Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise from Dishwasher

• 23-08-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

My hotpoint dishwasher FDW60G is only 15 months old - and there's a strange noise coming from underneath it sounds the "motor" but I'm not really sure. I've checked the filter but there's nothing blocked - any advice at all would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Do you get this noise even if you run the machine empty (nothing in it)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

ttm wrote: »
    Do you get this noise even if you run the machine empty (nothing in it)?

Yes it's like a long drawn out loud buzzing.

Sorry can't really say from that discription but the only moving parts in a dishwasher are the motor aka the pump and a couple of valves. So some problem with the motor, its bearings, its mouniting or the pump impeller seem to be about the only things it could be. The valves can very rarely make a funny noise if they don't close/open properly.

Does it work OK otherwise?

Sorry can't really say from that discription but the only moving parts in a dishwasher are the motor aka the pump and a couple of valves. So some problem with the motor, its bearings, its mouniting or the pump impeller seem to be about the only things it could be. The valves can very rarely make a funny noise if they don't close/open properly.

Does it work OK otherwise?

Yes it is working - but I'm terrified - the machine will totally stop. The sound is very like the sound you'd get from an electric shower (the pump in the airing cupboard).

Any you any good at DIY? If not your going to need to get someone out to look at it.

• Advertisement

Any you any good at DIY? If not your going to need to get someone out to look at it.

I'll give anything a bash now - when I rang up the company it's 114 euro just for the man to come and see what the problem is.

Then move it so its still plumbed in but so you can get around it and run it to see if you can get a beter idea of where the noise is comming from. Once you have you can open it up and take a look inside, but you won't see much from the back of most machines normally as the motor is underneath so you need to drain it and tip it over on a few old towels. If your lucky you'll find something loose but if its not then you will still need to get someone out.

Google the model number and check for spare parts on eBay as if there is a common fault it should be fairly obvious after a bit of searching and looking for spares givces you and idea of what commony goes wrong as people don't keep spares in stock if they are never needed.

Then move it so its still plumbed in but so you can get around it and run it to see if you can get a beter idea of where the noise is comming from. Once you have you can open it up and take a look inside, but you won't see much from the back of most machines normally as the motor is underneath so you need to drain it and tip it over on a few old towels. If your lucky you'll find something loose but if its not then you will still need to get someone out.

Google the model number and check for spare parts on eBay as if there is a common fault it should be fairly obvious after a bit of searching and looking for spares givces you and idea of what commony goes wrong as people don't keep spares in stock if they are never needed.

ThanKs for that - I'll give that a try later on this evening. Failing finding anything I'll get an extended warranty in the morning and hopefully that will cover me for everything.

deelite wrote: »
    ThanKs for that - I'll give that a try later on this evening. Failing finding anything I'll get an extended warranty in the morning and hopefully that will cover me for everything.

Don't for get to unplug from the mains when you are poking around inside, common sence I know but still needs saying ;)

Don't for get to unplug from the mains when you are poking around inside, common sence I know but still needs saying ;)

How did you know I'm blonde.!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

How did you know I'm blonde.!!!!!!:D

ah my favorite subject "sterotypes" ;), but no nothing to do with that, just self preservation, as sometimes threads go very off topic if you don't state what should be obvious common sence.

There really is so little that could be making that sort of noise you probably will need an engineer out to repalce something major but still worth a look in case there's something loose or really weird like a small leak and rust all over the motor bearings, even had a few repairs after eeeek "mice" had moved into an appliance. Maybe you never removed the orignal transit packing and thats rubbing against the motor, just take a look and see. Just moving it out and back might even solve the problem :)

Take a look at http://home.howstuffworks.com/dishwasher.htm its a bit american in that it talks about american mains voltages but otherwise the principles are the same. It does show how few components there are to go wrong.

This might also be helpful http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/dishwasher/diagnose-dishwasher.php in particular the bit....

Dishwasher is noisy:

Check the spray arm for damage and obstructions
    Check the inlet filter screens
    Test the water inlet valve
    Check the motor and mounts
    Check the fan motor and blade
    Check the drain for obstructions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My hotpoint dishwasher
    There's your problem. Anything Hotpoint I've ever owned has lasted on average 18 months.

There's your problem. Anything Hotpoint I've ever owned has lasted on average 18 months.

I'm beginning to think this way too.

I didn't like to say that, while our Hotpoint dishwasher lasted 4 years I'd never buy another.

I didn't like to say that, while our Hotpoint dishwasher lasted 4 years I'd never buy another.

I'm going to call them now and get an extended warranty - all the appliances are hotpoint - (including the cooker).

I'm going to call them now and get an extended warranty - all the appliances are hotpoint - (including the cooker).

I wouldn't worry too much about the firdge/freezer or cooker as there isn't much to go wrong there :), dishwasher would be the item with the most moving parts and so potentially have more to go wrong.

Edit> Having said that I did buy a new Indest cooker a month back and it was DOA (took it back and got a replacment) wouldn't normally recommened them, but a sale + and extra 20% off made it a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I wouldn't worry too much about the firdge/freezer or cooker as there isn't much to go wrong there :), dishwasher would be the item with the most moving parts and so potentially have more to go wrong.
    Our Hotpoint Fridge/Freezer went bang after 14 months - don't forget they have motors too.

Our Hotpoint Fridge/Freezer went bang after 14 months - don't forget they have motors too.

I'm only really suggesting there is less to go wrong in a Fridge/Freezer, but even then I was forgetting you could buy some overpiced Whirlpool Fridge/Freezer that will keep you poor with overpriced servicing and filters.

Hmmmmmm 14month old Fridge/Freezer hope you got it fixed for free.

Advertisement