Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop someone from Killing themself?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ynotdu wrote: »
    it is not something i intend to argue any further,you may at sometime in your future have reason to revisit what you feel now.
    I've moved the posts to a thread in feedback to prevent this thread going off topic. Please discuss it there if you wish to discuss it further.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660044

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

a person can come to love life again. i'd intervene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seems one or two are getting suicide and euthanasia mixed up on here.
    Agonist wrote: »
    Teenager in a hissy fit and numerous other scenarios, I'd intervene
    Adult with head screwed on and mentally shipshape, particularly if they'd tried and failed before, I'd think twice before presuming I knew better than they did what they wanted.

They don't know better, don't have the head screwed on, or are mentally ship shape! Good God, can't believe I'm pointing this out!
    I don't like people who say that tbh.

If someone reaches a point where they want to kill themselves they probably genuinely believe that no one will care or that there family and friends will be better of without them.

I don't think many people would kill themselves just to hurt their family.

Exactly. Even further than that, they believe they are doing friends and family a favour!
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    No. Nobody is ever going to take a decision like that lightly. Everyone should have control of their life and the end is part of that

But they haven't, if they aren't thinking clearly.

I know a family who have never forgived themselves because they thought their sister/daughter was ok. They released her against medical advice. A week later she committed suicide.

They blame themselves.

Why? Because they didn't understand how sick she was. Her aim in life was suicide. The reason she was so content and fooled the family was because she had her suicide planned, to the last detail. The family thought she was cured!

The pain that family still goes through must be horrendous.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd try to talk someone out of killing themselves, but I'd probably be pretty bad at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i have intervened but as is the nature of my work at the moment. whether i'm paid or not i still think i should intervene.

i don't think i could live with myself if i didn't and i'd always wonder what if. thats one massive cross to bare and selfish as some might say it is, i'm not willing to bare it.

depression is a terrible thing but i don't think you can say anyone is in the right state of mind if they want to kill themselves. the only exception would be those waiting to die and even then i'm not sure where i'd draw the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Lads and lassies I just got a text out of the blue from a girl I know in RL living 200 miles away from my saying 'I feel like im gonna commit suicide so ****in bored x'

Now it screams of attention but still you cant just ignore this. You never know what frame of mind people are in. Certainly I cant see how anyone could be in a right frame of mind to seriously consider harming themselves.

I have replied with compassion but with reasoning too as I have taken this as face value - a cry for attention, as I know what she can be like and suspect she has underlying bipolar and borderline personalty issues, but often there is real intent there. Depression is one of the biggest killers out there - it is like living through hell on earth where the littlest of things can cause excruciating pain.

I guess its a question of making the best individual judgement, but never EVER ignore a cry for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

brummytom wrote: »
    'OK' says she for a minute.

What, like "Oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

What, like "Oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?"

Yes. Precisely like that.

But in a normal English accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I tried to intervene once, after receiving a couple of emails threatening suicide over a fight about something really trivial. Didn't know what to do, went to the guards for help cause I thought yer one was going to hang herself (it seemed really serious). Guards went around to the person's house - and I got a nasty email from this person the next day, telling me off in very, very nasty words for sending the guards round - "what would the neighbours think".

That taught me to be a little more careful (which, having never dealt with such issues before, I wasn't. I was panicking).

Difficult topic though. How do you tell the attention seekers from the people in real danger of committing suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lads and lassies I just got a text out of the blue from a girl I know in RL living 200 miles away from my saying 'I feel like im gonna commit suicide so ****in bored x'
    Those multi teen suicides in south wales last year brought home how if people are so pissed off with life they feel they have to end it .Was it coincidental that most of them knew each other from the same area and were in constant touch by internet chat room / facebook and that they all suffered the same symtons over a period ,at same time ?

The days of telling sombody to 'pull yourself together and just 'get on with it ' are over and people can go and get help .But what works for one person may not for another and many do not want take prescribed medication .There can be one factor in a person wanting to kill themselfs or a multitude of reasons , such are the complexities of being human and we dont always understand why we feel like we do when we do ie, am I depressed ? just fed up ? is this / that problem worth getting all worked up over ? am I making a mountain out of a moehill ? Can I do something to improve my moods ,cut something negative out of my life ?

I do feel for anybody who suffers so much pain in their lifes that they want to kill themsels but that's not much good to them when the have gone and succeeded in commiting the act .

And on the subject , Just saw this now

The father of EastEnders actress Samantha Womack has been found dead at his seaside home.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20090824/ten-janus-dad-is-found-hanged-c60bd6d.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Is P hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

skregs wrote: »
    Pretty similar thing happened to me.

On Thursday I had my car repossessed.

Anyway, I went to garage to sort some stuff out in my old car and the like, when I heard the people shouting.
    "Sally" I says to my wife, "What's going on next door?".
    "Oh don't worry about that Tony, you said there'd be some noise today, and they should ignore it".

'OK' says me for a minute.
    "Tony, didn't the man next door just lose his wife?" She asked.
    "Yep, and his house got cleared out the other day - he loves that thing. I saw him yesterday, he shook my hand and said 'goodbye' "
    "Did he say where he was going?"
    "No, I didn't think to ask actually."
    (I was in a daze trying to fix the car, so wasn't quite with it)

Eventually, the wife talks to another neighbour and fire, police and ambulance turn up... obviously, the neighbour had tried to kill himself.
    skregs wrote: »
    I killed myself once. Pain in the arse really, wouldn't recommend it

Wow you really tried hard to be funny and not even one 'thanks'. For shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I don't think many people would kill themselves just to hurt their family.

That isn't the point being made. It is a case of the individual putting his/her pain ahead of the pain to be inflicted on their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

yeah, I always find it deeply upsetting when i see a mother or father to young children commit suicide.

when you decide to have children, you undertake the largest commitment you'll ever make in life. and that commitment includes enduring whatever hardships may come and continuing to be there and provide for your children, your dependents.

i understand that its a mental illness... but i think its such a shame when people put their own worries/concerns ahead of their children and end up leaving their children without that parental support. when this is the case, surely there must be some kind of resentment there? also, if a family has large commitments - large mortgage, etc. - to leave the other spouse in the thick of it and be left to struggle to make ends meet and foot all these bills is just wrong. life insurance does not pay out when its suicide.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Anyone thinking of suicide or who thinks someone else is at serious risk of suicide should contact the authorities or the Samaritans.

If you are seriously considering doing yourself harm you or killing yourself you should talk to the Samaritans. They really can help you.

End of.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement