Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID 1 and One Other Hard Drive

Options
  • 23-08-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought two 750GB WD hard drives, planning on putting them into RAID 1 to backup all my data, and use my existing 250GB hard drive for games and Windows. However I can't seem to get this working.

To set up RAID using my mobo, you first go into the BIOS and set the storage configuration to RAID. Then, during POST you press "ctrl + i" to enter the Intel Matrix Storage configuration. Here you select the type of RAID and select the hard drives you want to use. You then restart the computer and everything should work.

Once I restarted my computer, I tried to enter Windows but it proclaimed that Windows wasn't installed. Thinking that the RAID may have taken priority during boot, I checked this but the 250GB hard drive still had boot priority.

I then went back into the storage configuration in the BIOS and tried changing this from RAID back to IDE. After I re-booted I managed to get into Windows but there is no sign of my RAID drive. If I go into disk management in Windows I can see both 750GB hard drives but they are not in RAID. Does anyone have any ideas how I can setup my system so that I can have my two 750 GB drives in RAID and still have my 250GB not in RAID? Is this a problem with Vista or is it a problem with the motherboard/BIOS?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need to set the bios storage configuration to RAID, set the boot order to have the raid volume second after the original windows volume. You will not see the volume in Windows untill You format it in Disk Management, right click My Computer-->Manage-->Disk Managment. Format to ntfs and it'll appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Hi PogMoThoin,

I have tried this but but if I set the storage configuration to RAID, Windows will not start up. Windows will only start if I set the storage configuration to IDE. I am starting to get the impression that I will have to re-install Windows, after first setting my 250Gb hard drive to RAID ( so it is RAID ready) to get my system working as I want it to.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to re-install Windows on my 250GB hard drive, once I have it setup as a RAID ready drive. Since I already have a sizeable amount of stuff installed on this drive, is there easy way to re-install Windows + drivers + apps? Would something like Acronis True Image be of any use? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and start from scratch?

Thanks.

Advertisement