Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Air Cooler for CPU.

Options
  • 23-08-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Well lads, i'm goin to go back to air now, just feel like a change and would like to try a nice big CPU cooler.
    I have a Thermalright to be installed on my gfx for ages. They still top dog for cpu.
    I'm gonna check things out now myself just thought i'd drop a line here first.
    Also might try and throw together some kinda cube(ish) case, have a disc grinder and a mate with a welder ready to be use :D lol.
    Would like to try and use all recycled goods for the case ie. spend no money, you know to get into the spirit of the whole recession and all. LOL. What i mean is basically cutting up a pair of old cases just big enough to hold the mobo in one side and the rest goes in the other side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

loads of information missing. CPU, socket, case dimensions, will it be overclocked?... etc

I'd recommend a tuniq tower, but as always airflow will also be a concern.

Few good old worklogs for SFF cube-ish cases:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055106513
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336907

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

There are some serious contenders out there now in the air cooling market the megahalems etc. However its getting alot like the water cooling market as in you're paying 20€ more for something that gives you 1-2 degrees extra performance. This is a good review
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=917

But hit up the extremesytems forums under aircooling to see what people are throwing around. I'm upgrading to i7 and I'm going to start with a TRUE and see the temps overclock I can get.

Given noise is my biggest issues if i can't get a decent temp/overclock to noise ratio then I'll invest in a cheap but decent waterblock and see.

But from talking to some people on forums the water temps are better (obviously:rolleyes:) but the extra potential overclock is only 200-300mhz over an aircoolers potential. I think if i hit 4ghz on an 920 (D0) i7 with a TRUE without my case melting I'll be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Tuniq Tower doesn't support i7, socket 775 only. Pity cos its an amazing cooler and comes with a great 120mm fan unlike the TRUE (doesnt come wwith a fan at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Srry lads, it's only an auld 775, e8400. Case dimensions don't matter it will be modded to suit appropriatly big ass Cooler. Will want it to be Overclocked currently on 4ghz with water.
    I won't be doing SFF nessacarily (spl?). It will be made to suit my current components.
    Asus rampage x48, hd 4870, relatively dated now i'm sure but more than enough for my requirments.

The tower still the big dog then, jays i havent missed much then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

nah the TR ultra 120 extreme is slightly better with a decent fan imho. Im still really liking the scythe cooler i have on mine, no idea what its called, but l31mr0d has linked my work log above. It is an absolute bollocks to mount tho :/

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    nah the TR ultra 120 extreme is slightly better with a decent fan imho. Im still really liking the scythe cooler i have on mine, no idea what its called, but l31mr0d has linked my work log above. It is an absolute bollocks to mount tho :/

yeah i think the currents dog's hydraulics are the Megahalem, BARAM, xigamatecs Thors Hammer and TRUE.

But if you have a gander you'll find a cheaper option that will cool at the same performance + 1 or 2 degrees for half the price.

Noctua are always good but that's mainly cause their fans are near silent with great performance

Thermalright ifx14 seems to be top from that review mentioned, thoughts on that. I like to look of it too.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Thermalright ifx14 seems to be top from that review mentioned, thoughts on that. I like to look of it too.

way too big and unecessary, also if i remember they used two fans on it:confused: cause thats the same as running push pull which does give better performance.

There's a pure copper edition of the TRUE that the nordic overclockers used and the temps were something like 6 degrees lower than the standard TRUE and a couple below the black one.

The one thing i'll say about the ifx14 is that it has gone down alot in price but I'd make sure it can fit in your case before buying it.

requiem1 wrote: »
    1.way too big and unecessary,
    2.There's a pure copper edition of the TRUE
    3.ifx14 make sure it can fit in your case before buying it.

1 sounds good to me :D
    2 yeah spotted that, scandalous price though
    3 that won't be a problem. Case will be designed around what it needs to be.

I found an ifx for E50 but it's a version without the back piece.

1 sounds good to me :D
    2 yeah spotted that, scandalous price though
    3 that won't be a problem. Case will be designed around what it needs to be.

I found an ifx for E50 but it's a version without the back piece.

I suppose its go big or go home :)

Watch that cause you could warp your board which is not good, i'm sure you could get a bolt through kit on ebay on the cheap, if i had a spare one i'd give it you:)

Also check how many set of clips for fans come with it, there should be two but some sites only provide one. Please tell me you're going to get some obnoxiously large fans to go with that?

• Advertisement

i've already got 4 scythe ultra kazes for it, they're only 120mm though:rolleyes:, might pick up 140mm something or other for the laugh, why not eh?!:pac:

i've already got 4 scythe ultra kazes for it, they're only 120mm though:rolleyes:, might pick up 140mm something or other for the laugh, why not eh?!:pac:

Exactly mate cool and quiet:cool:

Post up your temps when you get that mother into you rig

Advertisement