Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC

Options
  • 23-08-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi

I'm just woundering how difficult is it to have distinctions in subjects ?? and how many hours are students required to study for the course ?? Is the course interesting or boring ?.

edit: any FETAC course (1 year course) it doesn't really matter. But i'm intreasted mostly in Culture and Heritage Studies fetac courses

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

what course???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Its relatively easy if you put the time patience and work in!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Just to echo what has been said it's not the most difficult thing in the world to get as long as you put the time, effort and work in. Make sure you follow the deadlines set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doodlebop

thanks everyone for the advice, yet how difficult is it to have distinctions in subjects :) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

How difficult is it to get an A or B+ in exams???Same thing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Your question is kinda like "how long is a piece of string?". Cos the answer will be different for each individual. The likelihood of getting a Distinction has many variables, such as your ability for the subject, standard of work, level of interest, commitment, attendance etc.
    Personally, I think there can be a good bit of work involved and you do need to dedicate time and effort.
    The good thing is, that most modules are made up of assignments and exams, meaning your overall result is not solely based on a final exam. There are Module Descriptors for each module available on fetac.ie and they give you a good idea of what's expected of you. As well as that you get a brief for each assignment and usually if you follow these you should do pretty good.
    Usually the tutors are very fair too and should guide you if you are having difficulties. The marking system seems to be pretty fair overall too. You can also appeal your results if you're not satisfied - but think there's a charge for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

I did Arts, Culture and History in DCFE last year which was quite enjoyable, I got 7 distinctions and a merit, only had three exams as well which saved on a lot of stress.

I'd really recommend it, If you're ready to do the work the rewards are there for you, it got me the first choice on my CAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doodlebop

I did Arts, Culture and History in DCFE last year which was quite enjoyable, I got 7 distinctions and a merit, only had three exams as well which saved on a lot of stress.

I'd really recommend it, If you're ready to do the work the rewards are there for you, it got me the first choice on my CAO :D
    Thanks for you're help. I’m just wondering do they give you a guide on what to expect/on what may be coming up on the exams for that course. And how many hours are students required to spend studying each day for the course?. (I have done history to LC)

congratulations on your college course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Crunkussion

Well it was easy enough to figure out the kind of questions that would be coming up in the exams from what we learned during the year and from what was on previous papers, but it wasn't the exams that were my focus for most of the year since the majority of the course's modules are based around doing projects and assignments.

Some of the modules are easier than others but the harder ones will require you to spend a few hours each week in the library researching for your different assignments. My course and I believe most of the college's courses had a day off for doing this kind of research which was handy.

Hope this helps, any other questions just ask :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

If I was to get a FETAC advanced certificate in Tourism and business What can I do with it? Can you get a good job with a FETAC cert or would it be better to carrying on studying for a degree?
    Basically are FETAC certs worth anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

FETAC is recognised at Level 5 and 6 on the National Framework of Quals and as a result is recognised throughout the EU.

FETAc cert results can be used in two ways to progress to IOts or Universities. In the pilot scheme FETAC certs are acceptable instead of the Leaving Cert for points calculation for entry to the majority of courses in the Institutes of Technology. In the higher Education scheme only linked FETAC courses can be used for the Universities ie Cultural and Heritage Studies to Arts degree, Nursing to Nursing degrees etc. Best thing to do is establish where you want to end up ie what degree and work backwards to establish what FETAC award and modules you need to do to be eligible for entry onto the course. be very careful and insist on getting the codes for the FETAC Award and the module codes from the FE centre you enrol at - as alot of colleges may use a different name for the course than the name of the FETAC award.

Re the assessment - alot of it is continuous with no one large exam, thus an advantage and a disadvantage depending on your attitude to study and work. You need to hit the ground running from the minute the course starts as competition for the Arts places in NUI Maynooth, UCD and NUI Galway will be very intense next year for the FETAC places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

FETAC is recognised at Level 5 and 6 on the National Framework of Quals and as a result is recognised throughout the EU.

FETAc cert results can be used in two ways to progress to IOts or Universities. In the pilot scheme FETAC certs are acceptable instead of the Leaving Cert for points calculation for entry to the majority of courses in the Institutes of Technology. In the higher Education scheme only linked FETAC courses can be used for the Universities ie Cultural and Heritage Studies to Arts degree, Nursing to Nursing degrees etc. Best thing to do is establish where you want to end up ie what degree and work backwards to establish what FETAC award and modules you need to do to be eligible for entry onto the course. be very careful and insist on getting the codes for the FETAC Award and the module codes from the FE centre you enrol at - as alot of colleges may use a different name for the course than the name of the FETAC award.

Re the assessment - alot of it is continuous with no one large exam, thus an advantage and a disadvantage depending on your attitude to study and work. You need to hit the ground running from the minute the course starts as competition for the Arts places in NUI Maynooth, UCD and NUI Galway will be very intense next year for the FETAC places.

thanks! lot of help. Going to work very hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Go to FETAC website www.fetac.ie and by following the links for awards you will be able to find the syallbus for all the modules associated with the award you wish to do and within the syallbus details of ther assessment and the marks assigned to each assessment.

It is very difficult to find the awards section with the above details so here it is
    http://www.fetac.ie/guide/level5_access.htm

You must complete 8 modules to get a full award of which there are mandatories that you must have in order to get the full award. The universities state which modules that you must present with distinctions in order to get an offer. Do remember that they state the min. entry requirements but that in reality it is a full award with 8 modules at distinction level - it doesnt matter how many extra distinctions you present.

Advertisement