Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In the well: Twee.

• 23-08-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, it is time for our second brave volunteer to face the questions. She buys shoes that I like, it's Twee.

*applause*

For those of you who are unsure of how this works, please read the thread I linked to above.

A few rules:

1. Keep questions limited to fashion/appearance issues
    2. No personal questions
    3. No discussion of the answers. Questions only and only Twee. answers them.

If you want to add your name to the list you can do so in the thread linked to above.

I will leave this thread open for a week or so.

My first question for Twee. Do you think that you have a 'style' or do you like to take bits from different 'styles'? (Or is this, in fact, a style in itself?)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hi!

If you saw me on the street you'd probably think ah, another indie/Topshop! And sure, a lot of it is (work in TS!), but I like to think I have a personal flair. I love to wear vintage and have some really nice pieces. My day-to-day wear isn't too much out of the ordinary (usually jeans and a band t-shirt, have millions), but at night I like to play dress up and try to stay classy! Not much into jewellery but love hair accessories to make an outfit stand out - hats, hair bands, fascinators etc.
    I have a decent capsule wardrobe, stuff than I can wear over and over again, and then I like to supplement this with "on-trend" items each season. Like for Winter, will be keeping the staple black skinnies and tank tops, but adding a vintage sparkley shrug and lace up shoe boots.
    I think an important part of personal style is knowing your body and not buying unflattering clothes for the sake of a trend. Fashion and style are two very different things imo. I have friends who are very fashionable, but not stylish, and vice versa, if that makes any sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Is there one style you would love to be able to pull off but can't? (or do you feel everyone can pull off all styles if it's done right?)

What was your biggest fashion mistake?

Favourite item of clothing you have right now?

What do you see yourself wearing in thirty years time?

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Your best vintage find?

Which city (that you've been to) in the world is best for shopping in your opinion?

Most expensive item you've bought?

Favourite on-line shop?

Wish list item?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Do you have any specific item of clothing that you couldn't live without?

Fake tan - yea or nay? Do you wear it yourself?

And as you asked Old Goat, if you had to leave in the morning FOREVER, what 5 items would you bring with you?

Favourite real life shop?

Do you have a grá for designer brands or do you wear what you love regardless of where it comes from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I was only going to ask one question but after your first post I find I have a dozen at least, but I'll chop thoses down to my original and two others. :)

Millinary first, where do you find your hats & facinators?

Vintage, what is your favourite era to wear?

Do you always dress for occasions or, more importantly, do you ever glamourise up for no occasion or reason?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Is there one style you would love to be able to pull off but can't? (or do you feel everyone can pull off all styles if it's done right?)

I would love to walk around looking like Dita von Teese or Gretta Garbo all day long, but in that era. Tidy and lady like :) I like the style but would feel a bit silly today. I'm not a fan of being dedicated to an era, like pin-ups or an 80s pop star. But if that's what you're into go right ahead, if you can do it, do it!
    What was your biggest fashion mistake?

Oh dear! When I was 13-15 I lived in boys skate shorts, Vans and Emily Strange stuff. Just awful! Thought I was really rawkin'.
    Favourite item of clothing you have right now?

I'd go for my linen peg leg trousers. They not quite harem, but similar. Looks sexy with heals and a baggy tank.
    What do you see yourself wearing in thirty years time?

Well, by then I'll have made my millions (;)) and will be swanning like Daphne Guinness. Beautiful couture, loads of diamonds and peals and black. A lot of black. Or if I'm not a millionaire I'll try and recreate something similar. I love her!

Brilliant! Thanks Twee:)

Larianne wrote: »
    Your best vintage find?

Not bought, but it was my mothers. It's a beautiful red silk dress with a dark blue pattern. It's got balloon sleeves and is past knee length, but I stuck a belt on it to make it shorter. I used to play in it when I was wee, dress up as a geisha!
    Which city (that you've been to) in the world is best for shopping in your opinion?

I've only been shopping to London, but I find it amazing! Reasonably priced vintage and cool boutiques. And now with the exchange rate...Still paying off the overdraft from July's trip!
    Most expensive item you've bought?

Probably 140 euro on boots in Buffalo, have had them rehealed three times over 4 years, so they're a bargain really! Most money on a small item would be 75 on a Luella cardigan. Plain black with Love Love Love stitched on :o And that was half price!
    Favourite on-line shop?

Would you believe I never buy online! If I ever get a credit card though, keep me away from www.asos.com and www.modcloth.com !
    Wish list item?

This plz! Donna Karan A/W 20909
    http://www.gabrielleteare.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dkny_AW0910_24.jpg

fonpokno wrote: »
    Do you have any specific item of clothing that you couldn't live without?

A good coat! I love coats and have loads of them. Winter is my favourite season.
    Fake tan - yea or nay? Do you wear it yourself?
    Yea for others, big nay for me. I like being pale! VERY rarely go bare legged so it's not really an issue for me. For a bit of colour I sometimes put on some Mac Face and Body foundation on my back/chest.
    And as you asked Old Goat, if you had to leave in the morning FOREVER, what 5 items would you bring with you?
    I knew that question would come back to haunt me!!
    1. Faux fur coat. Got off my aunty, who got it off her aunty. Instant glamour!
    2. Viv Westwood shoes. Bright blue and red, comfortable and just damn cool!
    3. Bowler hat!
    4. Tweed blazer. Vintage gift from San Francisco, found a a dime in the pocket :)
    5. Black button up skirt. The buttons look like old coins or something and my aunty bought it in Monaco about 15 years ago.
    Favourite real life shop?
    Probably Urban Outfitters. Especially during their sales :D
    Do you have a grá for designer brands or do you wear what you love regardless of where it comes from?

I do love designer, and if I could afford to buy I would! I don't see a problem on spending hard earned cash on good clothes. And when I have that cash, I will spend it! I am a high street girl though too. Who cares how much it cost as long as it looks good!

OldGoat wrote: »
    I was only going to ask one question but after your first post I find I have a dozen at least, but I'll chop thoses down to my original and two others. :)

Haha cool :)
    Millinary first, where do you find your hats & facinators?

Mostly high street because of budget restrictions! Accessorize is SO expensive for such ubiquitous creations, but they have good value in their sale. Also, a bit of tulle will go a long way! I just tie it in a big bow around my head and boom a pretty hair band.
    Vintage, what is your favourite era to wear?

Hmm, I'd go for and 1970s for great prints and cool shapes. I really like mens fashion from this era too.
    Do you always dress for occasions or, more importantly, do you ever glamourise up for no occasion or reason?

ANY excuse! Seriously! You should have seen the excitement when I saw the poster for our college formal ball!
    I usually wear my hair in a bun, off my face, so combined with gentle make up and a good lippie, one can be glamorous in jeans and heals! I like to wear my pearls a lot as well, just cos ;)

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    I usually wear my hair in a bun, off my face, so combined with gentle make up and a good lippie, one can be glamorous in jeans and heals! I like to wear my pearls a lot as well, just cos ;)
    I'm having visions of hair in a bun, twin set and pearls. Sounds delicious to me. :)
    Thanks Twee. Very enlightening answers.

Have you ever made/do you ever make your own clothes/accessories?

fonpokno wrote: »
    Have you ever made/do you ever make your own clothes/accessories?

Nope, I'm not very able like that :o I can sew enough to fix a button or a stitch to make something tighter. I really want to start making my own hair accessories so hopefully that'll work out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

You're like my girl crush right now! LOVING your answers! I need to think of a few questions now!

Bit OT: You say you work in Topshop? I'm going for a job there soon, think I could pm you for a few questions?

Vinta81 wrote: »
    You're like my girl crush right now! LOVING your answers! I need to think of a few questions now!

Bit OT: You say you work in Topshop? I'm going for a job there soon, think I could pm you for a few questions?

Ooh thank you ;)

Yep, PM away!

A few years ago I did a clear out and gave away stuff I regret immensely in a moment of madness. Has this ever happened to you and what do you wish you kept and why?

What shoe brands are your fave?

A few years ago I did a clear out and gave away stuff I regret immensely in a moment of madness. Has this ever happened to you and what do you wish you kept and why?

I'm a hoarder :o If there's a chance I'll wear something again, even in a few years, I'll keep it. So bad like that! I have a 4-door wardrobe stuffed to the brim!

What shoe brands are your fave?

If money was no object, I'd say YSL. Apart from that, I like Office for heals and flats, and Converse for runners, not that I'd be running anywhere! Always have a spot for Doc Martens too. Bottle green for winter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi Twee,

Firstly let me just say
    If money was no object, I'd say YSL. Apart from that, I like Office for heals and flats, and Converse for runners, not that I'd be running anywhere! Always have a spot for Doc Martens too. Bottle green for winter :)
    Totally agree with that!!

So a few Q's (some very similar to those I asked Old Goat):

1. Where/who did you learn about style from?

2. What style do you appreciate on men?

3. Best piece of fashion advice you ever recieved or gave?

4. Do you wish to continue working in the fashion world? If yes, what is your ideal 'fashion' job?

5. What extreme (ie punk, goth, gangsta' rap, drag) look would you secretly love to try for a day/night if you could go back to looking like yourself again the next morning with no hassle?

6. How long do you take getting ready for a) work and b) a night out on average?

Cheers :D

giddybootz wrote: »
    Hi Twee,

Firstly let me just say

Totally agree with that!!

They're just so pretty!

1. Where/who did you learn about style from?

Mostly my mam and my aunties(two in particular), they've always had great wardrobes. Also from reading the Sunday Times Style supplement, it is excellent.
    2. What style do you appreciate on men?

I love men to be dressed neatly, like the mod style - drainpipe jeans good shirt and a nice hair cut! Looks classy and cool. Beards are nice too :pac:
    3. Best piece of fashion advice you ever recieved or gave?

When I was 14 I went to a style workshop thing for teens (sounds awfully cheesey!), and the lady running it gave me great advice on what colours to wear to flatter my skin tone and taught me loads on how to build a capsule wardrobe. Has stuck with me since!
    4. Do you wish to continue working in the fashion world? If yes, what is your ideal 'fashion' job?

Hmm, maybe. If I was to work in that world I'd like to be a PA or something.
    5. What extreme (ie punk, goth, gangsta' rap, drag) look would you secretly love to try for a day/night if you could go back to looking like yourself again the next morning with no hassle?

Oooh! I would like to be a proper goth, that would be fun. See what I'd look like with black hair would be coooool!
    6. How long do you take getting ready for a) work and b) a night out on average?

Including a shower, about 40 mins. I wear very little make up to work and try and plan my outfit before I get ready. Hair takes no time at all.
    On a night out it's about an hour and a half for shower, make up, hair, getting dressed and getting my bag and coat together. I never leave enough time so I'm always rushing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Are there any fashion trends you just DONT like?

• Advertisement

Orlee wrote: »
    Are there any fashion trends you just DONT like?

Jersey leggings. I abhor them! They look good on some people, and generally only the ankle length ones at that. Just major dislike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you could only have 5 make up items, what would you have?

If you were given a thousand euro, what would you buy?

:)

Novella wrote: »
    If you could only have 5 make up items, what would you have?

Hmm, let me think!
    1. MAC Concealer, NW15
    2. Rimmel Translucent Powder
    3.Dior Show Black Out Mascara
    4. Dior Eyebrow pencil in Blonde
    5. MAC Lipstick in Plink!
    ]If you were given a thousand euro, what would you buy?

:)

Luella is one of my favourites, so if I had 1000 I'd get this bag for 495
    http://www.luella.com/store/Plaque+Messenger/Nubuck/Navy/
    Can I go a bit over budget and have this too please?!
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/Luella-Harold-Crombie-Coat/invt/5133428568889&bklist=icat,5,shop,christmas,christmasbrands,luella

Heaven!

Hmm, let me think!
    1. MAC Concealer, NW15
    2. Rimmel Translucent Powder
    3.Dior Show Black Out Mascara
    4. Dior Eyebrow pencil in Blonde
    5. MAC Lipstick in Plink!

Luella is one of my favourites, so if I had 1000 I'd get this bag for 495
    http://www.luella.com/store/Plaque+Messenger/Nubuck/Navy/
    Can I go a bit over budget and have this too please?!
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/Luella-Harold-Crombie-Coat/invt/5133428568889&bklist=icat,5,shop,christmas,christmasbrands,luella

Heaven!

That bag is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! So I'll let you away with going over budget! :)

Yay! I really want that bag haha :( !!

Agree with you there Novella, it's a beautiful bag. *want*

Yay! I really want that bag haha :( !!

If I ever win the lotto, I'll buy it for you!! :) (And one for myself!)

Would you ever go to the shop in your pj's or do you like to be nice and groomed in public?! (I was in work today and in wander two girls, kitted out in fluffy dressing gowns and Crocs! Now I don't work in a newsagents where they were just popping in for milk, I work in the middle of town, in River Island! They have inspired my question! :))

Novella wrote: »
    If I ever win the lotto, I'll buy it for you!! :) (And one for myself!)

Would you ever go to the shop in your pj's or do you like to be nice and groomed in public?! (I was in work today and in wander two girls, kitted out in fluffy dressing gowns and Crocs! Now I don't work in a newsagents where they were just popping in for milk, I work in the middle of town, in River Island! They have inspired my question! :))

Absolutley, 100% NEVER! I very rarely even wear my trackies outside of the house. (I am, however, wearing cupcake print pjs right now... but no one can see me!)

Crocs... don't get me started on Crocs. Do you work in a hospital? No. Are you near a pool? No. Then why the hell are you wearing them!?

If I could thank your post more than once, I would :)

• Advertisement

What fashion mags/website do you constantly refer to? (Sunday Times Style mag is one of THEE best fashion mags around methinks.)

Are there any films you have thought were super stylish?

What do you think of Irish people's style in general?

Are there any international brands you'd like to see here?

Following on from that - American Apparel Yay or Nay?

What is your favourite colour?

Would you consider plastic surgery when you're WAAAAY older?

Tattoos Yay or NAY?

Larianne wrote: »
    What fashion mags/website do you constantly refer to? (Sunday Times Style mag is one of THEE best fashion mags around methinks.)

I love Vogue, even though I can't afford to be buying it every month now! Thankfully the college library gets it in ;) Their season issue is always amazing. Basically everything you need to know for the coming months.
    I like to look at street fashion blogs too, like http://hel-looks.com/ in Helsinki.
    (I'm gonna move a question around...!)
    What do you think of Irish people's style in general?
    I think the younger folk have great fashion sense, but sure it's all handed to you on a plate. Shops are organised so that stuff that goes together is displayed together. There isn't a whole lot of individuality.
    Compare hel-looks to http://www.dublinstreets.blogspot.com/ and the difference is huge, people are more expressive with their outfits.
    Mens fashion in general can be quote boring and it's harder to stand out, and Irish men just go for the easy option. No one wants to look "gay" beacuse they're dressing well :rolleyes:

Are there any films you have thought were super stylish?

Kind of a typical answer, but Breakfast at Tiffany's. It has all the goodies! Little black dress, statement accessories, cream mac, trousers made sexy. Perfect!

Are there any international brands you'd like to see here?

Uniqlo would be great, especially for the boys. A nice change from Topman! Their girls' stuff is good too. Bright basics and nice jeans. There's actually loads from their mens' that I'd wear! http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.html
    I think Cos would do well here too, H&M's upmarket label. Their stuff is minimal but looks really well and designer-ish. http://www.cosstores.com/
    Following on from that - American Apparel Yay or Nay?
    YAY YAY YAY! Love it! Expensive, yes, but everything I have from there has been worn to death! Their bodycon dresses are lovely. People complain about it too much saying that it's overpriced, but that's because it's not made by a child in India!
    What is your favourite colour?

Green :)
    Would you consider plastic surgery when you're WAAAAY older?

Never say never! :P
    Tattoos Yay or NAY?

Yay, I like them. Don't have any myself, but wouldn't rule them out.

Green :)

For some strange reason I knew would say that!

Thanks for your answers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I like to look at street fashion blogs too, like http://hel-looks.com/ in Helsinki.

Eeek love the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mens fashion in general can be quote boring and it's harder to stand out, and Irish men just go for the easy option. No one wants to look "gay" beacuse they're dressing well :rolleyes:

I agree with you here since there is a lot less options for guys anywhere in Ireland, it's very annoying. I personally try do the best I can with what options are around and what I like/think works well together.

Do you think the 'scenester' guys of Dublin are trying too hard to stand out and look cool (IMO most end up looking the same) or do you like that?

I agree with you here since there is a lot less options for guys anywhere in Ireland, it's very annoying.
    Do you think the 'scenester' guys of Dublin are trying too hard to stand out and look cool (IMO most end up looking the same) or do you like that?

Yes trying hard to stand out and sometimes ending up looking like their pals, but I'd much prefer that than everyone in faux worn in bootcut jeans and polo shirts (not that this is a bad look, but it just doesn't do it for me :)) I like the sorta indie skinny jeans band shirt look, I suppose it comes down to the kind of people one wants to meet. This is awfully stereotypical and close minded of me, but I'll assume lads with that kinda look have an interest in a certain type of music or lifestyle that I like too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Love reading your answers! And that Hel Looks site is brilliant!

http://hel-looks.com/?p=image/archives/14/20090228_02/ AWW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

You've got a really definitive style; where do you think it comes from??

You've got a really definitive style; where do you think it comes from??

Everywhere! Family, friends, people on the street, magazines, films, blogs.
    My mam dressed me well as a kid and my aunts were always buying me clothes, so I guess I've always had an interest in what I wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Right, I have been having this argument with my mates for days, and we've yet to come up with an answer so I thought I'd ask here given you seem to be a clued in and stylish lady.

Who do you think is the slickest man alive?

We take slickest as most stylish and best dressed. I have a few candidates and want to see if any of them cross over.

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Right, I have been having this argument with my mates for days, and we've yet to come up with an answer so I thought I'd ask here given you seem to be a clued in and stylish lady.

Who do you think is the slickest man alive?

We take slickest as most stylish and best dressed. I have a few candidates and want to see if any of them cross over.

Such a hard question! Ok, I'm not saying these are the slickest ever, but I'll just throw in a few names!

George Lamb
    George+Lamb+Leaving+BBC+Studios+Ot5lf8dkxgul.jpg

Johnny Depp
    johnny_depp6.jpg

Jude Law
    jude_law+2.jpg

This question has been bothering me now! I feel like I'm missing out on some obvious answers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Ok one crossover so far. I agreed with Johnny Depp.

There are some "stereotypical" ones Id say your missing.

tbh, I generally find musician have a better sense of style than most other professions. Saying that, two of my other eh...nominations arent musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Great thread, and the answers are as good as I expected. Five minutes in the door from 'PrivateEyes Summer Holiday 2.0' so I'm behind on my interwebs, but this beats biting my nails off and hitting f5 following 'the football'
    Crocs... don't get me started on Crocs. Do you work in a hospital? No. Are you near a pool? No. Then why the hell are you wearing them!?

Amen.

Reader glasses.Yay or Nay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

What make up look to you like to wear...'the natural look', 'smokey eyes', 'nutral eyes coz it's all about the lips' etc???

Reader glasses.Yay or Nay?

Do you mean those ones with fake lenses? If so, I wanna smash them all! It's not that I dislike them, they can look really cute on some people, my problem is when like three or four friends are all wearing them at the same time. REAL individual! You all go Urban Outfitters together today?! But having said that, I've seen them look nice on some folk.

giddybootz wrote: »
    What make up look to you like to wear...'the natural look', 'smokey eyes', 'nutral eyes coz it's all about the lips' etc???

Day to day, just light foundation/tinted mousturiser, powder, brown mascara and lip gloss.
    Night time, on top of foundation/blush, I like to focus on the eyes, black/grey or browns, liquid eye liner and loads of mascara. I wear a pretty neutral lipstick. I spend a bit of time on my eyebrows too, they have minds of their own so basically need to be filled and shaded to look in any way normal :pac:

Aha, just when you thought all the questions had dried up...
    What look do you favour when there is no reason for stlyeing? I mean, what if you are just going out to wander the streets window shopping, or heading for a coffee.
    How do you do Casual?

OldGoat wrote: »
    Aha, just when you thought all the questions had dried up...
    What look do you favour when there is no reason for stlyeing? I mean, what if you are just going out to wander the streets window shopping, or heading for a coffee.
    How do you do Casual?

I keep it simple enough. Like today I had to run up to Liffey Valley so I put on a long sleeved jersey top with Marc Bolan on it, blue denim skinnies with tan cowboy boots (keep out the rain!) and a blazer. Easy to move around in and comfortable. If I was going to town I'd have my Rayban wayfarers too, I'd be lost without them! My mam bought them about 15 years ago and then gave them to my gran, but I (nicely!) asked could I have them back 3 years ago ;)
    It saves a lot of time in changing rooms if you're dressed right! No buttons, no laces, in and out in a flash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The time has come for this thread to be locked. Thanks to Twee. for her great answers. :) Another hard act to follow.

The next thread will be started soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement