Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Bannana

Tom65 wrote: »
    You will see Hugh Brady twice in your years in UCD: orientation and graduation. And quite possibly not even then.

So make sure you cherish those two precious moments. Take a picture of him maybe and keep it in your wallet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

El Siglo wrote: »
    Learn a referencing system off or at least have a tab minimized showing how to reference.

Where would I find information on referencing systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

cue wrote: »

There is different referencing systems in a few different schools. They all have style sheets on their UCD pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

You'll get a style sheet as the above posted said, but you're style sheet won't cover all eventualities. Find a good website for whatever system your School requires you to use. They're all on the google.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Here's an excellent resourse for citing and referencing in the Harvard Style.
    Here's another excellent resource for citing and referencing in the Chicago Style.
    These are pretty much the main citation and referncing styles used in academia, there's little deviation from these styles, so try to get used to them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

El Siglo wrote: »
    Here's an excellent resourse for citing and referencing in the Harvard Style.
    Here's another excellent resource for citing and referencing in the Chicago Style.
    These are pretty much the main citation and referncing styles used in academia, there's little deviation from these styles, so try to get used to them now.

School of law uses OSCOLA
    http://www.competition-law.ox.ac.uk/published/oscola_2006.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Thought it might be worth bumping this thread for the incoming 'grunts'...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Another tip. Avoid if possible using the 17 because the bus is satan on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Another tip. Avoid if possible using the 17 because the bus is satan on wheels.

lol, i'll be relying very heavily on that bus this year, just my luck:P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

Rothmans wrote: »
    lol, i'll be relying very heavily on that bus this year, just my luck:P
    Yeah my beloved 17. You lose a bit of your soul everytime you ride the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

DO NOT fail 3 exams at xmas, costly and puts you under severe pressure at summer exams.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

JonB wrote: »
    Yeah my beloved 17. You lose a bit of your soul everytime you ride the bus.

lol. Maybe we'll be blessed with dry weather so that I can cycle most days. Not likely by we can always hope lol:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

I was planning on walking from Sydney Parade DART station every day, is that crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I was planning on walking from Sydney Parade DART station every day, is that crazy?

I did it everyday for two years its grand. Its quicker if you cross the traffic lights at the n11 and keep going straight up the residential road infront of you, there's an entrance to UCD at the top of it. Twenty minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

My checklist:

Superleague team, will do
    Support school teams, will do
    Avoid 17, can't do

I hate the 17!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Stay away from robot house

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bigred100 wrote: »
    I hate the 17!!!
    Ditto, worst bus EVER. It got really frustrating when I had classes in Blackrock as part of my masters and I had to rely on it to get to them.

Whereabouts are people getting the 17 from?

Kimmage Rd. West pour moi. Loooong journey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bigred100 wrote: »
    Kimmage Rd. West pour moi. Loooong journey :(
    Used to be Rathfarnham for me, after getting a 75 to there from Firhouse. So bloody glad I never have to get a 17 again. :pac:

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I get it at Crumlin Road or Kimmage stop near the church. Just don't miss the 17, Nothing worse than just seeing a 17 fly by when your just approaching the bus stop. Its a FML kind of moment times 10.

JonB wrote: »
    I get it at Crumlin Road or Kimmage stop near the church. Just don't miss the 17, Nothing worse than just seeing a 17 fly by when your just approaching the bus stop. Its a FML kind of moment times 10.

I know I've missed it plenty of times, just not for anything important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Do a lot of drinking and all your problems will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Im only 17 - what are the bars and clubs like? Strict at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

muffinz wrote: »

Don't think I've had to show my ID, apart from my student ID at the door the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

That's what I'm going to do for the most part as well. Its either that, or the 27x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

dyl10 wrote: »
    Don't think I've had to show my ID, apart from my student ID at the door the odd time.

So their not fussy? Want to try get out as much as possible to meet new people, hate to be turned away by some douche with a grin on his face:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Thats my plan too! Was only 15/20 mins max when I went for the open day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

muffinz wrote: »

Clubs in town will be strict and will nearly always ask for ID.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

My words of wisdom are few, but are as follows:

- go to all lectures, at least if you do nothing in them, you will know what you don't know(if you get me).

- The pool table closest the timecrisis arcade game area sometimes makes mistakes. I put 2 euro and 2 50 cents or something , trying to get 4 games for 3 euro(I think!) and ended up with 10 games or more. Use that table and use 50 cent coins, you might be lucky.

- If your watching movies or messing online, sit in the corner where people don't enter, at least that is more polite than playing miniclip games in the face of some one who has report due

- If your playing a game in a lecture, at least play one that is fun to watch for those behind you.

- Don't talk loudly in lectures, if you do , lotsa people will think your a jerk

That's all. Good luck

Also if you get emails about talks in your school , presentations by companies etc, go to them . If you are really lucky you may start talking to someone of importance in a company and could help you getting a job. Even saying you went to talks on SUBJECT during a job interview is good, shows you have interest in what you are studying.

Advertisement