Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm reckons its wasted on the youth...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

2FM just seems to try too hard to be cool.
    Today FM just seem to have all the great presenters and a good attitude...
    Although there are other stations that have some class shows, like Tom Dunne's show on Nexs Talk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Agree, I only started to listen to Tom Dunne's show before I moved. tis a good one alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

moved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That station still on the go?
    Haven't tuned in to it in years. Wow. I honestly thought that station was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Today FM is bollocks from 7am up to 5pm.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Today FM is bollocks from 7am up to 5pm.

Ah c'mon ya gotta love GIFT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

2fm needs (yes I'm afraid to say...) an image revamp.(again!)

Livin the life lovin the music is by far the worst station moto in the country..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

bbability wrote: »
    Livin the life lovin the music is by far the worst station moto in the country..

Comin' atcha?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

2fm has too many nerdy 'but i'm cool and hip with the kids' posers like rick o'shea. and larry gogan playing beyonce and jay-z? wtf!? he hasn't a clue who they are. hes about 70.

today fm has honest, sincere people. not trying to put on a front. ray d'arcy is quite clearly not putting on an act, he moans and complains when he's in a bad mood. he always speaks his mind, even if it rubs up some of his listeners the wrong way. but his show is brilliant. its honest and refreshing. and ray foley is quite clearly a typical jack-the-lad type you might meet in the pub and have a bit of craic with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

2fm are taking the lazy way out by changing their target audience to an older demographic. They claim that there's too much competition out there for the 15-34s but there's more competition in the older agegroups. RTE, our national broadcaster, will now have no "youth" station, what a joke. 2fm at the moment is completely confused by what it is, but they could get someone with some initiative to come in and give it a shake up and completely relaunch it for the under 35s. But I guess this is too much effort so they're going to stick with stalemates like Dave Fanning, Gerry Ryan and Larry Gogan :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

This all sounds horribly familiar as The Reynolds Sisters attested to back in '89 but still very much applies to today, here are the lyrics:

All we wanna' do is have a good time,
    then you went and took our hearts away.
    And no-one ever asks us our opinion, no no, we don't get a say.
    AM, FM all of that jazz, we'd rather sing along with Yazz.
    Whatever happened to the radio ?
    They never play the songs we know.

Golden Oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back.
    I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac.
    No Heavy Metal, Rock 'n' Roll, music from the past,
    I'd rather Jack, to Fleetwood Mac.

Can't they see that every generation, has music for its own identity ?
    So why's the DJ on the radio station, always more than twice the age of me ?
    Who needs Pink Floyd or Dire Straits, it's not our music that's out of date
    Demographic stereo, they never play the songs we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

2FM is a pile of ****... always has been too, as soon as any decent stations came on air it was shown up for what it is... an old dinosaur that's rife with cronieism and full of old knobs who don't know **** from shinola...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Big Tone wrote: »
    The Reynolds Sisters
    Currently residing in the Where are they now? file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who is the likes of Nikki Hayes catering to? Certainly not anyone older than 20. Her core listenership would be in the 12-19 range.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Who is the likes of Nikki Hayes catering to? Certainly not anyone older than 20. Her core listenership would be in the 12-19 range.

Defo agree with that.. its like candy radio..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Is she the Fat one from Roscommon, Feckin annoys the head off me...
    2fm is rubbish.

No. That would be Ruth Scott.

Nikki Hayes is the blonde one from Wicklow. Real name Eimear. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No. That would be Ruth Scott.

Nikki Hayes is the blonde one from Wicklow. Real name Eimear. ;)

Eimear O'Keefe is it?

APM wrote: »
    Eimear O'Keefe is it?
    Yes indeedy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

same crap different day from 2FM and RTE. Instead of looking for new talent the closed shop attitude kicks in again. i can just imagine it. the fat cats are sitting having a meeting , dave fanning walks by the window and one of them says "hey stick him in a slot!"

if they want listeners they should sack colm and jim jim, ruth scott and rick o'shea for starters. they are painful to listen to and almost every time you turn the radio on ruth scott is on it bambling on about something stupid.

and maybe they should start playing some good music and not the likes of the pussy cat dolls and rhianna every secong song.

RTE's 2FM - have some imagination for gods sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

stevoman wrote: »
    RTE's 2FM - have some imagination for gods sake.

na that doesn't work in the civil service... your not meant to think...

Anyways...I'm waiting for the announcement that Barry Lang is returning to Drivetime, I mean if Will can broadcast from Limerick why can't Barry broadcast from Dubai;)

but seriously 2fm hasn't a problem with talent. There's lots of it there it just hasn't been tweeked and imaged correctly. Image scores a massive zero for 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Surely the purpose of 2fm should be to focus on new Irish music, give smaller Irish bands exposure whilst mixed in with a good international flavour of music which does not get typical commercial exposure. Therefore it could fulfil some of its 'public service remit'.

The best example of this I have is Triple J in Australia, which is never usually reliable for background music for family gatherings, but is very heavily involved in plugging local Aussie acts, arranging showcasese etc whilst using its tie in with the channel ABC to do the same, live sessions and the like. BBC Radio 1 does something quite similar in the UK. I am sure canada etc has very similar public radio station set ups.

By taking its off brave and off centre approach, JJJ is a very successful station in its own right and has huge credibility.

But I'm sure RTE thinks that something like this is not feasible in Ireland. Oh wait - is that Phantom I hear??

Its a joke of a station as it is and should be closed down in its current form. It needs a radical overhaul, and not in the direction of playing classic hits and current soft pop/rock all day. There are plenty of commercial stations well capable of serving that market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well the new boss is a guy called John McMahon. I'm sure that some of you here can fill us in on his resumé

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Evelyn O'Rourke's husband.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Evelyn O'Rourke's husband.
    Nepotism rules in RTÉ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

2fm are taking the lazy way out by changing their target audience to an older demographic. They claim that there's too much competition out there for the 15-34s but there's more competition in the older agegroups. RTE, our national broadcaster, will now have no "youth" station, what a joke.

Well said. It's a disgrace that they are simply abdicating that part of their remit. The intended listenership to RTE radio, on any station, will now exclude everyone under 26. Isn't that about half the population?

Clare Duignan, the head of radio, says the relaunched 2FM will target “slightly older adults who still feel quite young”. Start out with an ambition that condescendingly twee, and there's no knowing how bad it can get.

If you want the sound of the future, imagine being smacked in the face with a wet copy of Q magazine. Forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

+1 to what mollser said. Triple j is a brillant example of what state owned stations should be doing. Maybe set up a seperate station for all the top 40 chart stuff, basically what spin play, and then send 2 fm in the triple j direction... We can dream i suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree with the thrust of the above, the problem is money - 2FM is apparently able to fund itself through advertising alone, unlike the rest of RTE. If they changed thier remit and consequetly lost a significant % of thier listenership the ad revenue would fall while promoting new music through live events etc would cost some money. RTE is in no position is put money into 2FM, it needs to get as much out of it as it can these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

No matter what policy you go with, you'll exclude an age group. Having said that, I might just start listening to 2fm again if I thought I'd hear songs with actual melodies that aren't sung by women ingesting helium and imitating goats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement