Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HD

Options
  • 23-08-2009 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Nearly out of space on my 160GB HPG70 Laptop. When i purchased I had the option of a 250GB HD or the 160GB, complete with BlueRay Drive. I went for the Blueray option with plans to buy an external HD when low on space.
    Any suggestions for a decent priced external drive, I'm thinking of a 500gb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You could go one better and by an internal drive for the laptop if you were up to fitting it, plenty of guides on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thomasjo

Would it be cheaper to get an internal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well depends on what kind of external drive you were planning to get.

Portable hard-drives 2.5" are more expensive than the 3.5" drives which require a power supply...
    Laptops have a 2.5" hard-drives and do not support 3.5".

What type of drive you were gonna get really depends on firstly if you need to be able to use it on the move or indeed if you were gonna be carrying it around with you a lot...
    Then the smaller usb powered external or upgrading the internal drive would be beneficial as the 3.5" drives are a bit of a hassle to carry around with their power supply and they can't be used on the move either as they need a socket...

But otherwise if you want cheaper storage and will only need to use it when near a power supply then go with the 3.5" ones.

Effluo wrote: »
    Well depends on what kind of external drive you were planning to get.

Portable hard-drives 2.5" are more expensive than the 3.5" drives which require a power supply...
    Laptops have a 2.5" hard-drives and do not support 3.5".

What type of drive you were gonna get really depends on firstly if you need to be able to use it on the move or indeed if you were gonna be carrying it around with you a lot...
    Then the smaller usb powered external or upgrading the internal drive would be beneficial as the 3.5" drives are a bit of a hassle to carry around with their power supply and they can't be used on the move either as they need a socket...

But otherwise if you want cheaper storage and will only need to use it when near a power supply then go with the 3.5" ones.

Just looking for extra space to backup fikes to. Putting movies, pics etc.. on. Mainly used at home so power supply is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Data is worthwhile protecting, dont buy cheap storage, thats not to say you cant get a good deal though.

I'd recommend a WD MyWorldBook or Seagate FreeAgent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Thomasjo wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper to get an internal drive.

€105 for a 500GB internal drive (that's the most expensive)

See komplett.ie or dabs.ie for external prices to compare

Jev/N wrote: »
    €105 for a 500GB internal drive (that's the most expensive)

See komplett.ie or dabs.ie for external prices to compare

Thanks, the budget is €100 approx, so hoping to get a 1TB external if possible

Advertisement