Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godparent help!

Options
  • 23-08-2009 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Its my little niece`s first birthday quite soon.

I havent a clue what to buy for her, as her godparent I want to get her something decent. I usually just buy her clothes and got her a little silver claddagh bracelet for christmas.

I would love some advice from a parent as to what to get her?? Any toys which ye found really good or anything? ps I know the sister does not agree with baby walkers and I think shes ordered her a little rocking animal type thing.

Thanks a mil guys, all help really appreciated as I am a baby disaster zone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

my sister inlaw got my little lad a saveing,s account with the postoffice. he,s 12 now ,he has kept putting money in eg from birthday,s ,communion,. it,s different than getting her toy,s that she may not play with. so get yourself of to the postoffice tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

blond45 wrote: »
    my sister inlaw got my little lad a saveing,s account with the postoffice. he,s 12 now ,he has kept putting money in eg from birthday,s ,communion,. it,s different than getting her toy,s that she may not play with. so get yourself of to the postoffice tomorrow:)

I was thinking of this but Ive just been let go from my job so if I opened it, would I be expected to put money in it regularly? I think her mam set her up one at birth also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You could put together an indestructable, water proof, teething proof photo album of her family and or favourite people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

prize bonds and a small toy

I was thinking of this but Ive just been let go from my job so if I opened it, would I be expected to put money in it regularly? I think her mam set her up one at birth also.
    well it would be a gift from you to the little one so it would be up to mum to cary it on . if she has one already there,s not much point getting another one.cant think of hand what else you could get. mind me asking how much are you going to spend. how about gift voucher,s, or has a poster said that already.

• Advertisement

blond45 wrote: »
    well it would be a gift from you to the little one so it would be up to mum to cary it on . if she has one already there,s not much point getting another one.cant think of hand what else you could get. mind me asking how much are you going to spend. how about gift voucher,s, or has a poster said that already.

I want to spend anything up to 80e ish, I`ll go to 100e. I wanted to get one of those rocking horses but im nearly shure mammy got her something simliar:) I shall check.

cheers for the suggestions, I`ll consider anything. I really am a duh when it comes to babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

As a mother of a three year old I think that 80 - 100 euro is quite alot to be spending on her first birthday. Why dont you just lodge some money into her savings account and mabye a small colourful toy. If you just lost you job I'm sure her mumand dad will appreciate whatever you do and baby is only one so will be content with anything bright and colourful.
    You can get little books in penney's that are made of material and they tie on to the buggy. My small man used to love them and they cost next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you've just lost your job then no one expects you to be landing out money on lavish gifts and not as much as you suggested. I'm sure mum would appreciate you spending time with your niece, especially if you offer to babysit so she can go out and if you feel you must give a gift then give something small.

If the mum has already gotten a rocking horse then you could get either a ride on toy, I got 2 ride-on toys in Early Learning Centre recently and they were down from €18 to €8 each. The little ones I mind (nearly 18 months love them). Other suggestions include a kitchen and they vary from €18 up to €150 +. I got an electronic one for €50, dolls house, pram or buggy, doll.

Prize bonds are another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

A lovely neighbour with a little girl a little older that my little one gave her a VTech pink Peek a Boo Nursery Rhymes book only about €15 worth and she LOVES LOVES LOVES it. It goes everywhere with her. Like a fool I spent a fortune on toys and she hasn't half the mass in them that she has in that book. In just 4 months she has gone through two sets of batteries for it. It's lovely. VTech Peek a Boo Nursery Rhymes book. I'd say you could get it in Smyths or any of the bigger toy shops and I know you could certainly get one on Ebay. Don't be worried about being judged. They won't and it's really sweet that you are putting so much time and energy into getting this right. Like others said, spend time. Maybe get a giant cardboard box and make a playhouse with your god-child. My little one made one with her daddy and she loves it.Good luck.

Just bear in mind a one year old will not even know it's her birthday and will not know the cost of any present.

Also bear in mind that it's not the cost of the present/toy but the play value that's important. Most young children will not have a clue how much a toy costs. I've seen it so many times that it's often the cheaper more fun toy that's the big hit compared to the bigger more expensive present.

As it's a first birthday you can get keepsake birthday cards and maybe you could get a storybook with the child's name as the main character in it. They're not expensive but very personal to the child.

http://www.starstories.ie/

• Advertisement

Guys the advice has been absolutely brilliant thank you so much!!!

I think I will go with the peek a boo rhymes book and the personalised story book :) To be honest I was getting a bit bogged down in showing up with something big to go im the best godparent in the world:) Mainly becasue Im useless with babies and am waiting til shes a bit bigger til I can really help out. Im so new to this babies thing and afraid I`ll accidentally kill her or drop her so was trying to make up for being crap at helping out by buying a big gift :)

As a mother I wouldn't expect a godparent to be getting big gifts, that's Santa's job lol and that's not too far off so just post in a few months time if you want more ideas :rolleyes:

so now you know what to do, 80/100 is away to much to spend when you have being let go from a job. good shopping .

Advertisement