Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethical question about a convicted paedophile.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

humanji wrote: »

But keep in mind that the next guy who comes along could always be a pedophile who never got caught.

True, but remember the OP is aware of his past, if he wasnt aware there wouldnt be a thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

snyper wrote: »
    True, but remember the OP is aware of his past, if he wasnt aware there wouldnt be a thread here.
    I know. It's AH, so I was just f*cking with his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

let him move in.

then burn the apartment to the ground while he's asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

"hi there, Im ringing about the ad for the 1bed apartment in Clontarf. Can I view it tomorrow evening? Oh and Im a kiddy fiddler.."
    Well thank you for your honesty young man, but only let it out an hour ago to a serial killer... Good luck with your search though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

joanofarc wrote: »
    no!
    why would he chose to live beside famalies with young children???

Do you know anywhere that there are no young children living? I don't, apart from the old folks home down the road.

OP, you have two issues... this man has served his time, for a crime he commited. It would be unfair to continuely (sp?) punish him.

The other issue, it is my understanding that this man is a reoffender? IF so I would not rent out the property to him. If it was a sole offence, I would consider it.

The easy thing to do is say no and get somebody else in, considering the market now, you might find it hard to get somebody in your house. So you know what this man has done, the next landlord may not, you will never be able to keep him living close to kids. Children are everywhere. Armed with this knowledge, is there anything that you could do with it? Tell the neighbours? Let the man know you know, and set out special terms and conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Rebelheart wrote: »

The choice is between forgiveness or becoming bitter and delusionally self-righteous. Most people are smart enough to opt for forgiveness. The law is shaped with this in mind.

Forgiveness for a paedophile? Are you fcukin nuts?
    Do you have any idea of the impact they have on kid's lives?
    Just take a look at the people living in Ireland that were abused as kids by priests etc and the goverment turned a blind eye to it.
    You can see/hear the horror they went through and how much it affected their lives even 40 years later on.
    Quite frankly if a paedo ever went near my nephews/nieces I'll shoot the fcuker in the spot. It's not like robbing a bank where you learn your lesson and not do it again. These people can't help themselves and will reoffend constantly over and over again.
    I'd dare you to even consider forgiveness if one of your kids was molested...I imagine it would be the last thing you could consider unless u were a cold bastard and didn't give a damn about your kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Take a years rent in advance from him, then put up a large sign saying Kiddie Fiddler lives here with the perverts picture attached. Win win.:D

Edit, important, make sure the house is well insured...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Berkut wrote: »

Forgiveness for a paedophile? Are you fcukin nuts?

I'll shoot the fcuker in the spot.

These people can't help themselves

It's like a smörgåsbord of irony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

dvpower wrote: »
    The options of the death penalty, or life in prison are currently not available. This guy is free and is going to live somewhere. This is'nt the OP's responsibility but that address is probably as home as any other

I appreciate that those options aren't available but I was asked where I prefer he lived, there wasn't any caveats given.

It isn't the OP's responsibility but he would responsible for allowing the man to settle in his house, knowing there are children in close proximity. I think that's the point of the thread. I know there are sex offenders and murderers all around us, but I wouldn't be complicit in their settling in an area where I know they would have access to children. They clearly do settle in areas with children, I just wouldn't want to be complicit in it.

I don't get the "they've got to live somewhere so they may as well pay my mortgage" mentality. That's about as self-serving as NIMBYism.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Have him castrated.... then say No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

if it was your family or close friends living beside him or near him would you it rent to him then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Derek.

there are enough sick minded and low intelligent people in this discussion to warrant being shot in the head.

Next you will all be after the hohmosexuals because they can't be cured.

GTFO

Derek.

Derek. wrote: »

Whats a hohmosexual?

there are enough sick minded and low intelligent people in this discussion to warrant being shot in the head.

GTFO

Derek.
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Most of the rest of us here have sufficient intelligence not to associate Gay people with Kiddie Fiddlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Derek. will no longer be with us. Try to get by as best you can without his inciteful input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I appreciate that those options aren't available but I was asked where I prefer he lived, there wasn't any caveats given.
    Pluto it is so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That would be on my list. :)

That's like cutting off a thief's arms. He'll still be a thief though
    Hmm not quite the same league! ;)

I'd much rather find out that my neighbour had their TV stolen, than find out their son / daughter had been fiddled with.
    Why the fcuk are these people released and expected to reintegrate with society when the chances of re-offending are so high?

Law = poxy

Abigayle wrote: »
    Hmm not quite the same league! ;)

I'd much rather find out that my neighbour had their TV stolen, than find out their son / daughter had been fiddled with.

Law = poxy

Of course =p , I didn't mean it was in the same league

It's kind of sweeping the problem under the rug though, there should be proper post-release counseling and monitoring for these guys, in a half-way center or something. That way when they're released they'll have proven that they can be trusted to some extent and there'll be no reason to cut the micky off them or put a bullet in their head.

At the end of the day it's an illness, and should be treated as such

Call me a bleeding heart lefty if you want but I'd sooner be one of those than a hot-headed eejit saying that they'd have no problem in killing the guy.

I voted no btw, and would never want a paedo living in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Abigayle wrote: »
    Whats a hohmosexual?

Gay Santa...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's kind of sweeping the problem under the rug though, there should be proper post-release counseling and monitoring for these guys, in a half-way center or something. That way when they're released they'll have proven that they can be trusted to some extent and there'll be no reason to cut the micky off them or put a bullet in their head.

Call me a bleeding heart lefty if you want but I'd sooner be one of those than a hot-headed eejit saying that they'd have no problem in killing the guy.

I'm somewhat hesitant in replying here, as I'm out of date with the treatment in Ireland. I agree with you around that, but as far as I remember the offender is not obliged to engage in treatment.

Engaging in treatment can help with early relase, and on those grounds may be required. However, if somebody has done the full sentense apart from the sex offender list, there is nothing else mandatory.

As I said I'm out of date on this stuff, but think I'm correct. The law deals with the offense not the illness behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 !___A___!

If it is not a man with a women. Then who cares?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

If you have more people interested in the place...pass on him.

Reformed or not as I said, if children are nearby, the temptation will be there!
    He maybe strong and if getting proper treatment may not be of harm to the children but if he's not....consequences are grave!
    Look at it from our perspective, can you treat homosexuality??
    No, it's accepted form to most members of society.
    Pedophilia is a form of sexuality, you can't make them change their sexuality towards children. That's like trying to make gay people straight. You can tell them its bad and amoral but at the end of the day, the feelings will be there!

You're doing the guy a favor by not letting him live there. Get someone else and don't think twice.

Negative OP.

While you're at it tell him to jump off the nearest tall building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No for all the reasons given , Jesus think of the kids.

Christ if thats not enough, There's a financial reason, if and when it gets out your property could be damaged by the outcry of public feelings and you will/could find it very hard to rent this property in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

These were my tempted replies:

"Ah sure just rent it to him, sure he'l probably spend all his time down the park anyway!!"

or,

"On one condition.....no sleepovers!"

or,

"Promise NO Barney suits at Halloween...or any other time of year!"

But seriously now, not a feckin chance would I rent a gaff to a kiddy fiddler, if you do, you have to tell the neighbours and then they will despise you for it...maybe they would even move...or even worse, your property will be vandalised by the Anti-Paedo Posse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

OP, you have an ethical question and you:

1 - post it in after hours
    2 - have 'spotted pedo chocolate sauce' as an option to your poll.

I think you need to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

Absolutely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

How did you find out about his background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The feedback from AH is that of a good cross section of the RL community. That is why the thread, with mod consent, was started here.

The "spotted pedo chocolate sauce" option was in my opinion nonsensical.
    As we all know it should have read "Atari Jaguar".
    Less of the telling people to "cop on" please. It's been a good thread up to this, it would be nice if it continued in that manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

To be fair, how can you expect someone to pick an area where there is no young kids? Kids are bloody everywhere. Maybe he chose the area because it was close to work. I believe that someone can change when they really want to.

But here's the thing. You don't know this man at all really. I'm not joining the witch hunt here but i would agree with those saying no. Its simply because you cant be sure if he will offend again and the victims will be innocent children if he does.

I feel bad for saying that you should assume he still wants to hurt kids but honestly mate, i wouldn't take the chance. It would kill you if he ever did reoffend and it's highly likely that he still has those urges.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

no way OP. Personally i wouldnt be able to live with myself if i let some one like him live near young kids and something happened to them after wards.

if you do let him stay (please don't) then tell the neighbours and the local guards (although they probably know if he is on the sex offenders register), its your moral obligation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Isn't pedophilia a form of sexuality? If it is, does that mean that no matter what is done to this man, or how guilty he might feel, the man will always be attracted to kids? It would be like you being locked up for fancying men or women, or for being gay. In a way, you could say that it is out of the mans hands, who he is attracted to.

However, he has proven himself unable to resist acting on those feelings and there is the problem. If you felt sufficiently guilty and still felt those horrible urges, would you want to live somewhere close to kids? I'd imagine wanting to get as far away from my "temptation" as possible.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm somewhat hesitant in replying here, as I'm out of date with the treatment in Ireland. I agree with you around that, but as far as I remember the offender is not obliged to engage in treatment.

Engaging in treatment can help with early relase, and on those grounds may be required. However, if somebody has done the full sentense apart from the sex offender list, there is nothing else mandatory.

As I said I'm out of date on this stuff, but think I'm correct. The law deals with the offense not the illness behind it.

Yeah that's the problem. Surely the legislation could be changed to incorporate a treatment plan in the sentence.

What's the point in locking someone up for a few years at cost to taxpayers and then releasing them, knowing full well that the levels of recidivism are very high?

The current law means that more kids will be abused, and that the offenders will never be considered rehabilitated. It's a vicious circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Isn't pedophilia a form of sexuality? If it is, does that mean that no matter what is done to this man, or how guilty he might feel, the man will always be attracted to kids? It would be like you being locked up for fancying men or women, or for being gay. In a way, you could say that it is out of the mans hands, who he is attracted to.

Well there's got to be chemical treatment...

but no matter how his being allowed to stay could be seen as the "right" thing to do, I believe the neighbours would easily forget to make a distinction between him and the landlord if/when they found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ridley wrote: »
    Well there's got to be chemical treatment....
    yep agreed, either that, or some sort of lifetime sentence like in a gated community. No matter how ethical you deem yourself to be, human rights, innocence, second chances, should all go out the window when someone poses a risk to a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

phasers wrote: »
    Children live nearby. No way in hell.

/thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

yep agreed, either that, or some sort of lifetime sentence like in a gated community. No matter how ethical you deem yourself to be, human rights, innocence, second chances, should all go out the window when someone poses a risk to a child.

+1 on that.

You cannot allow children to be endangered by this kinda person, no matter weather they say they are cured or not (not talking to the OP in particular, i meant in general)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yeah, go ahead and rent it. Everyone deserves a second chance and all that!

Yeah, go ahead and rent it. Everyone deserves a second chance and all that!

would you like that 'chance' to be taken on your kid?

• Advertisement

would you like that 'chance' to be taken on your kid?

I don't have any kids. :P

Besides, there are kids everywhere. So where should he live?

I don't have any kids. :P

Besides, there are kids everywhere. So where should he live?

arbor hill!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

GTFO

Derek.

I see your banned, anyhow.. what have homosexuals got to do with child molestors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

However, he has proven himself unable to resist acting on those feelings and there is the problem. If you felt sufficiently guilty and still felt those horrible urges, would you want to live somewhere close to kids? I'd imagine wanting to get as far away from my "temptation" as possible.

yes. it cant be cured. it can be controlled. there has been recent research into curing them. results came back: it does'nt work they cant be cured.

arbor hill!!!

Geez, some people certainly get their knickers in a twist when sex crimes are mentioned. What about murderers and armed robbers? Are they also not allowed to re-enter society when they leave prison?

The man seeking to rent the OP's property has served his time. Justice is about rehabilitation and reintegration into society. If justice is served in this case, the man will re-enter society and live a quiet life. Give him a second chance.

yes. it cant be cured. it can be controlled. there has been recent research into curing them. results came back: it does'nt work they cant be cured.

Not true. I saw a programme with Louis Theroux recently where he visited a centre for paedophiles. There were a number of men there who had reformed and would pose no risk to society.

Geez, some people certainly get their knickers in a twist when sex crimes are mentioned. What about murderers and armed robbers? Are they also not allowed to re-enter society when they leave prison?

The man seeking to rent the OP's property has served his time. Justice is about rehabilitation and reintegration into society. If justice is served in this case, the man will re-enter society and live a quiet life. Give him a second chance.

I was being facetious actually.

But no. I wouldn't give him a second chance. It's too big an IF.

And seeing as this is AH - I can't get my knickers in a twist if I'm not wearing any :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

How did you find out about his background?

My fiance knew of him, and after finding out this we asked her her mother, she grew up with him and knew his family and the details of what happened.

The deposit has being returned. Excuses were made. He was never getting the flat, i think its safe to say.

I didnt tell him however that his fate was decided by poll in AH!

Ive had a student and a lativan woman look at it today, both want it.. i will start a new poll and let you guys decide! :D

I was being facetious actually.

But no. I wouldn't give him a second chance. It's too big an IF.

And seeing as this is AH - I can't get my knickers in a twist if I'm not wearing any :p

You tease:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ridley wrote: »
    Well there's got to be chemical treatment...
    Totally failed in trials in the US. It ignores the whole psychological 'control' aspect of such sexual behaviour and only deals with testosterone production.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement