Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depressed People

• 23-08-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

did you get her number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Or how about we round up all the depressed people and put them in a county all to their own. Birds of a feather flock together, they'll love it. I vote we use Cavan. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

geeeess I feel depressed now but your right a sunny morning is a great tonic, good for you getting out if only it was so easy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

snyper wrote: »
    if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

But you can run away from the cause, mainly the depression caused by trying to make a living in this ****ed up run country.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate sunny weather, rain and the cold.

What hope is there for me? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

:D

well, not everyone can just leave, but i see your point.
    i know few people who moved out to spain to live because of gloomy weather here.

alot of people in ireland drink too much or take drugs ..both of which destroys your mental health.

i believe once you take away drink/drugs, most people would be fine..so long as you've got good health, roof over your head, food.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Usain Bolt probably could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Futurism wrote: »
    Usain Bolt probably could.
    Or The Flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar", the new must have fashion accessory.

Every tosser who has a bad day in now depressed.

Not to detract from serious illnesses in those who actually have it, but jeez, bi-polar me hole. (Mostly)

• Advertisement

'Depression' is also a good way to avoid appearing in court over a debt.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I dunno, the crappy economy doesn't stop at Irish borders. Getting a job abroad is not easy at the moment. I think a lof of Irish people are financially tied to this country now. Anyone who owns their house cant sell it, so moving abroad is not really an option.

That said, I'd love to say "Fcuk everything" and just jump ship for a year or two. Sipping lattes on a sunny terrrace sounds like heaven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Elessar wrote: »
    Or how about we round up all the depressed people and put them in a county all to their own. Birds of a feather flock together, they'll love it. I vote we use Cavan. Win win.
    *cough* *cough* *sakjbfaviugxcjbvjbasUlster;oisfhiv;snbv;gs*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I took your advice, I'm lost in Mexico. I have no money left, these people are scary they've already stole my pants and shoes. What do I do?!! They keep talking at me but I don't speak any Mexican. I have no money to pay for this internet time and these people have guns. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Interesting take on it, and its one that people often talk about. I think the weather is probably the biggest factor in people being depressed. I know there are various sub-plots involved ranging from marriage issues to relationship troubles. But the weather compounds these personal problems. There's nothing worse than getting up to a dreary dark wet morning. Its no coincidence that countries like Sweden, Finland and Estonia where there are long dark winters, have among the highest suicide rates in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Here here. It gets on my f*cking tits how misunderstood depression is.

People still appear to believe there is some sort of choice involved.

If it were a choice, then no-one would have depression!

It's stopped raining here, i feel better already.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Crappy weather can be everywhere... but we get a lot more than most in europe.

Problem with moving away is that people have a lot behind them, they still have friends, they might have a job or family, they might be tied down to loans or have a girlfriend that is not willing to make the move. Some would be homesick.

I thought about moving to newzeland, but I am not sure if I can make that move, have too much here in Ireland. I think I would end up homesick after a few weeks anyway :P

Definately thinking of moving to Belgium, what a country. People don't rip you off, recreation is cheap, the weather is great, their infrastructure is, in my opinion, a hundred times better than ours, it's just a better run and nicer country. Only problem is the language barrier, which I am working on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 claddy

grenache wrote: »
    Its no coincidence that countries like Sweden, Finland and Estonia where there are long dark winters, have among the highest suicide rates in the country.
    When did Ireland conquer Sweden, Finland and Estonia?

Trí wrote: »
    Here here. It gets on my f*cking tits how misunderstood depression is.

People still appear to believe there is some sort of choice involved.

If it were a choice, then no-one would have depression!

Thing with depression is, in some cases, you are better off in a certain situation. If you are jobless, you might become depressed, getting a job can solve that. Same goes for relationships, money, loans and location. The weather can also trigger depression (forget that type though) so moving to somewhere sunny can help.

There are choices that a person can make which will help with their depression a LOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

claddy wrote: »

Last night when you were in the bed.

Our secret weapon, NAMA will buy the countries up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

well we taught the English a thing or too for invading, payback time for those bloody vikings I say, 1200 years we've been waiting, time enough .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

I love long dark winters,especially icey cold winter mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Papad wrote: »
    So I was over in PI to and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

This made me smile a little bit :) Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I'm in a hot country at the moment, three months in fact and I'm still depressed. Its not the weather...I think most people just need new direction and new goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Senna wrote: »
    So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

Or more likely that the boss was too greedy during the bubble, and that his business has gone down the crapper as a result, leaving some very depressed unemployed people behind.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mega man wrote: »
    I'm in a hot country at the moment, three months in fact and I'm still depressed. Its not the weather...I think most people just need new direction and new goals.

You should buy a compass and a new football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

The only goals left in this country are trying to figure out which ATM machine is worth robbing because it's impossible to make money here anymore and the bit you save is eaten up by taxes. I decided to move recently and it was the best decision I ever made, I was sick to death of this place in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland.

+1. Damn right.

What a stupid thoughtless post.

If you are depressed because of the recession, it means you were greedy... how the hell do you make that one out? I guess you didn't get good marks in your English exams, did you?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You should buy a compass and a new football.

and maybe some new friends

and maybe some new friends

You can do that in Buy and Sell.

where did you read there are no suicides in hot countries surely this is not true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great topic O.P i myself will be leaving Ireland for good in a week, never to brigten these shores again except on holidays, ive lived outside Ireland a lot of time but i returned 3 years ago and wish i hadnt, anyway whats done is done and im now off for good, cant wait.

fintonie wrote: »
    where did you read there are no suicides in hot countries surely this is not true

There are no suicides relating to cold/ wet weather in hot countries, there may however be possible suicides related to the heat though.:pac:

Great topic O.P i myself will be leaving Ireland for good in a week, never to brigten these shores again except on holidays, ive lived outside Ireland a lot of time but i returned 3 years ago and wish i hadnt, anyway whats done is done and im now off for good, cant wait.

take care. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dresden8 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar"
    No, it's not just you. There is a lot of ignorance out there, and a lot of people are as misinformed as you and similarly don't have a clue. :)
    the new must have fashion accessory.
    Oh I'm sure your fellow experts were calling it the "new" fashion accessory in the 80s too.
    Every tosser who has a bad day in now depressed.
    Really? Intriguing. Care to back that up?
    Not to detract from serious illnesses in those who actually have it
    But you've done it anyway. ;)
    but jeez, bi-polar me hole. (Mostly)
    I'm assuming you don't know what bipolar disorder is? Tip: go find out.

Seriously, I'd say there might be the odd person who is feeling pissed off with life and reckons they are ill with depression, but many people genuinely are ill with it - and what do they need? Some genius ranting about how a lot of people just say they have depression as a fashion accessory.

Also, anyone who says moving away will help you has obviously no familiarity with this illness whatsoever. Sorry, I know the intentions are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Originally Posted by Papad
    I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland.

Agreed. Its not just the weather, its the whole Irish mentality it completely wears you down. Obviously the OP isn't suggesting this as a solution to serious depression/mental illness but for those of us feeling a bit down with how things are going lately its exactly the right solution. I moved to London earlier this summer and have never looked back. Weather is a bit better (30 degrees today :D) more job opportunities (took me just one week to find a job vs 3 months in Dublin before giving up) and just generally there's a better attitude and its not even that far away. Just basically to realise that you're not stuck, there are other options and maybe a bit of time away until all this is over is what's needed.

• Advertisement

I always taught bipolar was a fear of the north and south pole regions which left you depressed are you saying this is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

fintonie wrote: »
    I always taught bipolar was a fear of the north and south pole regions which left you depressed are you saying this is not true

be serious.
    it's fear of gay polar bears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Yeah, that's true. Environment never has an effect on your mental health.

C'mon, in some cases of course it will help to get out of a ****ty country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

boogle wrote: »
    I dunno, the crappy economy doesn't stop at Irish borders. Getting a job abroad is not easy at the moment. I think a lof of Irish people are financially tied to this country now. Anyone who owns their house cant sell it, so moving abroad is not really an option.

So guess who is still paying off a mortgage back home in Ireland and can't sell the house. Yesirreeebob, me. But I couldn't let it be the determining factor of whether to stay or not. I haven't loads of money, but I have enough to pay rent here and the mortgage at home. But here's the trick: move to a place with a reasonable cost of living. This wouldn't be possible if I moved to New York or LA and the costs associated with places like that. After much research, I found my slice of Heaven in the American South. Paying rent of about 370 Euros, with a balcony overlooking the lake (and all the facilities: pool, walking trails, free business center, fitness center etc.).

Now I know that not everyone can just upshot and move to the American South, but you are legally entitled to move to sunnier places in Europe. And don't forget the lottery visas that are available each year for the States. By the way, there's a difference between moving to a place that is hot, and fairly warm .......... I would recommend the latter.

And the fact that a depressed person might actually start thinking and planning a move from Ireland is a suitable distraction to their problems. Some people say that problems follow people; I say that a fresh start is better than no start at all.
    ScumLord wrote:
    I took your advice, I'm lost in Mexico. I have no money left, these people are scary they've already stole my pants and shoes. What do I do?!! They keep talking at me but I don't speak any Mexican. I have no money to pay for this internet time and these people have guns.

Herein lies your problem: They haven't a clue what you're talking about. They speak Spanish there.

wudangclan wrote: »
    be serious.
    it's fear of gay polar bears!

No it's the fear of bi polar bears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Martyr wrote: »
    i believe once you take away drink/drugs, most people would be fine..so long as you've got good health, roof over your head, food.. ;)
    This implies having all those positives in life like you've mentioned will deem a person immune to depression - so, so not true.
    Thing with depression is, in some cases, you are better off in a certain situation. If you are jobless, you might become depressed, getting a job can solve that. Same goes for relationships, money, loans and location. The weather can also trigger depression (forget that type though) so moving to somewhere sunny can help.

There are choices that a person can make which will help with their depression a LOT.
    Agreed. I was depressed when I was unemployed - getting a job was the only cure I needed. But there are some people who just have a depressive illness - and their circumstances don't make any difference either way. There are different types of depression.
    And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.
    Does it? So if a person was made redundant simply because the company was closing down, it means they were "greedy"? Seriously, I thought people had moved on from this sh1t of "every recession casualty did it to themselves".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think you knew i ment 'in the world'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Dudess wrote:
    This implies having all those positives in life like you've mentioned will deem a person immune to depression - so, so not true.

Not true for everyone, no.
    But for a majority? What's the cause?

I've seen many people break down because of alcohol and drugs and I know it has never helped anyone "cope" with stress or unhappiness in their lives,never has and never will.

The vast majority of these people I knew were fit and healthy.
    They weren't starving, they weren't homeless...imo they should be thankful for those things, yet could never appreciate that.

It was more important to worry about fivolous issues.. not having a social life or relationship problems with their boyfriend/girlfriend ..just some stupid drama.

ah sure, hit the pub and everything will be grand.

"poor me" "pour me another" ;)

there must be a name for it but I dont know if it exists,

for me I dont remember the hurt or pain I cause myself,

its only when I go through a certain episode I think I will never let this happen again but I do,

its like the memory blocks the episode that caused the pain, I dont remember much of my past life so the depression keeps returning,

for longer stints every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning.
    I live here and love the rain, dark days, cold weather in this great country. The rest of ye can f-off to Australia of some other overrated place. The only thing I dislike about Ireland is people like you who moan on and on about the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement