Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just a fear or not?

• 23-08-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Ok I HATE flying but if it was just the fear I could maybe deal with it. But I feel like s**t when I'm in an aeroplane- dizzy, can't lift my head from head-rest, headache, sore ears. I don't feel nauseous though. Is it just the fear that does this? Or is there something more medical to it. I'd like to be able to enjoy flying, but between panicking and feeling crap I can't wait till my feet get back on ground. I also hate the lack of control over your own safety, while on an aeroplane, i.e. if an aeroplane DOES go down, then there is nothing you can do, you die. So all the statistics in the world about donkeys don't make any difference to me because I focus on what actually happens in a plane crash. At least you can crawl out of a car, jump off a boat etc. etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I also hate the lack of control over your own safety

That's were the fear stems from , lack of control over anything that might happen .There is not a lot you can do except put your faith in the pilots ability to fly the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 karenk83

Latchy wrote: »
    That's were the fear stems from , lack of control over anything that might happen .There is not a lot you can do except put your faith in the pilots ability to fly the plane.

Can only afford to fly Ryanair so not sure thats gonna work.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

amoro85 wrote: »
    Can only afford to fly Ryanair so not sure thats gonna work.:D:D

Only problem I ever had with Ryanir was with the odd ignoramus passenger .The actual flying was and is usually quite pleasent

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

i just feel like im on a bus when on ryanair ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 oMega_2093

Hi, I have to admit I really like flying. And I somewhat trust pilots and planes. Planes are such complex and redundant machines that they are not likely to fail. Pilots also have to succeed in a lot of different tests, and they have training on emergency situations quite often (according to a pilot in a spanish flying company who says all this).

Anyway, car is still much mor dangerous than plane. If you are taking a bath you have a small chance of making a wrong move and break your head. If you walk on the street you have a chance of get a piano on your head, or being hitted by a car on the road... Everything has valuable risk, but do you avoid daily stuff just because of the risk? Nope, and risk in planes is much lower than in cars, for example.

Just try to relax :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

amoro85 wrote: »
    Ok I HATE flying but if it was just the fear I could maybe deal with it. But I feel like s**t when I'm in an aeroplane- dizzy, can't lift my head from head-rest, headache, sore ears. I don't feel nauseous though. Is it just the fear that does this? Or is there something more medical to it. I'd like to be able to enjoy flying, but between panicking and feeling crap I can't wait till my feet get back on ground. I also hate the lack of control over your own safety, while on an aeroplane, i.e. if an aeroplane DOES go down, then there is nothing you can do, you die. So all the statistics in the world about donkeys don't make any difference to me because I focus on what actually happens in a plane crash. At least you can crawl out of a car, jump off a boat etc. etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I feel exactly the same way about flying as you do. The physical symptoms that you are suffering from may be due to panic, however, it sounds to me like you could just handle the changes in altitude really badly.

It is possible this could be down to sinus problems because the only time I've felt really sick/dizzy and in pain on a flight was when I had sinusitis. Just get it checked out and see if you might have an underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 karenk83

LadyJ wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way about flying as you do. The physical symptoms that you are suffering from may be due to panic, however, it sounds to me like you could just handle the changes in altitude really badly.

It is possible this could be down to sinus problems because the only time I've felt really sick/dizzy and in pain on a flight was when I had sinusitis. Just get it checked out and see if you might have an underlying problem.

Thanks for that. Actually i think that might have something to do with it cause doctor just recently told me i have slight problem with my sinuses.
    Guess I'll sort that out and hopefuly next time i fly it wont be too bad.
    Thanks for posts everyone:D:D

Advertisement