Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone switched to Airtricity/Bord Gais?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

They bill over larger periods.

Also you do realise that if your mother was getting Eletricity allowances while she was with ESB, she will not get these with Airtricity

An airtricity sales person called to me earlier today and was a bit pushy and didn't like the questions I asked him eg: Are you going to charge the same as esb after promotion is over in 2010.Also I get esb allowance as I have arthritis and cannot work,I then asked about my electric allowance and he read from a paper that he said was from the hse .This paper had no hse header on it and he kept easing it away when I tried to read it myself,:rolleyes:
    He then was ready to read my esb meter without me agreeing to anything .
    I told him I would check out online about airtricity and about my allowance .He then said "Look what I told you is correct,are you saying you don't want to save money".this was said in a fairy arrogant manner so I not so politely told him to take a hike.:mad:
    He had me at the start as I am for green energy but his attitude lost him the account.
    I haven't had anyone from board gas but I really want to get away from the robbing ESB.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Ack, again with this.

The ESB (ESBCS) are not robbing anyone. They could and would drop the price by anything up to a third if the CER would just take the shackles off.

Many people with budget controllers (token meters) have been caught out, as the new suppliers do not support them, as well as the allowances in question.

Typical Irish approach to regulation, the energy sector is meddled with to within a gnats whisker of anarchy and confusion, while the financial sector is left alone with chaotic results.

Anyway, I'm getting well OT, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

This really annoys me, the ESB aren't robbing anyone, they can't lower their prices because the Energy Regulator won't let them. This is because Bord Gais and Airtricity needed time to build a solid customer base, if the ESB had wanted and been allowed they could have destroyed Bord Gais and Airtricity before they even got started. The CER is trying to build up competition in the energy market which IMO is a bad move but that's an entirely different debate.

There's talk of allowing a free market for all, but that's all it is, talk, and hearsay.

It would be a big win for consumers if they got the lead out.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

OLP wrote: »
    This really annoys me, the ESB aren't robbing anyone, they can't lower their prices because the Energy Regulator won't let them. This is because Bord Gais and Airtricity needed time to build a solid customer base, if the ESB had wanted and been allowed they could have destroyed Bord Gais and Airtricity before they even got started. The CER is trying to build up competition in the energy market which IMO is a bad move but that's an entirely different debate.

I was OTT here as I didn't mean to annoy anyone.
    I was well annoyed with the salesmans attitude and forgot about the whole regulation thing--To be honest ,I posted in haste.
    I am finding things (Like most people) tight at present and I was looking for advice more than anything but went about it ar**ways.
    Sorry .:(

• Advertisement

Please don't apologise.

It's a common misconception, and easily corrected.

As things stand, it's certainly worth your while switching over, just watch your meter reading, and bear in mind the reduced rates are only guaranteed until easter so far :)

There's so much wrong with the above, I don't know where to start.

Price freeze? What price freeze?

Who buys 43% of electricity from who?

Dey doo doh, don't dey doh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I tink ur wrong dere buddy! Wen esb come out of their price freeze dey still wnt be cheaper than airtricity! Dey buy 43% of eletricity off them! Dey will never be cheaper!!! Its so mch cheaper for airtricity to create dere power as det dnt pay carbon taxes like d esb!

Jst look at d commercial figures and tell me whos winning dere??

Excuse me? Please spell properly if you want to get a point across.

IMO once the regulator allows the ESB to set thir own prices they could still come out and put Airtricity out of business if they wanted, but they like to keep their image clean so they wouldn't.

The ESB only ever buy electricity in time when there's an unexpectedly high demand without the means to supply at that point in time.

And if you are with Airtricity I can guarantee you that you will still use some ESB generated electricity, if you were to rely on 100% Airtricity for your electricity you would be up **** creek come Christmas Day, the highest demand day of the year.

I have nothing against Airtricity, I think we all know that renewable energy is the only way forward, I'm just saying that they don't do anything that the ESB can't and don't already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes, Bord Gais
    I did switch to Bord Gais, but moved again to Airtricity.

I see that after 2010, Airtricity go up.

Now, my question...

If i switched back to BG, would i get their savings again (as a new customer) for the 6 months. Is there anything to stop one doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I did switch to Bord Gais, but moved again to Airtricity. I see that after 2010, Airtricity go up. Now, my question...If i switched back to BG, would i get their savings again (as a new customer) for the 6 months. Is there anything to stop one doing this?

A very interesting question and I don't know the answer.

I doubt very much though if BGE would allow you the new customer discount all over again. I'd imagine it's a once-off offer.

Offering such a discount is a loss leader for BGE - and Airtricity - and is not sustainable in the long run.

I expect that we will see the cessation of the attractive first year discounts by BGE and Airtricity when the CER restrictions on ESB pricing are lifted later in 2010. At that stage both BGE and Airtricity will have a significant share of the domestic market and futher growth will be much harder to achieve once the price differential between themselves and ESB is significantly reduced (if not eliminated).

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭PANADOL

just wondering if airtricity do new connections as esb are charging 1700 for a reconnection ,if you have been disconnected over 2 yrs , what do airtricity charge if they are allowed to given esb own the grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michaeltkelly

I signed up to airtricity in august gave my bank account details to rep at the door, problem is I haven't been signed up at all and can get no answers from airtricity. As you can imagine I am a little concerned, my account details are out there and can't get answers, anyone else have this porblem or how was it sorted, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I signed up to airtricity in august gave my bank account details to rep at the door, problem is I haven't been signed up at all and can get no answers from airtricity. As you can imagine I am a little concerned, my account details are out there and can't get answers, anyone else have this porblem or how was it sorted, thanks.

Why would you give anyone on your doorstep your bank accont details????

Especially in this day and age of fraud,theft and connmen.

You should have said "give me an airtricity phone number and I will call you guys,when Im ready to do so".

Advertisement