Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Fellow a natural progression to PhD?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knew if becoming a research fellow is a natural way of attaining a PhD? I'm looking to continue on in education but am kind of at a crossroads. Research Fellow or Phd? Or does it matter?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi,

I'm not sure but I thought that a fellowship (research) was the next step (in some disciplines) after completion of the PhD? Like a post-doc position? The research assistant on the other hand may be the post for starting PhD students?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

I don't think you could be a research fellow without a Ph.D.

I don't even think you can be a research associate in most institutes without a Ph.D.

Maybe you're talking about a research assistant?

I which case you can get a Ph.D. of published works, if you get enough papers published. Takes ages though.

I would go straight to Ph.D.

Advertisement