Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bnt wrote: »
    Some advice: Take a shower before going in to lectures or libraries, please! :eek:
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fad wrote: »
    Good place to nap for non-resident suggestions?

I always sleep in the library. I just get a desk, fold my arms and sleep away. There are couches in the SU building and the arts block, they are good but nearly always full. The library is your main man. Also if you get an hour in and feel refreshed you can actually study as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

+1,000,000 on the advice so far folks, I wish I had something like this three years ago!:pac:
    Oh I've just remembered something, this is especially applicable for people doing arts (well the first point is anyway):
    • A degree is not a golden ticket into employment, it's a means of self improvement, it's a selfish act carried out to better ones' intellect. I don't know how many times I've heard: "Arts? What job will you get with that, teaching?" The fact of the matter is folks, a degree in anthropology or botany doesn't mean you're going to become either of these, it means you've developed a certain set of skill that can make you employable or better still capable of doing certain postgrad courses.
    • Just because you're in college, doesn't make you any better or any worse than everyone else, really this means: be humble, especially with the level of anti-intellectualism there is in this country, but also because I've seen far too many people from the country (I'm from Laois now) go to college and turn into pompous, arrogant fools. Whatever about developing an accent, developing a rotten personality is much worse.
    • Finally this is going to sound like a total cliché but anyway; university is an experience, whether you like it or loathe it. Open up your mind to everything and everyone, leave judging of people to judges you're in 'Colllidge' now!
    Remember:
    Learn to Enjoy and Enjoy to Learn!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Okay brain is hurting so i haven't read everyones lists but here are my two cents and someone who's idiotic enough to miss college like hell since she left.
    • Do go to lectures, not just to actually learn stuff but to meet classmates who'll be a godsend when you hit a roadblock with something (it will happen, but don't stress)
    • Don't just go to lectures, go to COLLEGE, that means get to know people, not just classmates, have fun, get involved in what you care about.
    • Be who you are, not who you think you should be. This is your one shot at University, there's 22,000 people there and people will accept you for who you are. College really is about finding yourself.
    • Remember you're in charge of your life here, noones gonna chase you. Get a decent diary or use google apps and put in your deadlines. That little bit of organisation will save you hours and stress in the long run.
    • If you come to UCD believe all Quinns are Abercrombie wearing jocks and dolls, Arts Students are lazy twats, Engineers are nerdy boys and every other stereotype you've ever heard about UCD then leave now, because it's really not like that at all.
    • Always know that Pat Patterson is the greatest UCD Alumnus ever, and no matter how much you try you will never match him. Also ladies, sorry you can't have his babies, I've taken him off the market :P
    • If' your'e gonna fail an exam, do it in first year, it's the best year to do it in.
    • If you think that way down the line you'll want to do research and want to get a scholarship for it don't fail exams.... (I learnt that the hard way)
    • Do stupid idiotic things, make a fool out of yourself at least once, fall asleep in a lecture (don't do what i did and do it in your lecturers eyeline), go to a Republic of Loose gig if they play (mental), go to the UCD Ball.
    • Turn up to a lecture/exam in a completely inappropriate outfit (preferably from the night before)
    • Do the walk of shame
    • If your'e in a small class try and avoid scoring anyone in the the class in the first few weeks - it's a common mistake and you'll regret it!
    • If you go on SU class rep training to not drink 2 litres of Red Bull in 48 hours (bad plan) and realise you will get about 4 hours sleep if your'e lucky...

And finally, the words my TY Co - ordinator told me some 7 years ago, and words I live by to this day; 'You get out of it what you put into it.'

My 4 years in college saw the Head of the School of Archaeology believe I was one of his students (I did radiography), help a new society get off the ground (join Radsoc, awesome people there), organise a Ball, meet some of my best friends through the SU, do some of the most mortifying things in the world, take on really stupid bets and lose and have my lecturers know hilarious things about me that they really shouldn't have been common knowledge.

To anyone doing Radiography Congrats, welcome to one of the best courses in UCD, you may not realise it now, but the 40 people you meet in a few weeks will become your second family and will know so much about you by the end of the 4 years it's shocking.

I think that's all the *wisdom* I can think of - hopefully some of that is vaguely useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dont take electives because they are easy. You will fail them unless you have no interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JoeyH

Great thread!!!

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Develop a healthy loathing of Trinity. It is an acceptable way to make you feel better about the place and bond with your colleagues. :pac:

Go to a colours rugby game,

Support the soccer/gaa/basketball teams.

Go to some of the comedy gigs

Go to your faculty ball

Don't piss off the R.A's

Don't post anything on this that is liable to get you in trouble with University Authorities

Have a great time

Don't post anything on this that is liable to get you in trouble with University Authorities

Or the Union :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

Buy a refill pad/notebook for each module. This way you'll have all the notes for one module together and in chronological order. No matter how organised you are about filling them into folders, writing notes on loose sheets will be a headwrecker come exam time!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

pepsi1234 wrote: »
    Buy a refill pad/notebook for each module. This way you'll have all the notes for one module together and in chronological order. No matter how organised you are about filling them into folders, writing notes on loose sheets will be a headwrecker come exam time!

+1 to that!

Also, when you find a pen you like, buy in bulk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Sringo

In regards to taking notes, would you guys recommend taking physical notes on paper or on a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sringo wrote: »
    In regards to taking notes, would you guys recommend taking physical notes on paper or on a laptop?

Both are fine really.

If you've got a laptop I'd recommend using it as with written notes you'll end up writing quite fast and when revising for exams months down the line it's tough figuring out what you wrote. Obviously with typed stuff that's not a problem. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Sringo

Both are fine really.

If you've got a laptop I'd recommend using it as with written notes you'll end up writing quite fast and when revising for exams months down the line it's tough figuring out what you wrote. Obviously with typed stuff that's not a problem. :cool:

Ah good. I had to buy a laptop for Commerce so I wouldn't want to see it go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Sringo wrote: »

Depends really on what type of note taker you are. If you just write down words, a laptop will be fine. However, if you need to note down equations, diagrams etc. paper and pen all the way.

IMO, pen and paper are much better than a laptop. After a while you start to develop your own shorthand. For example, + rather than and, or cutting parts of a word off, so concentration become conc.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

El Siglo wrote: »
    (especially the forum bar next to Quinn, the staff tend to be pretty sound in there).

??? either you spentno time or too much time there!!!!
    So i don't have to pay to join the UCD gym?

Dell aren't showing any deals atm... Will probably update soon i would say?

massive free weights room means a big room for 'free weights' ie not machine weights :D

so its a massive freeweights room you pay to use... capice?

Be nice to the ladies in copiprint and in the shop. Do not be nice to the bastards in 911.

jumbone wrote: »
    ??? either you spentno time or too much time there!!!!

Oh far too much time in there... unfortunately.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

" Be Excellent to each other"
    Sorry,had to.Thanks to all you old fogeys for the advice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Fad wrote: »
    Good place to nap for non-resident suggestions?
    I always sleep in the library. I just get a desk, fold my arms and sleep away. There are couches in the SU building and the arts block, they are good but nearly always full. The library is your main man. Also if you get an hour in and feel refreshed you can actually study as well.

This is true. If you're knackered and have an hour to spare, putting your head down in the library for a while can really help concentration. It's genuinely not laziness, just effective use of spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

Good thread.

1. remember why you're here - there will be so much to distract you it can be dangerous. Almost everyone in UCD knows someone who got too carried away with all the non-academic stuff and flunked out :O (and if you're not here for learning, please go somewhere else)
    2. get a tour of the library, and pay attention when you go. It's no fun having to learn your way around a couple of days before an assignment is due.
    3. Definitely don't rely on Wikipedia (or other online sources alone) for assignments. Lecturers like to see you using books and journals (you'll learn what these are soon enough).
    4. Get a diary and write everything in it. You might have a GCal or other online calendar, but its easier to update a physical diary when you're sitting in a lecture and the give a date for an essay.
    5. Learn how to take notes - try the Cornell method (google it)
    6. Don't write in or highlight library books - this can get annoying when eventually entire books are yellow and underlined
    7. Definitely make friends with people in your tutorials, I did this and they are my friends for life now!
    8. It's more than ok to ask questions of the lecturer (when they're finished the lecture!) or in your tutorial - lecturers like students to ask questions
    9. If a lecturer asks a question to a full lecture theatre, don't be afraid to volunteer an answer, even if it's a long shot. It will break the silence and make it less awkward for everyone :)
    10. Go to all your lectures, and read over the module schedule before your lecture, so you have an idea of the topic for the day.
    11. Library fines are horrible, especially for short loans. Bring everything back on time.
    12. Make an effort to keep your notes organized, it will help come exam time.
    13. If you have long gaps in your day between lectures, use the time wisely, go to the library, do your photocopying and reading - hit the bar after the last lecture of the day, not inbetween lectures. Sitting in a warm stuffy lecture hall is no fun after even just 2 or 3 pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Good thread.

3. Definitely don't rely on Wikipedia (or other online sources alone) for assignments. Lecturers like to see you using books and journals (you'll learn what these are soon enough).

5. Learn how to take notes - try the Cornell method (google it)

Link to Cornell Method Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

• Lecture attendance is a matter of choice, but at least make it to half of your lectures, they are really a waste of time and if I had known this I wouldn't have went to as many.

First bit of advice is to ignore this point. Lectures are definitely not a waste of time. They are where you find out what areas you need to cover, meet other students and get most of your tips for the assignments and the exams. A lot of lecturers (in my experience) had a very particular point of view and it pays to be very aware of this come exam time. The lecturer can give you a hell of a lot more than a student running your tutorial..

All other advice here seems fairly sound so all I will say is..

If you're doing Arts (depending on your subjects) you may find it lonely, impersonal and cold and you may want to drop out because of that. The solution is to TALK TO PEOPLE. You will be amazed at how many people are feeling exactly the same. You need to put yourself out there if you want to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

The clenliness of the toiletis directly proportionate to the floor it's on.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    First bit of advice is to ignore this point. Lectures are definitely not a waste of time.

Then you haven't been to a cultural geography lecture!;)
    Ah no I only made that point in jest, they are important but once you get into the swing of things, you'll know which lectures and at what times of the semester they are important for attending. Of course I can only speak for my course and not for say science, engineering etc... these courses require 100% attendance.
    Other than that, the rest of your post was spot on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Lets see if I remember anything about college....

1) Take decent notes (pen + paper ftw), or failing that, photocopy your mates decent notes.
    2) Go to most lectures (don't worry if you miss some), but go to *all* your tutorials/seminars - they are really useful.
    3) Join a small club or society - great for meeting people outside your class
    4) You'll probably want to chat to random people in your class at the start - for the first few weeks, I never sat beside the same person two days running (class was too big - never could find them). After a few weeks, you'll recognise a lot of faces...
    5) Cheap rolls in the SU shops are a good lunch, but the nice ones sell out fast - buy before 11am
    6) Enjoy your facilty day (sci-day ftw)
    7) Dress up and go to some college balls with your friends - once you leave college, you'll pay a lot of money to attend the same things...
    8) If you want something in admin, be nice to the people behind the desk - otherwise, they'll ignore you or bury you in red tape....
    9) Don't go mad with the grant money when your check arrives!!! It has to last until May!! (But have a few drinks on your local co-council...)

Thats about it....

3) Join a small club or society - great for meeting people outside your class

History Society FTW!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

History Society FTW!:D

The History Society is good. I was on the committee last year. I wont be on the committee again though.

The History Society is good. I was on the committee last year. I wont be on the committee again though.

I was on the team that won the quiz last year! Boo ya!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

errlloyd wrote: »
    Link to Cornell Method Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Notes
    Link to a programme that allows you to take Cornell notes on your computer
    http://notalon.sourceforge.net/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Oh I knew i'd forget something, not so much for UCD in particular but it might effect someone you know so spread it around.

Basically if you're borderline for receiving a grant (say 50/100e a month over the limit or so), if your parents can afford to, get them to put the money into a private pension.

The grant is means tested on your income, but crucially AFTER private pension contributions are taken out, so by doing so, borderline people may be able to qualify.

Particularly important in these recessionary times!

Advertisement