Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'De Town' thread locked

Options
  • 23-08-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

In Louth forum. The Moderator cited two reasons;

1. Question was answered.

It wasn't. I wanted to know how/when Dundalk and Dundalk FC in particular began reffering to themselves as 'de town'. (as I had only started to hear this a few years ago)

2. Trolls

Surely Trolls should either be banned or have their posts removed. Its not a valid reason for closing active threads.

I have sent pm to moderator twice with no reply. Your bound to get a few harmless dundalk-drogheda 'clashes' (i supppose) from time to time, but other threads are very rarely closed because of this (even in the past when i have reported such posts, the threads haven't been locked).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Question seemed answered enough, and certainly as well as it was going to be without the thread descending into a black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

There is no ambiguity here. Its either answered or its not. I still don't know when this reference came into common use in football, or indeed how/why. Its up to the mods to ensure trolls don't get their way. Closing the entire thread is unfair to those who wish to discuss these things.

To use a business term - cost/benefit analysis.

The "cost" of leaving it open > benefit.

I've reported much more blatant insulting posts in the same forum before, and nothing has been done. Most recently in the 'growing up in Drogheda thread'. There were several trolls there trying to provoke a reaction with extremely derogatory posts. These people should be banned. Simple as. You're telling me that discussions will be ended because its easier for mods than actually weeding out the trolls so that this site can serve its purpose, and host a discussion?

I appreciate that mods are busy people but this is just a cop out.

If you care to provide examples of posts that you have reported, we'll look at them.

However there isn't any hard/fast rules to say "this is ok", "this isn't" - everything has to be taken in context.

• Advertisement

and riding your cousin as well .... Post #9

This is the funniest comment I have read in weeks! It reminds me about couples in Drogheda breaking-up and instead of staying friends, they stay cousins! ... Post #19

And the memorys of winning everything around us in soccer, oh no wait sorry that was us..... Post #92

I reported the first two and nothing was done. In the thread we're talking about, nothing of this nature surfaced at all, and it still was locked.

Post #9 where.. etc. (Links help)

Did you miss my comment about context? Any phrase can look bad when it's not in it's original context.

To be honest, even out of context the first two hardly look like they would have the average punter covering their eyes. The second one seems nothing but tongue in cheek..

There in the thread 'growing up in Drogheda' in the Louth forum. I'm not getting the links, i've already reported these posts and I shouldn't have to go through this rigamorole to get it noticed. In any case, my main concern is that these posts are much worse than anything that was posted in the 'da town' thread, yet it was closed and the former thread was not.

There was no valid reason for closing this thread. I have shown this, I believe, by what I say above. Its equally unfair to suggest that the thread would have decended into a black hole, you could say that about almost every thread on boards and in particular in the Louth forum.

Well, if you don't wish to provide the evidence, I'll consider this case pretty much closed :)

As I said above, context is everything. Taking the comments you've outlined above just as they are, they don't seem so bad in the greater scheme of things.

With regard to the thread in question in your original post, I agree with the mods desicion to lock it. I'm sorry that you don't feel the same way, but unfortunately there is little we can do about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement