Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new Late Late Show your thoughts/hopes

• 23-08-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start discussion, about what you people hope and feel the new show will be like with Tubridy at the helm. It was an almost certainty to find a thread bashing the last late here on boards on a friday night or saturday morning. Although I'm sure this will surely still be common as seemedly anything RTE produced (excluding Pure Mule) will get slated here.

So BS aside, what do you hope, becomes of RTEs flagship show?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

That it gets axed, seriously it going to long, just like Coronation Street and most of the soaps.

As for being serious about the new season of The Late Late Show: -

Bring back the enterprise show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tubs in a live hostage situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Your man Stokes telling Tubs he's an insufferable arshehole and then driving his car into Tubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Same old recycled Z LISTERS I suppose. Bring back Gaybo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I cannot see myself enjoying it. I hate Ryan Tubridy. I hated Gay Byrne too. I was indifferent to Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

I don't want Light Entertainment.

I want Heavy Entertainment.

I want to be heavily entertained.

If the segment is comedy, I want it to burst my guts with laughter.

If the segment is music, I want it to be amazingly proficient, daring, enthusiastic, left-of-the-dial, and substantial.

But I expect the 'new' show to be so much middle-of-the-road safe recycled dreck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

What a cheery and optimistic bunch we are on this forum!rolleyes.gif Typically Irish to give out about him before he has even started. I think that Ryan will be a great host and bring it more in line with the Gay Byrne era. In a couple of months we will be saying Pat who?

Good luck to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Koloman wrote: »
    What a cheery and optimistic bunch we are on this forum!rolleyes.gif Typically Irish to give out about him before he has even started. I think that Ryan will be a great host and bring it more in line with the Gay Byrne era. In a couple of months we will be saying Pat who?

Good luck to him!
    I totally agree everyone is bashing poor tubs.I really enjoyed his saturday night show and I would like more of the same on the late late!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In a couple of months we will be saying Pat who?

Yes and we'll be saying Ryan - why?

Yes and we'll be saying Ryan - why?

Yes and we'll be saying Ryan - why(are you so good!)?smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ryan Tubs cant present its as simple as that, he cant interview serious people only light entertainment and he looks so ackward in front of a camera, only in Ireland would he be given a live talk show. It wont matter much because there will be such a massive Public backlash against the late late show once he takes over,you just have to remember what happened when he done the rose of Tralee there was a massive outcry and he was sacked:D the older audience will switch off in there droves and ratings will plunge, no doubt about that, either the late late show will be cancelled next year or they will get a new presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Yes and we'll be saying Ryan - why(are you so good!)?smile.gif

Hello Ryan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I hope that tubs never ever ever goes up into the audience jesus he always manages to insult somebody when he does , between calling a girl wearing glasses 4 eyes to mocking anothers dress ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

3/2 odds dave mcsavage is on the first show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it will get huge ratings but still be ****

he looks so ackward in front of a camera

The robotic Pat Kenny was a natural in front of camera wasn't he!rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The robotic Pat Kenny was a natural in front of camera wasn't he!rolleyes.gif

No Kenny was ****e. Just like Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

At least we'll have a decent late late toy show this year. Pat kenny with the children was pathetic. You could see how fake he was with the little kids.
    "oh, looks who we have over here. Its mary! How are you mary?" pfft, like he cared?
    At least tubs can have a laugh like..

At least we'll have a decent late late toy show this year. Pat kenny with the children was pathetic. You could see how fake he was with the little kids.
    "oh, looks who we have over here. Its mary! How are you mary?" pfft, like he cared?
    At least tubs can have a laugh like..

He will be great with the kids. Pat Kenny talked to the children as if they where adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What a cheery and optimistic bunch we are on this forum!rolleyes.gif Typically Irish to give out about him before he has even started.

I hated his Saturday evening show. My only experience of seeing him presenting a chat show I feel is valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

In fairness to Kenny, he could do the heavy issues well. He was cool in a debate too, not afraid to put politicians on the spot.

Tubs is a FF lacky, he avoids sensitive issues critical of FF.
    Imagine Tubs trying to handle the Ryan Report?

Actually, imagine him trying to handle anything outside book reveiws, the Kennedys or D4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I loved his saturday night show.. Had a right aul laugh watching it and all. :pac:

maybe hes not cut out for the serious ends of things. Guess we'll have to see, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

What a cheery and optimistic bunch we are on this forum!rolleyes.gifTypically Irish to give out about him before he has even started. I think that Ryan will be a great host and bring it more in line with the Gay Byrne era. In a couple of months we will be saying Pat who?

Good luck to him!

He's been on TV and radio for years, he's not going to magically be possessed by the spirit of Gaybo and become a talented presenter. People said the same about Cowen, "he's only started, give him a chance" when he'd been in Cabinet for 20 years and done nothing much.

994 wrote: »
    He's been on TV and radio for years, he's not going to magically be possessed by the spirit of Gaybo and become a talented presenter. People said the same about Cowen, "he's only started, give him a chance" when he'd been in Cabinet for 20 years and done nothing much.

Cowen has far more experience of plamasing people, he might be better suited to TLLS :D

Anyway I think we are being a bit harsh before he has started. I think he can do entertainment quiet well, but he will really have to prove himself on serious topics, and lets face it Gay Bryne wasn't the most senstive of people, remember the Mother of Bishop Casey's son walking off, she was absolutly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I belive he's going to have the house band of **** too.......FFS, Clint Dickhead and his mob of muppets............what a freaking mess of car crash tv it'll be.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    So BS aside, what do you hope, becomes of RTEs flagship show?

Your hopes for this thread maybe dashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'd watch Ryan over Pat any day. No-one will ever live up to Gay, though, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

That we have the same awesome threads here during the show we had last year, this was taking a not entertaining show taking the piss out of it and making it entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 bring back the enterprise show!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I for one will be hitting the pub as my missus will be sure to be watching it and it would give me clinical depression to watch three hours of Tubridy non stop.

Deal or No Deal will be on TV3. Now that's competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

This weeks Late late Show with Ryan Tubridy...

De music has been changed..its more jazzy, more hip, dats what de kids want dese days
    Camera 1 opens to a new look studio, deres an outline of dublin in de background...

• Someone from RTE we found wandering around RTE, they were really sick and now they're, like, better.
    • A presenter from an RTE show, its really good, its not the same format as has been used in 232 other countries.( that would cost a f***ing packet) We've given it an "Irish" take
    • Lucy Kennedy, she tells Ryan how hard it is inteviewing celebrities, Ryan agrees.
    • Music from a new band...theyre slightly ironic
    • Ryan discusses Mad Men with a panel of female journalists. Wets pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

First time I ever saw this ad was on a Saturday night during Tubridy Tonight...

Ryan Tubridy, the Dancing Milkman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭moceri

Ryan Tubridy = Insufferable Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I belive he's going to have the house band of **** too.......FFS, Clint Dickhead and his mob of muppets............what a freaking mess of car crash tv it'll be.

Oh God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

That bloody Clint Velour really gets on my wick!!

Bring back the days when there were real stars on TLLS.

Plus there will no doubt be an appearence of his moh who seems to be one of the "new stars" of our National Broadcaster.

The place is just rancid with croneys....

How long before Gerald Kean and that blow-up Doll of his are featured? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

People always forget that Gay Byrne was producer of the Late Late as well as presenter, he had total editorial control over the whole gig.

When Kenny 'took over', what really happened was a change of face in front of the camera with RTE middle-management staffers taking over production.

Kenny and Tubridy are different types of animals. The latter you'll find ten-a-penny on regional UK TV stations doing weather reports.

RTE can't and won't admit that their cash cow died a long time ago with Byrne's departure. They've already lost one major sponsor (Renault) under Kenny's tenure.

The Late Late was always successful because of its mix of heavy and light. Kenny could do 'heavy', but couldn't do 'light', Tubridy can do 'light' but he can't do 'heavy'.

I can't see The Late Late's older demographic taking to Tubridy at all.

People always forget that Gay Byrne was producer of the Late Late as well as presenter, he had total editorial control over the whole gig.

When Kenny 'took over', what really happened was a change of face in front of the camera with RTE middle-management staffers taking over production.

Kenny and Tubridy are different types of animals. The latter you'll find ten-a-penny on regional UK TV stations doing weather reports.

RTE can't and won't admit that their cash cow died a long time ago with Byrne's departure. They've already lost one major sponsor (Renault) under Kenny's tenure.

The Late Late was always successful because of its mix of heavy and light. Kenny could do 'heavy', but couldn't do 'light', Tubridy can do 'light' but he can't do 'heavy'.

I can't see The Late Late's older demographic taking to Tubridy at all.

Gay Byrne never needed a sponsor. And Kenny got Renault and Halifax, sponsors come and go. Now Tubs has Quinn, he had Smart a few years back, He bankrupt them haha.

Gay Byrne was only producer for the last 10 years he possibly should have produced it for a few years after his departure.

Elmo wrote: »
    Gay Byrne was only producer for the last 10 years he possibly should have produced it for a few years after his departure.
    Nope, he produced all the Late Lates he presented bar the first ever series in the 60's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Tubridy's Typical Late Late Show:

The tv studio will have a green tint to it: No, its not a new means of filming the show, its the stench of Tubridy's smugness. It will seep into your living room.

1: Have on a washed-up, pathetic former soap star peddling their hack of autobiography that no-one in their right mind would ever wipe their ass with, let alone buy.
    2: Next up, its the mandatory RTE guest with a new show telling everyone how 'great' the piece of filth is.
    3: Another guest; Tubridy will show his audience how smart he is by making obscure references throughtout the interview.

4. There's one for everyone in the audience!, i.e. the constant shilling of goods usually involving a hamper-basket of organic Galway Whelk or vouchers for smear testing.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that a fire will sweep through the studio killing eveything in it's path before slowly burning the skin of Tubritwat as the cameras continue to roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

it will get huge ratings but still be ****

Oh God :eek: - You're right, the Pubs are empty on Friday nights now 'cause of the big R.

I bet Ryan will see this as the public loving his dictiofrenetic vocabulary, flat nerdy chortling, and cringe-inducing audience participation games.

I can see him now; Walking on stage every Friday night patting himself on the back - an overgrown Ventriloquists Dummy on the loose - propelled by a gargantuan but utterly inexplicable ego.

I bet even Aoibheann feels like shooting herself in the face after 5 minutes in his company - I hope she wins the strange bet she must be taking part in......!!!

00028a2b0cdr.jpg

Sometimes he doesn't annoy me that much and other time he annoys me particularly badly, the front of the current RTÉ Guide is a case in point of how he annoys me.

FFS the 1950s chat show host act is old at this stage, "Hip baby hip keeping it hip yeah."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

00028a2b0cdr.jpg

good god, does the man not think that he's hated enough. I can, however relate to the 2nd last square, as this was my own reaction when I heard that the smug bastard was taking over the late late....

Moralometer? fk off sh1thead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Love the goatse in the middle pic.

00028a2b0cdr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3t4_0Hjh4&feature=related

The day of that type of stuff is gone. Byrne was a pompous ass. But a superb host. Since 1999 it has been a weak excuse for a talk show.

Tubridy needs to style it in a similar vein to Jonathan Ross's show on BBC, and let Pat Kenny do the political/topical thing on the monday evening. It would make what was balled up in the Late Late, and Questions and Answers so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Everything the man does is a poor imitation of Letterman, O'Brien and the likes. From the props on his show to his not so witty phrases and mannerisms.

Ryan Tubridy is a piece of cardboard.

I always thought that the show was at its best when dealing with the serious issues in our society. Tubbers hasnt a chance in this arena, wont stop people watching tho.

Your just not going to this again, Is this entertainment or Current Affairs????? or classic comedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That bi*tch daughter of his took the taxpayer for 1.1 million paying off her court fees. She's a class act in immorality. Gay was brilliant that night in giving him just enough rope (discreetly) to hang himself.

Just think though, these revelations would NEVER have been made with FF lover Tubridy at the helm. There is no way that he would have allowed Flynn to hang himself, and would have weighted the questions so as to protect the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭blueovalmk2

hes bringing that arsehole band with him,lord there cringe bags!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement