Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size usb?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

are the first years getting this year?
    back in the day we got a 256mb flash drive
    last I heard was its a 4gb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

woop wrote: »
    are the first years getting this year?
    back in the day we got a 256mb flash drive
    last I heard was its a 4gb

4 gig's, that's brilliant! I might head down to Belfield and try and pass myself off as 1st year just to get it!:D

Me: "Yes, I would like to the computer orientation course."
    IT Staff: "Oh right, could you give me your student number?"
    Me: "I don't know..."

Several minutes of a pause follow before I walk out of Daedalus in shame.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I love the way UCD know very well we have absolutely no need for 4gb in terms of school work (apart from those of us doing engineering or design who may want to put applications on them), and yet they give us them anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

06- 256 MB
    07- 1 GB
    08- 4 GB

Seems they are going up 4 times each time, any chance of 16 GB:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I love the way UCD know very well we have absolutely no need for 4gb in terms of school work (apart from those of us doing engineering or design who may want to put applications on them), and yet they give us them anyway...

UCD are giving away a free 4 gig usb and all you can complain about is the ratio of level of work to storage capacity? Do the words; 'gift', 'horse' and 'mouth' mean anything?
    Possible reason why UCD are giving out such usbs; economies of scale, better technology development in terms of usb storage etc...
    Why would you think UCD even care about the amount of work a student does and the amount of space on a usb? And how do you know people in arts or science won't need all of that storage? I was in ucd for three years (BA) and I used 3 and a half gigs of memory on different memory sticks, and that was from college work alone.
    I remember the 256 ones, those were simple times!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I remember the 64 MB times... but as a post grad... well, 1st year postgrad, couldn't resist the 4 GB :D And they were offered to new graduate students...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm Sligo I think you misinterpreted a casual observation meant to portray the gift in a slightly humorous light. However, feel free to read my rant if you want.
    Actually the words Horse and Mouth mean very little in this context. A horse I believe is a large creature, that in olden times was used for transport, over time however language develops so we dropped the "tran" and we are now left with just sport. A mouth is an opening people eat and breath through, though I guess some of us enjoy shoving someone else's *lolipop* in there.

I can't help but think your reaction is just because of our previous conversation on the thread about fees. I try not to hold grudges across different boards.

Lol mate no worries, it was just a casual observation. A normal word doc is what like 10 kb, so I'll be able to get some 400,000 or so on. Happy days. Wow over 400,000 pages of text I can access at any time, really something I require.

My brothers girlfriend just finished her Thesis. A massive document contains huge amount of information, its bound in pink and can be found in the UCD library, probably not worth the read unless your interested in the area. Thats barely breaking 300,000 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's 4 gigs again this year.

Advertisement