Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options
  • 23-08-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I was reading some of the posts by freshers on the forum and I thought it might be useful for those of us who've been there, done that got the degree to impart our years of wisdom and useful tips.

My advice for commencing undergrads would be:
    • Learn how to budget scrupulously, budget for every single thing and stick to it.
    • Learn how to write appropriate english, invest in a thesauras and a dictionary.
    • Do not buy books unless they are absolutely necessary, invest in an alcid card if you really want to cover yourself.
    • You'll probably never read Nietzsche, Kafka etc... out of any particular joy but do read something, and the more obscure it is for an essay or an exam, the more you are enabled to bull**** the exam and come out with a decent grade.
    • Learn a referencing system off or at least have a tab minimized showing how to reference.
    • Learn how the library website works and know the library itself, where books are etc...
    • Attend tutorials, for the simple fact: most of your closest friends you will meet will be in tutorials and you'll only ever have them in most cases in first year, after that you're pretty much left to your own devices.
    • Plagiarism, very simple system really to avoid this: if you never thought of something all by your lonesome, then you reference it, very simple. And if you by some miracle did think of something, check that it's not in something that you're reading.
    • Sobreity is over rated, get used to drinking but for every hour spent drinking, at least two must be spent working (trust me, you'll make this time up by the last two weeks of any semester).
    • Get used to drinking buckfast, I need not explain why...
    • Be polite to the bar staff in the student bars (especially the forum bar next to Quinn, the staff tend to be pretty sound in there).
    • Lecture attendance is a matter of choice, but at least make it to half of your lectures, they are really a waste of time and if I had known this I wouldn't have went to as many.
    • Join a superleague team, they're great craic and good excercise.
    • Never trust any political parties, SU Reps etc...
    • Join Law Soc and the L&H because they get decent guests in, after that they're pretty redundant unless of course you're into debating and all that jazz.
    • Get to know at least one mature student, very useful because they tend to stalk the lecturers and generally they're okay to chat to about academic stuff (i.e. not as obsessed about getting locked all of the time).
    • Invest in a printer, UCD Printing is shockingly expensive for colour.
    • Courtesy is free, so when you're in one of the computer rooms and it's the last fortnight of the semester, try not to waste someone elses' time by being on facebook, myspace etc... it's a pain in the balls waiting for a computer to print off an assignment when some goon is on facebook.

That's all I have at the moment, feel free folks to contribute as you wish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Sringo

Thanks!

I'll try to leep all that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Great advice! My own two cents follows:

For those who are pounced on by security on campus at night and ask for your student card just claim you're not a student.
    Learn to cook its invaluable!
    Don't get bogged down in work first year is about having the craic!
    Get involved in a sport of some kind no point in becoming an overweight binge drinker, might aswell just be an average weight binge drinker! Theres enough sports to cater for everyone and if you are living on campus you're just a lazy sod if you don't!
    Spicy Chicken Fillet roll in Centra is great for a hangover and not too pricey.
    If using a bike bring a mamouth lock! Dont leave your bike on Campus overnight. If you do dont expect it to be there in the morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

€4 euro cooked pizza in Centra
    €10 pitchers of Foster's in SU Bar
    Don't use the ground floor toilets in the Arts building for Barry White's
    Don't go to the gym between 11am and 6:30pm
    Play Super League
    Girls are easy

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

• Buy a laptop - nothing compares to having your own machine!
    • If you're driving in, you need to be in by 8:30. Otherwise you're not realistically going to get a space.
    • Attend all your labs/practicals if you've got them - they're very easy to get high marks in
    • Be nice to your demonstrators/tutors, they can be very handy people to know
    • Start working on any term assignments or projects as early as you can
    • Get to know your student adviser - most of them are very sound and they're handy people to know
    • Same thing with the chaplain (even if you're not religious), most of them are really sound and tend to know how UCD works
    • Don't waste money joining the first soc that bothers you in the fresher's tent
    • You mightn't have the same drinking buddies in your 2nd week as your 1st - no point being picky or choosy with the people you meet!
    • Get to know someone who lives near the college
    • Ignore any advice not to score people in your own class
    • Deal with crap like registration and fees early on- don't bury your head in the sand and expect it to go away, it won't!
    • Some of the smaller societies like JazzSoc and the political parties can be great for getting to know people
    • Check your UCD connect e-mail regularly, or forward it to another account like your GMail
    • There's often plenty of free-food and drink around, you just have to keep an eye open
    • Most of the places to eat on campus are over-priced. Personally I recommend Centra, the Sports Cafe and Elements (when you want something bigger)
    • Elements sell beer with food in the evenings - perfect for a chilled pizza evening with your mates
    • Elements do Apache pizza for delivery on campus
    • Make friends with someone with clear photocopyable handwriting!
    • Alternatively, get up early for your 9am lectures, take very clear notes and get lots of free beer bought for you for taking notes!
    • Many of the librarians are very helpful - ask them if you're not sure about where to find stuff or use the online resources
    • Make sure all your courses are assigned on Blackboard so you'll get the notes
    • Anything you submit electronically is liable to be checked for plagiarism - just don't be tempted. I know people who got caught for seemingly minor stuff.
    • Get to know your SU class rep. Considering running for the post yourself.
    • There's plenty of free food, drink and even money to be made helping out at things like open days - student advisers tend to go looking for people, another reason to get to know them.
    • Crunch fitness are very active in advertising on the first few weeks. They offer a decent enough deal, good gym, but there's no pool/hot-tub/sauna.
    • Don't mess with the security guards, there are plenty of stories about the new firm who've taken over.
    • Don't smash up the buses (specifically the 10 bus into town at night). All that happens is Dublin Bus withdraw them, leaving the campus with no bus service.
    • The student bar tend to enforce the "no bring your own food" rule, at least around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Girls are easy

Tell me more???;)

Anywhere which does drink promotionals dictates your night out, not the other way around. Abandon coppers and D2, they're expensive and crap! Also, there's a pub down below tara st. station called "The Sub", €3.40 for all pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Mad handy thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

El Siglo wrote: »
    [*]Get to know at least one mature student, very useful because they tend to stalk the lecturers and generally they're okay to chat to about academic stuff (i.e. not as obsessed about getting locked all of the time).

Hang on, i'm supposed to stalk the lecturers? Any tips? Should i start with a letter or go straight to hiding in bushes etc?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Hang on, i'm supposed to stalk the lecturers? Any tips? Should i start with a letter or go straight to hiding in bushes etc?

Hiding in bushes and invest in a good camera with a telescopic lens!:D
    No, they're very approachable, 90% are socially retarded but once you get by this you'll be grand!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Chet T16 wrote: »

I find rohypnol works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Hiding in bushes and invest in a good camera with a telescopic lens!:D
    No, they're very approachable, 90% are socially retarded but once you get by this you'll be grand!;)

You only need a telescopic lens if you're afraid to get close ;)

On a more serious note, some top tips for those of us getting quite nervous about starting!

• Advertisement

If you are feeling sick there is a nurse most days in the clinic in the Student centre who you can see without an appointment and you can make an appointment with the doctor either, theres usually a two week wait for the doctor. All this is for free! Was invaluable last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Us mature students aren't that bad are we?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks Sligo and crew. Noted it.

Us mature students aren't that bad are we?;)

No, no lecturers are socially retarded, well a lot of lecturers I've encountered anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Actually go to your lectures, labs and tutorials, no matter how easy or tempting it is to skip. This includes 9am lectures, lunchtime lectures and ones late in the evening.
    • Join a sports club. They are a great way to get to know people, especially from outside your course. Picking up TKD in the first week of first year was one of the best things I ever did in UCD. Same thing goes for societies, particularly the smaller societies.
    • Don't forget that the drink is not the primary reason you are in college, and there will be times where it has to come second to your studies.
    • Work part-time if you need to (and if you can actually find a job!), but if you're having trouble keeping up with your academic work try and drop your hours.
    • Would agree with Red Alert about owning your own laptop, certain courses (Commerce and Computer Science) require them, and they really do make everyone's life easier.
    • The 46A and 145 are far quicker to get from UCD into town than the 10 is.
    • Do NOT play World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, DotA or anything else ridiculously addictive during term. It'll show in your GPA.
    • Food on campus is (in general) terrible and expensive, you can save a lot of money by bringing a packed lunch. This goes doubly if you're vegetarian or vegan.
    • The Americans call it the "freshman 15"... it's quite likely that you'll put on a bit of weight in 1st year. Try not to get too many bad habits early on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Chill out, dont worry, ask the stupid questions if you have to

Never use wikipedia, its essay suicide

Play for a superleague team

Dont be an asshole, dont be a subject snob eg I do medicine I am better than everyone

Be nice

Enjoy the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It has already being said, but to all you science students out there, GO TO LECTURES.

By going to them, you make life a hell of a lot easier come exam time. What's more from time to time, the lecturers might give you hints as to what is coming up on the exam. The only time you should skip a lecture, other than being sick etc., is if you are skipping it for a once in a life time event, such as dinner with a noble laureate. A concert is not once in a life time.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, go to your labs and tutorials. These are easy marks.

If you need help, ask. If you need help with a subject, ask the lecturer. They tend to be rather helpful and some of them can even be friendly!

Get invloved in at least one soc, if you get invloved enough you'll get rewarded with food and beer.

The SU does not know what is best all the time, nor are they right all the time. (Well, they are mostly left :P )

Enjoy yourself while ensuring that you are getting the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Difficult to come up with new things, so I'll just echo what has already been said:

(A lot of this are only applicable to Arts students)
    • Go to tutorials. Really. You'll now what essays you have for when, you'll know your tutor's name & email address, and you might get marks for attendance
    • Don't worry about asking people about things - this goes for everyone from other students, to librarians, to lecturers and so on. Generally they're very helpful
    • Don't worry too much about staying out late and then going to an early lecture - the afternoon is prime time for naps (that said, don't do it too often).
    • Get essays in on time. If you hand one in late, for the rest of the semester you'll be wondering why you didn't bother do it sooner.
    • My personal favourite foodery is the Grind - which is the sandwich bar in the Student Cente. Decent-ish sandwichs for €3.50 (I think).
    • Don't spend too much time in the Student Bar. They're very depressing places, really. You are very much entitled an 'end-of-day' pint after several lectures.
    • As someone else said, join the L&H and Law Soc - they get decent guests. Apart from that, societies are down to personal preference.
    • Don't annoy other people in lectures by talking loudly etc. The acoustics in lecture theatres tend to amplify voices -and, yes, everyone can hear you.
    • Laptops are very handy. Buy one if possible.
    • The SU Shop (under the library) is quite cheap. Cheap newspapers are handy if you've an hour or so to spare (€1 for the Irish Times, something like 50c for the Guardian).
    • First year is generally just about getting used to college/UCD. Amazing grades aren't really necessary. This changes in 2nd year.

Never use wikipedia, its essay suicide

+1,000,000.

You won't get away with it, you'll fail your essay, and you'll be held up as an example to the rest of your class.

EDIT: I'll also call upon Kurt Vonnegut:
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you have about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of -- God d**n it, babies, you’ve got to be kind.”

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

listen to el siglo..his a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Tom65 wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about staying out late and then going to an early lecture - the afternoon is prime time for naps (that said, don't do it too often).

Good place to nap for non-resident suggestions?

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Good place to nap for non-resident suggestions?

Be-friend a resident by any means possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Great topic guys, pickign up alot of useful tips :D

Just a few questions if i may...

Parking in campus, i take it you have to pay? And if so how much is it?

Is it worth my while joining the UCD gym? (I do gym quite a bit, but i don't want to be standing in a que for the squat rack every day)

Do UCD usually have deals with Dell for laptops?

And most importantly... for people who don't live on campus (Myself being from wicklow), where's the best place to crash after a night out other that the bushes?

The Gym is pretty big with a MASSIVE free weights room.
    Im pretty sure Dell have deals with UCD they did last year.http://ireland.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/events/ie/en/ucd_promo?c=ie&l=en&s=pad
    You do have to pay for parking not quite sure how much, finding a space could be a bigger problem!
    Crashing could be difficult if theres security on residences' gates

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd disagree on the Wikipedia thing. I had a lecturer tell me it's handy for quick revision purposes and I found that the case myself for my 2nd year exams when I had to cram like crazy. It definitely shouldn't be your first port of call but if you're stuck and need info fast, say with an exam due the following morning, I think it's useful.

Anyway good advice given on this thread and I'd add:
      Make the effort to have a bit of small talk with the person sitting next to you as you may be surprised how well you and him/her hit it off.
      Following on from above, make the effort to get contact details from those you hit it off with as some courses like Arts are BIG and you may not run into this person for a while if you don't.
      Snobs exist. Hopefully you aren't one. If you are, try to tone it down a bit.
      Join a few clubs and societies and give them a go for the first few weeks at least. It's a great way to meet people.
      Develop a healthy loathing of Trinity. It is an acceptable way to make you feel better about the place and bond with your colleagues. :pac:
      Don't expect much by way of scenery. You've basically joined Chernobyl with better air.
      If you're confused about something or get a bit lost, don't be afraid to ask someone for help. Everyone's been in your shoes at some point.
      Try to make your lectures on time (assuming you go that is). It can be embarrassing having to trudge down the steps of a busy lecture theatre when you're 20 minutes late.
      Remember the 10a and 46a don't go directly into the college, unlike the 10, so don't make a common mistake and stay on one of these buses and end up down in Stillorgan or somewhere.
      Don't be late for seminars. It looks bad and is even more embarrassing than being late for lectures. I know from experience.
      The library fines are ridiculously expensive (just my view, not meaning to open that can of worms ;)). Something we'll all agree on though is make sure to bring back your short loan books from the library on time or they will hit you hard with costly fines.
      Following on from this, try to borrow a book from the long loan section upstairs rather than the short loan section downstairs as while it might not be as quick or convenient as the short loan area, the fines aren't too bad and it's handier to have a book for more than just a few days.
      Touched on already but Arts cafe prices are a joke. Be prepared for this and perhaps seek out alternative places such as the Student centre shop.
      Try to show a bit of cop on. Yes your school days aren't that far gone and the world is your oyster, but a bit more common sense is expected of you so throwing a bottle at some chick's head or trying to ride on one of the swans might seem like a good idea but it probably isn't.
      Make the most of it. If you end up disappointed from the experience it's more than likely going to be your own fault.

Parking in campus, i take it you have to pay? And if so how much is it?

Some of it you have to pay for, others you don't. Make sure you know if you have to pay or not and DON'T park somewhere you are not meant to, you will get clamped.
    Is it worth my while joining the UCD gym? (I do gym quite a bit, but i don't want to be standing in a que for the squat rack every day)

Depends, if you use the gym go ahead. But if you are like me and can't stand paying for something you can do without, start running and doing puss ups!
    Do UCD usually have deals with Dell for laptops?

They do but I tend to find that the Dell outlet is a lot better value for money. Google it.
    And most importantly... for people who don't live on campus (Myself being from wicklow), where's the best place to crash after a night out other that the bushes?

Make friends with people who live near campus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The Gym is pretty big with a MASSIVE free weights room.
    Im pretty sure Dell have deals with UCD they did last year.http://ireland.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/events/ie/en/ucd_promo?c=ie&l=en&s=pad
    You do have to pay for parking not quite sure how much, finding a space could be a bigger problem!
    Crashing could be difficult if theres security on residences' gates

So i don't have to pay to join the UCD gym?

Dell aren't showing any deals atm... Will probably update soon i would say?

You have to pay for the gym. The gym is not UCD run

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some advice:
    • Don't Panic.
    • I'm one of those mature students mentioned earlier. You'll find us attending most lectures and sitting at the front, because if we're going to do this, we're going to do it properly, like a job. We're usually approachable, but if you want a straight answer, ask a straight question. We're not weird, or stupid: we just don't share your assumptions about life, the universe, and everything. :pac:
    • I agree with the advice about lectures: be on time, sit down, shut up, and listen. Any noise you make is disruptive to others who are trying to listen. If you don't want to be there, or don't think the lecture is worth listening to, then: don't be there, leave and do your talking somewhere else. This is not school, no-one else cares about your mere attendance.
    • Also re lectures: don't be afraid to sit at the front, especially in big lecture theatres. You're not there to be fashionable, you're there to hear the lecturer.
    • Do assignments etc. as soon as feasible, and get them out the way. Leaving things till the last minute is risky and can backfire badly.
    • re Wikipedia and other "secondary sources": I think it's OK to start there when doing research, but you can never stop there. Always go back to primary sources and cite your references. (See the Library web pages for citation standards.)
    • UCD Connect sometimes gets overloaded, but it's only a "portal" (front end), and you can usually bypass it and go direct to what you want. See this thread for details.
    • Take a shower before going in to lectures or libraries, please! :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

wise words. :pac:

Advertisement