Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dean Ashton to retire from football?

• 23-08-2009 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Dean Ashton is reportedly set to announce his retirement from football.

The West Ham striker is suffering from a degenerative ankle problem and has been told - according to the Sunday Mirror - that he will end up in a wheelchair if he continues to play football.

A Hammers official did not deny the story when questioned by the newspaper, saying: "We can confirm Dean Ashton is unavailable for selection but we cannot comment any further."

Ashton suffered a fracture of his ankle three years ago while training with England but returned to play 35 games in 2007/08. But he broke down again in September of last year and has failed to play since.

The Sunday Mirror claims that the one-time England striker is suffering excruciating pain in his ankle and Dutch doctor Niek van Dijk has told him that surgery is possible but it will end his playing career.
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5508708,00.html

I really hope this isnt true.Ive always liked Ashton as a player and if circumstances had been different he could be wearing a Manchester United shirt.

Sad news indeed if it does prove to be fact.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its a shame but he'd be mad to risk his mobility for a bit more football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, play football? Walk? Play football? Walk?

It's a toughy alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

mike65 wrote: »
    Well its a shame but he'd be mad to risk his mobility for a bit more football.
    I agree with Mike here, why risk the ability to walk over Football, unfortunate as it is football is not that important after all is said and done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

poor lad, hope its not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Sad news for the guy indeed . Wish him the best !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's very bad news for him if it's true. Maybe he can stay on at West Ham in a coaching capacity if he does have to stop playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats bad luck ,awful to see any players career curtailed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Very unfortunate.Would be mad to play with such a risk.Did he ever play for England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

He did, he got a cap against Trinidad & Tobago a few years ago at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Too big a risk to take to continue to play IMO.
    So much talent not being fulfilled however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Sad news, he had the potential to be a top top player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Bad few days for West Ham. Ashton was a great player when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Its a shame as Ashton is a striker i rate very highly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

West Ham United boss Gianfranco Zola has played down reports suggesting Dean Ashton could be set to announce his retirement from football.
    A report on Sunday claimed the striker was ready to call an end to his career after severely struggling for fitness in recent years.
    Ashton, who was linked with a move to Stoke earlier this summer, has not played for the Hammers since September 2008.
    Speaking after his side's 2-1 loss to Tottenham, Zola said: "As far as I know, he's still doing his rehabilitation and I'm hoping to have him in my team. He's a player who can make a big difference.
    "Until they tell me something different, I'm hoping he'll come back."
    Ashton signed for the Hammers from Norwich in 2006 for £7.25million and has made 46 league appearances since the move, scoring 15 goals

SSNews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

paddy978 wrote: »
    Very unfortunate.Would be mad to play with such a risk.Did he ever play for England?

I think half the problem was down to playing an International for England. I think he somehow clashed with another English player for the ball and that has either accelerated the problem or opened it up. Think it might have been Shaun Wright Phillips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really hope he can make it back - I'm a big fan of his and was hoping he'd sign for United a few seasons back.

Was a player that could have had a very good career if he had been able to stay injury free. Remember that FA Cup final against Liverpool, he was great that day - a real threat to Liveprool all afternoon. And his lovely bicycle kick against United on the last day of the season two seasons back.

However, obvioulsy his long term health is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He was very good that day v Livepool. I also remember the opening day of last season when I had him as captain in my fantasy team and he scored twice! :pac: Everyone thought I was some sort of fantasy genius.

Always been a fan. Strong player with a great shot, Carlton Cole is actually quite similar. I hope he gets his strength back and who knows, in a year or 2 maybe he'd be strong enough to drop down the leagues and still play some ball.

Advertisement