Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went to Paris, Texas on Saturday night in Kilkenny...

Options
  • 23-08-2009 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

It was packed but we noticed that there were no women there... absolute sausage fest - just lads dancing, hugging and drooling over eachother. What sort of fecking bar is it? We kind of ran away after our first pint cos we didn't know what to think.

We ended up in Langtons, a fairly classy lookin place. Didn't see many farmers there though.:pac: I know everybody here hates Langtons, so where should I go next time I'm out in KK of a Saturday night? I hate pop/chart music by the way.

Oh yeah and what's so dangerous about John street? I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Kilkenny for a stag party (please don't shoot me!!:o) about 4 years ago and we did a pub crawl, at one point going to Paris Texas or a few. It was overcrowded and full of Dublin-based jocks and scummers who were utterly pissed off their heads. The environment was as menacing and unrelaxed as you could possibly imagine. Not impressed.

To the OP - I thought the new gay bar in Kilkenny was called Dignity II?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Overblood wrote: »
    Didn't see many farmers there though.:pac:

You obviously go for the agricultural type...next time may I suggest you and your chums enjoy a weekend away at the Ploughing Championship?

Don't forget your rubbers though (boots :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Overblood wrote: »
    It was packed but we noticed that there were no women there... absolute sausage fest - just lads dancing, hugging and drooling over eachother. What sort of fecking bar is it? We kind of ran away after our first pint cos we didn't know what to think.

We ended up in Langtons, a fairly classy lookin place. Didn't see many farmers there though.:pac: I know everybody here hates Langtons, so where should I go next time I'm out in KK of a Saturday night? I hate pop/chart music by the way.

Oh yeah and what's so dangerous about John street? I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

No local women would go to Paris Texas for a drink or food, bloody crap for both and out of town women are most likely part of a hen party and up John St somewhere.

Farmers only go to langtons on Thursday nights.

And John St isn't dangerous it's just really really annoying at the weekends. It's full of stag and hen parties every weekend and it's really not nice to have to step over drunk twits or piles of vomit on your way home.

Somewhere like Ryans if they've a good band in or Cleeres or the pumphouse is usually good - fairly mixed gender wise and good atmosphere and no hen/stags. Was in Ryans a couple of fridays ago listening to a pretty decent band [forgot their name though] and a hen party walked in in the middle of a song and lead singer just blurted out "what the f*ck are they?" really loudly. Needless to say the hen party quickly left.....don't know how they escaped John street, should look into putting a fence up or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Lanigans is a decent enough spot there on rose inn street.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yeah the food in Paris Texas was very disappionting - reheated and uninspiring:(. I think they were trying to go for some sort of Tex Mex type of thing like the (now gone) Judge Roy Beans in Dublin. It was packed with stag parties from Dublin pissed and coked off thier heads.

Where would you rate the best bar for craic and good food these days in Kilkenny? Is Maggie Hollands still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Maggie's is The Playwright now. It's still worth a look in. The food there is great, it's good for sport and it's in a good spot. The crowd can get a little rough at the weekend but it's still miles ahead of Paris Texas.

The Field does the best food in town for value, hands down. I think the menu there is phenomenal. I wouldn't be into the place for the nightlife buzz (the music is utter crap for one) but it has a rare Kilkenny late bar and gets a big crowd in.

The Left Bank seems to be the main place that people are gravitating to for the craic these days. Unlike an awful lot of big Kilkenny pubs (ie Langtons or Paris Texas) the staff are very polite, the atmosphere in there is comfortable and welcoming and they've got well organised door staff who don't welcome stags, hens or any undesireables for that matter. As for food, the place is a washout. A couple of panini's is about it. Then again, when you're making as much money as they are on the booze why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Threadhead wrote: »
    As for food, the place is a washout. A couple of panini's is about it.

Not true actually, they carry it across from the Hibernian (At least they used to)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Ah right, I wasn't aware of that. All I'd seen in there was panini menus. In that case, it's probably a pretty good place to go all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

is nero's night club still going in kilkenny??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

chicklick wrote: »
    is nero's night club still going in kilkenny??

No but they've changed the layout and it's a nightclub part of Kytlers, good craic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

wasn't it always part of kytlers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Nero's was always part of Kytlers, yet a stand-alone entitity in itself as a night club until about 3 years ago (to the best of my recollection) they merged it with Kytlers proper and replaced the aging cheap 90's discotheque decor, stairs and 10 foot mirrors (so you could look at yourself dancing like a moron) with a blind shot in the vague direction of some sort of Argos Catalogue inspired Medieval Banqueting hall, replete with faux cast iron trimmings, walls in Hint of Puke by Dulux and (badly) hand painted coats of arms.

They have also reduced the capacity of the place by trading the spacious upstairs for a large, empty, sterile triangular landing which leads either to the toilet, a small smoking area overlooking the roof of Dunnes Stores or back the way you came (best option).

Venture downstairs to the beer garden where DJ Radical Krazy Kool blasts out Robbie Williams through an aging set of speaker tops which are utterly incapable of producing anything remotely near the bass domain to a pissed and disinterested small group of people and ask yourself why nobody goes there anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fabby, you're obviously a fan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Obviously...

Granted, in the drunken halcyon days of my youth when weekly attendance was the norm, they used to pack the pack Nero's so tight that it would take a quarter of an hour to walk up the stairs to the toilet, and that is not an exageration. Fire hazardalicious.

I'd say they made enough money back in the good ole days to buy the rest of the buildings on Kieran Street and grind them up into a snortable powder.

Thankfully, these days people have choice though, and most of them chose the Left Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

Yeah everyone seems to go to the left bank alright but its full of shapers and seems to really lack something which i just cant put my finger on...

Ryans is the best bar in kk by far,good music,good people and nobody cares who you are or what you do...easy going as fook!!Other than that would prob be heading down the parliment street direction some good bars there too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Where in the city is the Left Bank? They have a decent website but no address anywhare on it (from what I can see)?

tonc76 wrote: »
    Where in the city is the Left Bank? They have a decent website but no address anywhare on it (from what I can see)?

It's on the Parade which is just down from the castle there at the traffic lights. It'd be near the Ormonde & Hibernian hotels. If you come here, just ask someone where's the Left Bank, everyone knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Slap bang in the centre of town at the parade. Across the road from The Hibernian/AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

jerseyeire wrote: »
    It's on the Parade which is just down from the castle there at the traffic lights. It'd be near the Ormonde & Hibernian hotels. If you come here, just ask someone where's the Left Bank, everyone knows it.

Thanks staying in the ormonde:D

Advertisement