Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any specials on Irish whiskies ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The offer in Dunnes is a 20% off most of the IDL premium whiskies. Premium in this case means 12yo and over. I've also seen the €19.99 Tullamore offer in various guises around for the last 3 months also.

I think you'll find that there will be more and more deals on whiskey over the next year even vodka is getting the discount treatment this year which I've never really seen before. Sales of whiskey have really fallen in Ireland and it is about time that all brands are properly reduced in Ireland. Not neccessairly to UK levels but to fair levels. Until that happens people will continue to shop across the border.

Jameson will be reduced in dunnes this week, no doubt all the other shops will follow suit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The offer in Dunnes is a 20% off most of the IDL premium whiskies. Premium in this case means 12yo and over. I've also seen the €19.99 Tullamore offer in various guises around for the last 3 months also.

I think you'll find that there will be more and more deals on whiskey over the next year even vodka is getting the discount treatment this year which I've never really seen before. Sales of whiskey have really fallen in Ireland and it is about time that all brands are properly reduced in Ireland. Not neccessairly to UK levels but to fair levels. Until that happens people will continue to shop across the border.

More sales are definitely a good thing, and not a bad thing. I assumed the reason they poured so much money and marketing into Jameson was to get that as an entry level brand and a sort of psuedo premium one (with its inflated price) that people would use an everyday but that the ultimate goal was to get people to at least splash out on the Crested 10, 12yr or whatever once in a while.

Tesco have both Jameson and Powers 12yr old on sale @ €30.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    More sales are definitely a good thing, and not a bad thing. I assumed the reason they poured so much money and marketing into Jameson was to get that as an entry level brand and a sort of psuedo premium one (with its inflated price) that people would use an everyday but that the ultimate goal was to get people to at least splash out on the Crested 10, 12yr or whatever once in a while.

I think when a company releases a more premium whiskey, the one below it in the range experiences a boost in sales. People tend to go for the second along the line. This happened with Jameson, or was the plan, I think, when they released the Jameson 18. People tend to go for the next whiskey down from the top, for some reason.

Brockagh wrote: »
    I think when a company releases a more premium whiskey, the one below it in the range experiences a boost in sales. People tend to go for the second along the line. This happened with Jameson, or was the plan, I think, when they released the Jameson 18. People tend to go for the next whiskey down from the top, for some reason.

That's an excellent point Broc

IDL have gone on a solo run with Jameson again in Ireland. They have realigned the price point of their 3 iconic blends. (Yes PAddy is an iconic blend whether you like it or not ;) )

So before you had 3 equal priced blends there is now a clear differentiation. Paddy 24.99, Powers 25.99 & Jameson 26.99. This is just pure marketing as they are clearly just trying to premiumise Jameson. :mad:

The regular Whiskies should be cheap as chips for regular drinking but have in the last fwe years got very expensive for what they are. The likes of Crested Ten or blackbush should be a a step up i.e. something a bit more special down the pub but still regular drinkers. 12yo's should then be the starting point of a premium brand yet still affordable. Then you should have the 18yo as your once a year special whiskey but at 125Euro that is way over the top and a price point around 75Euro is more apporpriate.

IDL are happy to take single malt price points for their 12yo whiskies yet they won't use that structure for their 18yo. I can get Bowmore or Laphroaig 18yos for Around the 75Euro mark in Ireland. And that is why I refuse to but Jameson 18yo.

Time to cop themselves on. Rant over :D

• Advertisement

Oh I agree 100% with you there, absolutely. As it stands the Irish "entry-level" whiskeys are : Dunphys, O'Briens and Tescos. And they of course should be Bushmills, Kilbeggan and the unholy trinity from IDL. Maybe with Tullamore Dew thrown in there? In fairness Kilbeggan's the cheapest of the lot. It's mad though seeing these special prices going around cause this is how much the stuff SHOULD cost!

€18-20 for Paddy, Powers and Jameson et al
    €30 for Powers12 and Jameson12 - that's Tesco's current "sale".

€30 regular price for Black Bush is crazy. It's a great whiskey and it's yummy but not that yummy I don't think, not €30 yummy. My girlfriend got me a Glenfiddich 15yr Solera for less than €30 from Morrisons. Granted that's with the UK's vat and excise.

Back to the Jammy... the "premium" price on it is obviously in part to pay for the sexy (and depresingly bland) advertising. Has anyone else noticed the slightest hint of advertising for POwers? I saw a billboard as well as a little sticky out thing on the Tesco shelves.

Btw the offers i Dunnes and Tesco (and O'Briens for the RedBreast - €30!!) are not to be sniffed at. YOu're basically getting the price of tax knocked off so you're paying what you'd normally pay for it in Newry give or take fiddy cent.

I'd say 99.9% of IDL's advertsing budget goes into Jameson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Powers is 15.99 in super valu!

Now that's impressive ... must be selling for below cost price.

The Duty alone is circa 10Euro per bottle and 2.83 VAT :eek:

So possibly less than 3 euro to cover production transport and retailing.

I'm all for cheaper whiskey but this is ridiculous ... stock up guys as you may never see these prices ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hairy MustDash

Feck that, you can get it cheaper in Northern Ireland! It's a crime that Irish whiskey is most expensive in Ireland cheapest just about everywhere else. There's never really deals or offers on spirits here with the exception of at Xmas or the odd 20cent off of a bottle of vodka

With the Excise Duty rates we have to pay in Ireland , Spirits will never be cheap . I work in an offie ,and I can tell you the margin we make on bottles of spirits is tiny, less then 10% in most cases, and particularly brands. This leaves very little room for 'deals'. When you see the big supermarkets selling the likes of jameson for €20 and less, it is madness thats about €3-€4 cheaper then the cost price, direct from Irish Distillers.

Yes spirits in Ireland are too expensive but the reason is not because retailers are creaming it , it's because the government is.!!!
    Out of the cost of any bottle of spirits bought in Ireland €14-€15 is TAX !!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hairy MustDash

That's over €8.50 below cost price !!!

Here's a snapshot of IDL pricing for Powers!!

powerspricing.jpg w1533.png

Had to update on the powers, its actually 18 quid I am sure I saw it listed as 15.99 on a site before. an extra two quid, still pretty good value though.

The Duty alone is circa 10Euro per bottle and 2.83 VAT :eek:

So possibly less than 3 euro to cover production transport and retailing.

I'm all for cheaper whiskey but this is ridiculous ... stock up guys as you may never see these prices ever again.

I'm actually getting delerious looking at all of these specials! I'm afraid to go back in to O'Briens in case they're stil selling Redbreast 12yr for €30.50!!!
    With the Excise Duty rates we have to pay in Ireland , Spirits will never be cheap . I work in an offie ,and I can tell you the margin we make on bottles of spirits is tiny, less then 10% in most cases, and particularly brands. This leaves very little room for 'deals'. When you see the big supermarkets selling the likes of jameson for €20 and less, it is madness thats about €3-€4 cheaper then the cost price, direct from Irish Distillers.

Yes spirits in Ireland are too expensive but the reason is not because retailers are creaming it , it's because the government is.!!!
    Out of the cost of any bottle of spirits bought in Ireland €14-€15 is TAX !!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If the excise and VAT was lowered would you be passing on the saving to the customer? Would ye f*ck!!
    Had to update on the powers, its actually 18 quid I am sure I saw it listed as 15.99 on a site before. an extra two quid, still pretty good value though.

Yeah it's €18 in Dunnes as well.

Irish Mist is €20 in Dunnes as is Tullamore Dew (still!) and Bushmills orangeman Label.

You can also get Tyrconnell Single Malt for about €28 I think it was. Connemara Peated Malt was just over 30. Even Middleton VR and the top shelf Jameson stuff has been knocked down. No one could beat Tesco's 20% off of Powers and Jameson 12yr though.

This leaves very little room for 'deals'. When you see the big supermarkets selling the likes of jameson for €20 and less, it is madness thats about €3-€4 cheaper then the cost price, direct from Irish Distillers.

The supermarkets, to my knowledge don't buy it below cost price from IDL. They can knock €8 off the price because it will get people into the store and they will make up that money from other price increases in the store.

What does that make jameson 12yr or powers in tesco so? I've to go by them tomorrow, might pop in if they have the best price atm.

What does that make jameson 12yr or powers in tesco so? I've to go by them tomorrow, might pop in if they have the best price atm.

Tesco did have both Powers and Jameson 12yr for €30 (give or take a few pence) and the card said that that was "20% off". Now they're at the same price as Dunnes which is €35 and the card says "10% off".

€30 is about what you'd pay for them in Northern Ireland give or take a Euro, €35 is still too expensive for them I think though.

Jameson 12YO is €30.94 in dunnes as of today.

Jameson 12YO is €30.94 in dunnes as of today.

:eek::(

Powers 12yr €30 in O'Briens!!!

This is madness.

This is madness.

**** must get down to o'briens. I'm seriously considering just buying all my booze for the next six months over the next week!

This is madness.

Its the same in dunnes too, bushmills and a few others will be even cheaper at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Its the same in dunnes too, bushmills and a few others will be even cheaper at the weekend.

Why is that?

Why is that?

Well the biggest savings in Irish people (of the 26county variety) shopping in Northern Ireland is on the drink especially on the spirits. And of course we Oirish loike our spirits!

Anyway, the supermarkets are falling over each other to make the whiskey as cheap as chips. I'd say though the IDL are at the bottom of it. They must be flogging the Jamesons et al cheap to the super-markets.

Not much savings on the Black Bush though...

:(

I meant why will they be even cheaper-poster seemed to suggest the prices will be coming down again this weekend? That's how I read it anyways. Also, IDL??

I'd say though the IDL are at the bottom of it. They must be flogging the Jamesons et al cheap to the super-markets.

:(

I don't think they are selling it cheaper.The supermarkets pay full price and reduce it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Aldi doing a very good 8 yr old blend for 19.99 .

A Cooley blend - for under 20 - excellent stuff

I don't think they are selling it cheaper.The supermarkets pay full price and reduce it themselves.

So the Supermarkets must be taking a hit on the whiskey? Or at the least only making the smallest nominal profit to stay above the "no below cost selling" law?

It's obvious they're doing it to try and coax people in to shop there and not go to Newry. With the savings on the whiskey at the minute it's probably not worth driving to Newry from Dublin to save maybe another Euro or so. Though, if there's specials on up there as well... then it's a pointless exercise. Dunnes in Newry was insanely cheaper for its Irish whiskey compared to Dublin last time I was up there (in Sept.)
    shanel23 wrote: »
    Aldi doing a very good 8 yr old blend for 19.99 .

A Cooley blend - for under 20 - excellent stuff

Is that...

"Aldi are doing an 8yr old Cooley blend for €19.99"

or

"Aldi are doing a very good 8yr old blend for €19.99" and "Aldi are doing a Cooley blend for under 20"

???

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Is that...

or

"Aldi are doing a very good 8yr old blend for €19.99" and "Aldi are doing a Cooley blend for under 20"

???

The first one :)

So the Supermarkets must be taking a hit on the whiskey? Or at the least only making the smallest nominal profit to stay above the "no below cost selling" law?

It's obvious they're doing it to try and coax people in to shop there and not go to Newry. With the savings on the whiskey at the minute it's probably not worth driving to Newry from Dublin to save maybe another Euro or so. Though, if there's specials on up there as well... then it's a pointless exercise. Dunnes in Newry was insanely cheaper for its Irish whiskey compared to Dublin last time I was up there (in Sept.)

Is that...

or

???

Alan, are you working for the Newry Chamber of Commerce?

Haha nope :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Regular Jameson 70cl is €17 in Tesco at the moment. Says €19 on all their adverts and flyers but it's €17 in store.

Advertisement