Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone switched to Airtricity/Bord Gais?

• 23-08-2009 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Found airtricity good...

have you switched? are you going to?
    feelfree to leave comments and opinions!

Have you switched to Airtricity/Bord Gais 56 votes

Yes, Airtricity
    0%
    Yes, Bord Gais
    46%
    deadduckjimmycrackcormBadCharliejaggiebunnetbloberttirlEdwardiusspuriousQwerty?leexgebbelsteamjetjoeveryangrymanbaronflyguyNo6soundshamTim M-Ulucky-colmPinkTulipsJohnjaysus 26 votes
    No
    53%
    StarkbkTenshotdingdingirlrobinsfred funk }{kippy.G.crosstownkKoolKidMylowheebusjeebus10-10-20GERMAN ROCKSdeelitemaxwell smartpjordanfutura123Joey the lipsPayton 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

No
    Moved to Board Gais,

Apart from losing my account details, no problem.

Went fairly seamless.

I am in about 5 euro credit with the ESB also. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

Yes, Bord Gais
    yes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No
    Switched to Board Gais.
    Cheeper so far.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

No
    Bord Gais,Cheaper no problems.Didn't do Direct Debit so they didn't have my bank details to lose either.Win Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

No
    I changed to Bord Gais also. There's a saving of about 32 euro per 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Yes, Bord Gais
    congrats everyone who switched, yer now saven and so am I!!

some information:

Remember, airtricity give upto 13% cheaper (direct debit).

and bord gais give upto 14% cheaper, however, you must be an existing gas customer and pay directdebit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

No
    Switched to Bord Gais, far cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No
    Switch to board gas far cheaper me arse but cheaper! The way i figure is the adverage bill in winter is 250 and summer 130 so give 3 bills at 250 and 3 at 130 thats a total of 1140 a year a 12% saving on this is 130 euro over the year of roughly 20 euro per bill. Not a lot and only for one year reducing in the second and third.

But the way i figure is the ESB will accept me back if I am unhappy. I asked! and the 20 euro pays for my lotto! So board gas is giving me my lotto for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sohan

hmm, funny story:

was in Cork last year, applied online to switch to bord gais, no answer for 3 months (i kept waiting cos heard there was a huge backlog), nobody ever called me or emailed to say anything. eventually i ring them and they say there was a problem with getting my account number for the esb reading - they never bothered to ring or ask me, or let me know. not too keen for my business, i thought.

moved to limerick this year, said i'd try airtricity. met a door to door salesperson who took my details. letter comes in post with landlord's name still on bill (even though we agreed to change to mine). rang airtricity, agent no 1 says i can't do that, i will pass you on. no 2 says no sorry wrong dept i will pass you on. no 3 says no sorry i don't do that either. i say - all i want to do is change the name on the bill - it couldn't be that hard? he says wait while i find out who you were talking to earlier, that shouldn't have happened. i say, i don't wanna hold while you do that, he says ok i will ring you back.

a different guy (no 4) rings me back and asks do i have the docket the salesperson gave me. no i say, my wife has it and she's not here. ok. next day a 5th person rings to apologise for the inconvenience. that's ok i say, just change the name please. she says (surprise) oh sorry i can't do that, but i will get someone to ring you from another department in a half hour.

the frustration grows, no call appears for 4 hours. another guy (no 6 now) rings to apologise again. i know you are angry, he says. i am not angry, i say i just want the thing changed. it's really simple. he says fine - and at this stage i really couldn't believe it, but yes, he says that's ok i will pass you on to that dept now.

oh my god!

no ta, i am changing to bord gais (for all their sins)

Yes, Bord Gais
    dunno about bord gais and the security breach... although airtricity and esb had too...

• Advertisement

Yes, Bord Gais
    sohan wrote: »
    hmm, funny story:
    moved to limerick this year, said i'd try airtricity. met a door to door salesperson who took my details. letter comes in post with landlord's name still on bill (even though we agreed to change to mine). rang airtricity, agent no 1 says i can't do that, i will pass you on. no 2 says no sorry wrong dept i will pass you on. no 3 says no sorry i don't do that either. i say - all i want to do is change the name on the bill - it couldn't be that hard? he says wait while i find out who you were talking to earlier, that shouldn't have happened. i say, i don't wanna hold while you do that, he says ok i will ring you back. quote]

Before you do, you may not be allowed to switch to Airtricity ever again...for free

Go onto your account online and edit your details section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

Yes, Bord Gais
    Been with Airtricity a few months now and finding them good, definitely saving money too.

When i left ESB they sent me a solicitors letter as i was slow paying the last bill, got a letter from them a couple of weeks back saying 'We're so sorry that you were sent an solicitors letter, this was an error on our part. Apologies'... was in shock for days! They must be really suffering if they're actually trying their hand at being nice to people :D

Yes, Bord Gais
    It seam to be: Airtricity have 7, Bord Gais have 7 and esb have 5. We need someone else to have their say...

Congrats to all those who switched to airtricity (i did). and bord gais.

appoligies for cloggin yer mailbox

Yes, Bord Gais
    PinkTulips wrote: »
    Been with Airtricity a few months now and finding them good, definitely saving money too.

When i left ESB they sent me a solicitors letter as i was slow paying the last bill, got a letter from them a couple of weeks back saying 'We're so sorry that you were sent an solicitors letter, this was an error on our part. Apologies'... was in shock for days! They must be really suffering if they're actually trying their hand at being nice to people :D

glad to hear you switched to Airtricity, ESB have worse electricty sourse(S). thats why i moved to airtricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭blobert

Yes, Bord Gais
    Switched to Airtricity, could in theory have saved 1% more with Bord Gais but seeing as there have been lots of problems with our gas bills, decided not to.

Airtricity have been absolutely flawless, everything accurate, on time, no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

I'm a new customer in a new build and I rang bord Gais today to connect. They advised that I would be better to connect to ESB first (power is on just not in anyones name) and when I get my first bill then switch.

Which is fine but I'm still deciding between bord gais and airtricity so he might lose my business. I see airtricity rateds are set until March 2010. I cant find how long Bord Gais rates are guaranteed for. Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just after signing up to Airtricity. Their on-line application process was pretty painless (once I have found the right tool to open the meter box to get a reading).

Here's hoping for some nice winter savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,744 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No
    Can I ask anyone who hasnt switched yet, why they havent switched?

Switched to Bord Gais a few months ago. Bills cheaper as you would logicilly expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

board gais agent called to my door about 2 months ago, she took readings and all the necessary paper work and are we now on board gais?.......nope... as just got an ESB bill today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No
    Switched to Bord Gais. Far cheaper but I would have done it anyway 'cos I hate ineffecient monopolies.

I got a letter the other week saying I was entitled to a refund balance of €9.22 from ESB and to ring them to finalise the method of payment. My wife rang yesterday to sort it and they refused to talk to her because the account is in my name. She asked them to send out the cheque (payable to me) at the billing address that I have used for 23 yrs and was told I might have moved away, so they couldn't.

I appreciate that data protection is important but if my wife's running away fund is dependant on €9.22, she is stuck with me for a while yet. Anyway, after 23 minutes of 'option A' and 'your call is important to us', I can rest easy that a cheque, payable to me, is to be delivered to our home address. This cheque will be lodged by my wife to our joint account (the same joint account where the monthly direct debit came from) and promptly blown on a bag of spuds for the dinner

ESB, I have always hated you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

No
    Was it your final bill?

you will get a final one from ESB when they switch is about to happen.Also it took about 3 months for them to switch me over when I joined cos they had so many apps to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭pjordan

No
    Tim M-U wrote: »
    ... you must be an existing gas customer and pay directdebit.

I'm by no means a rep of Bord Gais but this is incorrect. There are discounts if you are an existing Gas customer and pay by direct debit BUT you are not obliged to do either which makes sense especially in the first case where only probabaly 30% of all urban areas in the country, apart entirely from rural areas, are connected to the Bord Gais Gas network.

I just bought a new old house in the countryside and have signed up with Bord Gais - Still awaiting my initial paperwork and first bill....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yes, Bord Gais
    Went with Airtricity because they try their best to get renewable energy.

Went online one night and it took no more then 5mins. That was in may this year and so far so good, no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Yes, Bord Gais
    I flicked over to Airtricity too. I get my gas from Bord Gais but was unhappy with my big bill last christmas eventhough my gas wasnt used much. I was away most of the time in Dec at parents house and my house mate was away in Cork so we had the gas off. If anything the bill should have been lower. When I questioned it I was told general stuff like 'oh people use the gas more around christmas' and 'maybe you left it on by mistake'. I told the rep that OFF means OFF and not on auto timer and also I'm not stupid and the excuses I was given was not satisfactory I felt I was over charged. I asked could my account be reviewed and didnt get a reply. So I'm tad bit bitter with bord gais. My gut feeling was I was over charged but I couldnt prove it. I sent them a bill amounts showing them the drastic price difference for december and said even if they upped the price by 25% it didnt make sense. They waffled me so much my customer care experience with was not good.

Anyhow because of all of the above I didn't flick to Bord Gais for my electricity. I will give Airtricity a go, plus I like the idea of supporting renewable energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

No
    8ofSpades wrote: »
    I'm a new customer in a new build and I rang bord Gais today to connect. They advised that I would be better to connect to ESB first (power is on just not in anyones name) and when I get my first bill then switch.
    Odd. I was in the same position (new build apt, connected to gas and esb, but no initial connection). Rang up Bord Gais, set up my gas account (all I needed was the meter number and reading, as well as bank details etc), then they transfered me to the Elec section and I set up my elec account. Done and dusted and got my first bills 8 weeks later. No issues at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

Bord Gais agent told me that Airtricity discount is only up to 31 March 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Yes, Bord Gais
    alder wrote: »
    Bord Gais agent told me that Airtricity discount is only up to 31 March 2010.
    According to the Airtricity Website today it says
    Terms and conditions apply. Discount on ESB unit rates until September 2010 only available to new customers. Future discounts will vary. Fuel mix comparison carried out annually by CER and is subject to change.

http://www.airtricity.com/ireland/for_your_home/

No matter what agent you talk too, best think about it and read the facts online before signing up to anything. An agent is on commission, its his/her objective to sway you his way no matter what company he represents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

yes, you are right. however, he compared Bord Gais to Airtricity. BG gives discount for 3 years.

coincidence or not, i received today a newsletter from Airtricity saying they dropped the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Johnjaysus

Yes, Bord Gais
    I moved my mother and myself over to Airtricity early this summer (April and May).

Yesterday I got my first request for a meter reading, when I was submitting the reading I checked my a\c with Airtricity and it is showing as in credit by the full amount I have paid them via direct debit since May.

I checked my mother's too and there are no 'bills' on her a\c either, and only one DD payment is showing.

I logged a call with their customer service desk online but have heard nothing back from Airtricity.

Anybody having a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Johnjaysus wrote: »
    I moved my mother and myself over to Airtricity early this summer (April and May).

Yesterday I got my first request for a meter reading, when I was submitting the reading I checked my a\c with Airtricity and it is showing as in credit by the full amount I have paid them via direct debit since May.

I checked my mother's too and there are no 'bills' on her a\c either, and only one DD payment is showing.

I logged a call with their customer service desk online but have heard nothing back from Airtricity.

Anybody having a similar experience?

They bill over larger periods.

Also you do realise that if your mother was getting Eletricity allowances while she was with ESB, she will not get these with Airtricity

Advertisement