Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mayo becoming a no go area thread locked.

Options
  • 23-08-2009 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

The "Is Mayo becoming a no go area? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055652784 thread in after hours was locked for no apparent reason. The thread started off about the recent stabbings in Mayo and Dublin and Dubliners were being blamed. The language and insults were flying. I reported one post, but nothing was done, I didn't get a message or anything. BUT... when the truth started to emerge (locals were the perps, not Dubliners) and the people who were mouthing off about scum in Dublin were caught out the thread was suddenly locked. Can the thread be unlocked? Bearing in mind any thread that mentions Dublin is immediately moved to the Dublin forum, but other threats (Leitrim, Galway, Mayo) threads seem perfectly fine in After Hours.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Mods don't reply to all reported posts (otherwise they wouldn't have time to do anything else), nor do they have to take action on every post.

I checked the reported post, and considering the general tone of that thread, it was probably one of the less problematic posts there.

Having read the thread in question, I'd agree with the desicion to lock it. There was absolutely nothing useful to be added into the mix there - it had run it's course. Personally, if I was mod there I would have locked it a long way back, but this is why I don't read After Hours, never mind moderate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It descended into petty bickering. There were also too many wild accusations being bandied about.

As for Dublin related threads, the ones moved to the Dublin forum are usually related to people looking for a plumber in Dublin or something akin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Mods don't reply to all reported posts (otherwise they wouldn't have time to do anything else), nor do they have to take action on every post.

I understand.
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    but this is why I don't read After Hours, never mind moderate it..

Yeah, I see your wisdom here. I just feel that once the tables had turned and people were exposed as small minded, tribalistic, anti-Dub and borderline racist the thread was locked. When they were in full flight, (wrongly) banging on about the scourge of Dubliners in the country nothing was done.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Bearing in mind that I may not fully understand the inner workings of the AH Mods' minds, you can take this any way you want - it's just my point of view.

Irrespective of what the subject-matter is, once a thread descends into petty bickering, all hope is lost for the thread because never has a thread in AH gone from reasonable thread -> petty bickering -> reasonable thread. So, they're just locked.

As it happens, I'd say AH denizens are one part anti-Dublin, one part anti-outside Dublin and about 50 parts couldn't-care-less. It's just that where contentious issues arise, the people who care are the only ones who bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

As it happens, I'd say AH denizens are one part anti-Dublin

Wow, I honestly would have said 99% anti-Dublin, but don't have a clue about the city at all. Anyway, it was returning to a normal thread, the idiots bandying around theories and quoting bogus "garda sources" were proved to be wrong. But, I think I will take a leaf out of BuffyBot's book and not read After Hours, I'm not slagging off boards.ie, but afterhours makes you wonder about peoples mind frame.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement