Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Weights Set

Options
  • 23-08-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Right!

I have a standard 1" bar and various weight plates, but the plates I have are too light and the most I can get on the bar altogether is 80kg. For deadlifts especially, I need more weight.

Sooooo, I've been looking around for weeks and weeks and can't really find a good solution that involves not much money. I simply don't have the money to buy 4 x 20kg plates at £30 (yes £) each.

I've already tried this: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1207430528-concrete_tire.jpg

I used this idea but modified it :

Cut thin strip of wood slightly larger than the diameter of the hole in the tyre on both sides and put wood inside tyre so cement would not escape and we get a tidy finish. The cement is poured in from a hole cut in the top of the tyre. I hope that's clear? confused.gif

First used a kart tyre and then with a car tyre leading to too light and too heavy weights respectively. The kart tyre being 10kg, the car tyre being 80! A BMX tyre seems the perfect size, and I also can't find other tyres between kart and tyre - even went to a tyre garage. I'm looking for around 40-50kg really.

Anyway, doing so with a BMX tyre is difficult and cumbersome as the tyre isn't wide and makes filling difficult, as well as no real space to cut a hole to fill the tyre.

Ideas?

Advertisement