Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I change networks?

• 23-08-2009 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with Meteor and have been for a while now but I'm seeing little advantage to staying with them. I'm considering moving to 3 and getting myself a C905. What are they like as a network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's kind of hard to recommend a network when you haven't given any indication of what you want/use from your network. What level of calls/texts/data do you use/plan to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm a light enough user actually. Texts, calls, the odd picture. Wi-fi with the C905 is one of the things that's really attracting me though. Which is why I'm thinking of the change of networks. Meteor just don't have a good selection of high end phones, and I'd rather network support than going the sim free route. It would be more hassle too. So with the idea of upgrading I'm wondering would I be loosing out by switching network? I think the answer is probably a pretty obvious 'no'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RobD_

well then in that case, 3 are brilliant for you ad everybody for that matter :)

im with them and never had a problem with anything... EVER

Ever sounds good. Just a bit of a hang up having been with them for so long. What the hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Shryke wrote: »
    Ever sounds good. Just a bit of a hang up having been with them for so long. What the hell.

Just a little advice, if you're looking for "network support" for your phone, then 3 aren't exactly good at it. But I'll let other people share their experiences...

• Advertisement

Adro947 wrote: »
    Just a little advice, if you're looking for "network support" for your phone, then 3 aren't exactly good at it. But I'll let other people share their experiences...

ive being with 3 for a year and i have never needed network support or anything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

RobD_ wrote: »
    ive being with 3 for a year and i have never needed network support or anything :p

Trust me; you're very, very lucky then.

Trust me; you're very, very lucky then.

nope... they have a good network... its just the broadband that everybody is pissing about not the phones for calling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

RobD_ wrote: »
    nope... they have a good network... its just the broadband that everybody is pissing about not the phones for calling etc.

No, I've found that people are pretty p*ssed about the phone services too in many cases.

Many many cases.

However, if you like them, go for it. Recommend them to beat the band. That's totally your prerogative. (You will have to get used to other people contradicting you when you state that people have no issues with them though. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm in the same position. With meteor 7 years now but looking to get a new phone shortly that will need good 3G for full benefit. I was thinking of switching to 3 because they have a download add-on of 1Gb for €10. And of course, a better signal outside dublin than meteor have.

On the other hand though, my price plan I'm on with meteor is a 20c/min one. Call prices these days are 30-35c/min.

Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm in the same position. With meteor 7 years now but looking to get a new phone shortly that will need good 3G for full benefit. I was thinking of switching to 3 because they have a download add-on of 1Gb for €10. And of course, a better signal outside dublin than meteor have.

On the other hand though, my price plan I'm on with meteor is a 20c/min one. Call prices these days are 30-35c/min.

Hmm.

I was thinking the same but meteor are updating their data plans in September so your probably best to wait and see what they offer. I hope its as good value as 1Gb for €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I was with 3 for about 2 years..no problems really..

I just moved over to meteor bill pay lite, and my 1st experience of them is terrible.

-went to join up, was asked to pay a 50 euro deposit..i refused. I wrote to meteor asking why I was asked for a deposit, and could they waive it..got a reply saying they would be in touch withing 5 days. 2weeks later, after ringing them 3 times to remind them, I still heard nothing..

- I go back into the shop to join up again, this time they want a 300 euro deposit?What! I tell the guy to ring the head of credit control ..he does..he explains the situation and put her on to me. Her tone was condescending and rude, she said if I sent the letter she would have got it ..she basically thought I was bul****ting her..I tell her that I've been with both 3 and voda for years, never been asked for such deposit(at which point she interrupts me to say ''THATS IRRELEVANT''..I go on to say that its not irrelevant to me, I have never been asked to pay such a deposit before and I amn't going to start now.

She then asked me to put her back on to her colleuge ,5 mins later its all sorted..deposit waived..I asked him what she said, he said'' she found your letter and remembered reading it a while back, so its all ok''- No apology from her at all (however the Polish guy I was dealing with was brilliant-very professional, eficient and he kept apologising-real nice guy)

I opted to get the data add on, the guy told me to ring customer care to make sure it was activated. I did this when i went home and was on hold, listening to u2(not a fan!) for 29 mins!

This whole series of events just put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day!grrrr

edit: I forgot to add, even though bill pay lit is a 30 day contract, I had to sign a 12 month contract, but was told that its just standard, and that I wouldn't be held to it..?Not very professional.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never found Meteor any good when I used them - terrible service. Tempted to move over to the Three network but the amount of bad reviews puts me off (you will always get a % of people who never had a problem btw). Currently with o2 for a long time but just feel its expensive and there isnt a more suitable plan available. Vodafone are generally more expensive also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Im with meteor for 2 years, had very little problems...

Meteor are currently upgrading their telephone system.. and had great customer service!

btw: had three broadband, it was crap! phoned em, and speakin to a indian man (cant understand em)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I was with 3 in the past, but I changed over to meteor because of 3's totally Dire customer service, both in the shop and on the phone. From my personal experience, I cant say meteor will win any Customer care of the year awards, but generally the shop staff are ok, and the call centre people certainly make me less homicidal than 3's used to.

I will now brace myself for the backlash, as there seems to be a definite pro-3 agenda in action here...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I have been with 3 for a long time and have never had any big problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Matts

I was with 3 for a short time, and had two very large problems, so I switched to O2.

I wouldn't recommend 3 at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Was on 3 myself on best of both got so pissed off with them after the 1st month because they cut me off with no notice or anything because they had the wrong information which they were meant to change in the 1st place. But had great time rising the cc line and managed an apology which was a feat in itself. And if your moving to 3 just for the c905 i wouldnt recommend that phone owning one myself and my brother owning one nothing but trouble from day one! And also considering they are becoming end of life on most networks as of this month.

End of Life? As in they're being phased out?
    The C905 is pricy, the C902 less so. It doesn't have wi-fi though. What about the C902 for a phone? I like the look of it more than the 905 actually, it just doesn't have all of the features. Ideally I want a good camera, extra memory slot, wi-fi, radio, bluetooth, and a good screen. It doesn't need to be huge, just have good picture quality. This might be for a different topic but I'll just ask here!
    The more I'm reading the less I seem to care about which network. Seemingly they're all terrible. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

true they all have there problems from time to time, if the camera does not have to be 5mp i'd advise looking hard at the nokia e71, it really is a powerhouse of a phone, if your after a camera phone it might be worth waiting for the Sony Satio can't be very far away now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Shryke wrote: »
    End of Life? As in they're being phased out?
    The C905 is pricy, the C902 less so. It doesn't have wi-fi though. What about the C902 for a phone? I like the look of it more than the 905 actually, it just doesn't have all of the features. Ideally I want a good camera, extra memory slot, wi-fi, radio, bluetooth, and a good screen. It doesn't need to be huge, just have good picture quality. This might be for a different topic but I'll just ask here!
    The more I'm reading the less I seem to care about which network. Seemingly they're all terrible. :pac:
    The C905 is a great phone featurewise with a pretty sweet camera, decent enough GPS and WiFi but it's plagued with problems. The latest batch seem to have none of the hardware issues the initial ones did, but it's still very buggy software wise. There's an update released for the C905 almost every three weeks on the Sony Update Service and each time you update your phone, it's reset to factory default so you lose all texts, contacts, settings etc. Each update seems to introduce new faults too, the last update Sony released caused the phone to take 10 minutes to turn on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

+1 the sony c905 is pretty buggy and will probably drive you nuts, Sony Satio will be running symbian s60 so it should be a lot better than previous sony camera phones..

Advertisement