Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigars for the pub.

• 23-08-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

The most annoying thing about being a cigar smoker is that a good cigar really needs time to be savored and thats not really condusive to having a quick smoke while standing outside of the pub in the wind & rain of the night. After a few beers I like a smoke but I'm damned if I'm going to light up a corona and keep cutting it after only smoking 1/3 of it.
    I've done the Ritmeister half coronas but they are not the greatest cigars in thw world to be frank. So what's a good cigar for the pub drinker? Are cigarellos flavoursome? Should I get petit panatellas. Does anyone have a favourite 'small' cigar?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

For the pub I find you have a choice either make it cheap or make it small. I go with the latter, something like a Partagas Short @ 110mm by 40 can fit the bill, though it can last for 20 minutes. Other suggestions could be the HdM Petit Robusto @ 100mm by 50.

Since the smoking ban, I've become rather adept at finding hiding places outside the pub for half amoked cigars. But I don't like to relight them too often as it tends to ruin the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yep I find myself hiding them around in flower pots too.I'm in a contant state of teaching new barstaff NOT to throw away the cigar butts. I love Paratagas #4 so I've no problem trying out the short. And I'll get a sample pack of the petit robustos. Online supplier offering a sample pack of 3 for HdM's for $24.00

Someone has suggested Juan Clemente Minis. Ever tried them?

I don't like Juan Clemente as a brand, way too light for my taste. If you want cigarillios I'd try RyJ or Montecristo.

The Clementes are still handrolled rather then being machined cigarillos and lately I've been favouring milder cigars so I think I'll order a box. I'll let you know what they are like after I tried a few. Have you heard any more about the rolling exhibition at all? Very interested is seeing it done first hand.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    The Clementes are still handrolled rather then being machined cigarillos and lately I've been favouring milder cigars so I think I'll order a box. I'll let you know what they are like after I tried a few. Have you heard any more about the rolling exhibition at all? Very interested is seeing it done first hand.

Fair enough. I'll post when I hear more on the cigar roller. Usually you can ask the torcedor to roll you any size cigar you want. Big unusual sizes are easily made by Bertha - Salomones, Double robusto, Cimmarones....

Advertisement