Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent reduction

Options
  • 23-08-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Meeting with landlord tonight to discuss lease up next month. Will be signing for another year subject to decrease in rent. Pay 1150 now down from 1250 last year. Looking at reduction to 1000 now but do i ask straight for this or let the landlord decide and ask how low can you go?

2bed apart in rathfarnham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tell him what you want - why would he offer you a discount if you dont ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

i would save some ads of similar apt's in the same area to show you have researched this and know what to do if he does not be reasonable about your request. A non confrontational non verbal way to make your point without causing any upset. you will have to deal with him for another year all going well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

I would do the bargaining thing.

I just got a rent reduction on a 4 bed apt in Rathmines, from 1800 to 1500. I started the landlord off saying, we're looking for a rent reduction, then asked for 1300. He laughed in my face, said that he wouldn't give us a cent less then 1600, I said how about 1500 and we shook on it.

The whole conversation took less than 45 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Zoodlebop wrote: »
    I would do the bargaining thing.

I just got a rent reduction on a 4 bed apt in Rathmines, from 1800 to 1500. I started the landlord off saying, we're looking for a rent reduction, then asked for 1300. He laughed in my face, said that he wouldn't give us a cent less then 1600, I said how about 1500 and we shook on it.

The whole conversation took less than 45 secs.

Nice one ;) Sounds like your landlord is not the most skilled negotiator.

Its funny how people reveal their price when you shock them like that. He should never had told you he was willing to go to 1600. Anyways, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Well got our rent down to 1000 from 1150 (1250 last year). Asked him how low would he go and he said 100 or 150 off. So we shook on the 1k. Was understanding that rents had come down. So we signed another 12 months

• Advertisement
Advertisement