Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emerging talent?...

• 23-08-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Hi everyone. There has been alot of talk recently regarding who is the better player between anderson and lucas. Now that got me thinking. Who would people rather have in their team/squad between Anderson, Lucas, Mikel and Steven Ireland.

Also who do people think will become the best player?

I would appreciate negative comments to be kept to a minimum. Its just a subject I'm curios to hear people's opinions on...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ireland
    Anderson
    Mikel
    Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Ireland
    Anderson
    Mikel
    Lucas

Kinda agree , but i have hope Lucas will become a far far better player , Steve Ireland is miles ahead of the rest tho , thats my 2 cent worth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ireland
    Lucas
    Mikel
    Anderson

I would have had Anderson first a year ago but he really has gone backwards imo, not sure if it's just been injuries or not but anytime i've seen him he's looked to have regressed. Lucas has improved a lot in the last 6 months but before that he probably would have been bottom by some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think most people would have Ireland ahead of the other 3. Mikel I think is a bit unfair as he's not the same position as the others.

I also think Anderson and Lucas are both at the right clubs, if they were swapped I don't think either would fit in as well. Hard to say which is better, I think Anderson has the more potential though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Ireland
    Lucas
    Mikel
    Anderson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ireland
    mikel

the lucas/anderson debate, i just find both piss poor tbh, cant seperate them

I thought UTD had turned anderson into a great defensive midfielder.Odd consiering he started as a striker in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

at the moment Ireland is in a different league to the others.

the way they're at the moment it has to be

Ireland
    Mikel
    Lucas
    Anderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought UTD had turned anderson into a great defensive midfielder.Odd consiering he started as a striker in Brazil.

Have you seen his shooting? If he was a striker, I think getting him as far away from the goal was a pretty good move, if only for the safety of the fans behind the goals.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jack Wilshere

/thread closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ireland
    Mikel
    Anderson

Lucas.

I think Lucas is seriously lucky that Liverpool don't have a big squad, he is a joke imo and any Liverpool fan I know dread it when they see his name in the team line-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Stephen Ireland ahead of the rest

Then Mikel and Anderson a level below

Then Lucas a good few levels below them.

I think Anderson and Mikel have the potential to get alot better to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

to be honest i was expecting Ireland to be rated higher than the rest. So does this mean you guys think he would walk into a top four midfield?? well possibly not chelsea's...

I am really not sure what to make of anderson and lucas. time will tell. however mikel has been a regualr for chelsea for years already at this stage and has done a good job imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

8-10 wrote: »
    I think most people would have Ireland ahead of the other 3. Mikel I think is a bit unfair as he's not the same position as the others.
    Ireland is an attacking midfielder who'll be aiming to score in double figures. The others would be doing well to score 5 goals between them in a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Steven Ireland would walk into United's midfield, no question. He's already miles ahead of Anderson in terms of consistency of performance, and he's more skillful. And a better finisher. Anderson could improve hugely, I think that the potential is there, his first two games showed that, when he quelled Gerrard and Fabregas, but the consistency isn't. I hope it appears this season. I rate Mikel, I think he's a better passer than people give him credit for, can see him being deployed further up the pitch later in his career. Not the best holding player, but not terrible at it either. I don't rate Lucas at all, and I know that I am not alone in that even among Liverpool fans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mormank wrote: »
    to be honest i was expecting Ireland to be rated higher than the rest. So does this mean you guys think he would walk into a top four midfield?? well possibly not chelsea's...

He would walk into a top 4 squad, probably start for Arsenal in the majority of their games. He would also imo start or get rotated for Man utd & Liverpool (I could be wrong but i rate Aquilani higher than most seem to on here) imo but Chelsea would be another matter. They have such strenght in depth that he could get lost in the mix there but he would benefit from how they play a more narrow system since Ancelotti arrived meaning he could slot in to 3 of their 4 midfield positions.... not that he is going to leave City anytime soon

but in relation to the thread title of emerging talent whilst talking about midfielders I agree with Headshot, Jack Wilshire for me is the most exciting prospect out their and really looks like he has the potential to be truely World Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ireland and Mikel are starters for their respective clubs with the first being top class and the second being quite solid. The other two are have displayed some potential but are nowhere near the finished products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Tyranax wrote: »
    I rate Mikel, I think he's a better passer than people give him credit for, can see him being deployed further up the pitch later in his career.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

People are being unfair on Lucas. A few months ago I would have agreed but he has improved loads since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

I think Lucas & Anderson are a waste, Mikel is a brilliant player who has alot to learn, Ireland on the other hand is quite the playmaker & Goascorer so my order is

Ireland
    Mikel

Anderson

Lucas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ireland
    anderson
    lucas
    mikel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

:rolleyes:

the clueless opinions on here about Lucas are laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Mikel only filled in that more defensive role because Essien was injured for most of last season - it seems Ancelotti is happy to keep him there. Anderson and Lucas are ok; I'm not sure what the point is of including Stephen Ireland in this comparison - he's an attacking midfielder.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the clueless opinions on here about Lucas are laughable.

I agree

Some people putting him 2nd in the list are having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Ireland has proven that in a big spending team he does nto look out of place at all, we need him back playing for his country asap, bury the hatchett and just grow up everyone.

Anderson when he first turned out for United looked a world beater, last season he came back from olympics jaded and never recovered, he needs to improve HUGELY on last season to fulfill his potential. The same can be said of Mikel, great potential but its time to deliver.

As for Lucas, come off it lads will you's, he will be gone by the start fo next season, you can only carry dead weight so far before Rafa swallows his pride and admits he ain't up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Mikel looked very, very good for Chelsea yesterday. Far more impressive playing a bit higher up the pitch closer to the attacking side of the center circle. He is a very good dribbler and an excellent passer of the ball, would question his discipline at times but I think that is the case with most young midfielders.

I'd have to rate him the best young talent in his position which is a fair bit different to Ireland's, who is closer to a Lampard than a Mikel.

Can't really debate Anderson v Lucas as neither has performed consistently well for their clubs and have balanced out good performances with some mediocre stuff. Anderson is unlucky that United rely on him more than Lucas is important to Liverpool just yet, it gets him more criticism than he deserves I feel.

Lucas is the full Brazil squad for next round of World Cup qualifiers. Great to see the performances he's been putting in the last 8 months get the recognition they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lucas is the full Brazil squad for next round of World Cup qualifiers. Great to see the performances he's been putting in the last 8 months get the recognition they deserve.

What would Dunga know about good midfielders though?

• Advertisement

Exactly :)

Also very relevant to this thread, Anderson is not in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

...and neither is Stephen Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Says more about Dunga than anything else. Brazil as a nation are not happy with him as a coach at all. Still picking Gilberto Silva tells you all you need to know, I don't rate him as a coach at all. Were fierce lucky during the Confederations Cup at times were Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This threas really shows how bad the young talent in the Premiership is compared to Serie A and La Liga.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    This threas really shows how bad the young talent in the Premiership is compared to Serie A and La Liga.

Well, we’re not including Macheda so we’re mis-representing the premier league to a large degree.

Liam Miller is the in the full Ireland squad for the next round of World Cup qualifiers. Great to see his days down the snooker halls and on the scratch in the last 3 months get the recognition they deserve.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    Liam Miller is the in the full Ireland squad for the next round of World Cup qualifiers. Great to see his days down the snooker halls and on the scratch in the last 3 months get the recognition they deserve.

Yea, cause Ireland & Brazil are about the same level on the world stage :rolleyes:

Well, we’re not including Macheda so we’re mis-representing the premier league to a large degree.

Such a petty sarcastic dig at a kid who has just turned 18 who has only made a handful of appearances and probably scored the most important goal in the premiership for Man Utd last season.

It must be sad being that bitter.

But even still Ireland is the only one who is on the same level as Pato, Giovinco, Acquafresca, Alexis Sanchez and Santon and in Spain Messi is younger than Stephen Ireland

Unearthly wrote: »
    Such a petty sarcastic dig at a kid who has just turned 18 who has only made a handful of appearances and probably scored the most important goal in the premiership for Man Utd last season.

It must be sad being that bitter.

I think you’ll find it’s a dig at those who were proclaiming him as a top class player after 10 minutes of a professional career.

So there!

But even still Ireland is the only one who is on the same level as Pato, Giovinco, Acquafresca, Alexis Sanchez and Santon and in Spain Messi is younger than Stephen Ireland

Dunno about anyone else but that name rules.

• Advertisement

Yea, cause Ireland & Brazil are about the same level on the world stage :rolleyes:

How exactly does that make your point any less nonsensical? In international football, styles make squads. The better player isn't always the player picked. Ask David O'Leary, or are you going to tell me Pat Scully was a better centre half than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think you’ll find it’s a dig at those who were proclaiming him as a top class player after 10 minutes of a professional career.

So there!

Man Utd fans were bound to go overboard tbf.

After that goal I wanted to change my name to Federico....

eirebhoy wrote: »

Touche. Blaming the OP for not mentioning Arsenal

Draupnir wrote: »
    How exactly does that make your point any less nonsensical? In international football, styles make squads. The better player isn't always the player picked. Ask David O'Leary, or are you going to tell me Pat Scully was a better centre half than him.

I'm going to tell you that Lucas getting picked for the squad, shows what a lot have been seeing with their own eyes & saying for quite a while, the lad is growing in stature every week, his general play is always getting better, to a point that he rarely looks out of place in one of the best sides in Europe & was key to some of our best games last season.

yet he is still picked out as a figure of fun & someone who is "****e" by people who are truly clueless about football.

so while him being in the Brazil squad is not conclusive "proof" of anything, it does back up what people have been saying about him for quite a while.

Said in my own post that I do think he performs impressively at times and agree that he is picked out as an object of ridicule at times by opposition fans but that is to be expected, Ronaldo was the butt of plenty ofthat in his earlier United days, Im sure uou will agree that that these young players are easy targets due to their well known potential and expectations on them.

My point re: international squads seems to fit with your own, rather than one plyer or another being in the squad making a distinction between their abilities I feel instead it shows a manager sees the player who makes it as performing well and capable of playing their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Ok, if you really want to get in to the premier leagues emerging talent then look no further then Man UTD, Chelsea & Arsenal

You have Macheda, Kakuta, Hutchinson, Mancienne, Evans, Ramsey, Simpson just naming some off the top of my head, all it takes is to look at reserves of a club to see there talent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Giggs

/thread

Insua.

Liverpools first choice LB pretty much, always brilliant, solid defensively & great going forward, only 20 years of age.

Emiliano%20Insua.jpg

I'm going to tell you that Lucas getting picked for the squad, shows what a lot have been seeing with their own eyes & saying for quite a while, the lad is growing in stature every week, his general play is always getting better, to a point that he rarely looks out of place in one of the best sides in Europe & was key to some of our best games last season.

yet he is still picked out as a figure of fun & someone who is "****e" by people who are truly clueless about football.

so while him being in the Brazil squad is not conclusive "proof" of anything, it does back up what people have been saying about him for quite a while.

Am I clueless now? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement