Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Clubs in town will be strict and will nearly always ask for ID.
    Sad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

does it have to be student id?
    passport work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

muffinz wrote: »
    So their not fussy? Want to try get out as much as possible to meet new people, hate to be turned away by some douche with a grin on his face:rolleyes:
    Yeah, damn those douchey bouncers, keeping minors out of bars and preventing them from being shut down for the serving alcohol to minors, like they're paid to do. Damn them to hell.

Edit: Carrying on from 141089s point, if you feel the need to play games, watch movies or piss about in a lecture; Fuck off out of the lecture. Seriously. You're not paying attention to it, so why stay? You're just wasting everyones time and distracting people who actually give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

bigred100 wrote: »
    Whereabouts are people getting the 17 from?

Kimmage Rd. West pour moi. Loooong journey :(

Same here! Disaster when it's missed, or even worse, you got there ten minutes early than its leaving Rialto and it just doesnt show up
    dyl10 wrote: »
    Don't think I've had to show my ID, apart from my student ID at the door the odd time.

As far as I know your student card gets printed with your date of birth on it if you are under 18. You need to show your student id to get into any of the events run during the year so shiiiit one

Places in town are aslo quite strict, especially on student nights. I find the best bet is to go to the same place all the time and make friends with the bouncers

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

About ID and stuff for freshers week. Are there things going on in UCD like the freshers ball that you need to be over 18 for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Nothing really I can add that hasn't been said before except this:

-Don't be on boards.ie when you should be working on an assignment :P

YouthNovel wrote: »
    About ID and stuff for freshers week. Are there things going on in UCD like the freshers ball that you need to be over 18 for?

Freshers ball was in the Academy last year so ID is strict.

UCD Ents run gigs (bands/djs etc) in the student bar. For these you will need your student card or if you are signed in by another student, you will need an ID

Anything that sells alcohol will require you to be over 18

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Raphael wrote: »
    Edit: Carrying on from 141089s point, if you feel the need to play games, watch movies or piss about in a lecture; Fuck off out of the lecture. Seriously. You're not paying attention to it, so why stay? You're just wasting everyones time and distracting people who actually give a ****.
    +1

I really don't understand people like this. They obviously don't want to be there, so why go? When I don't want to be in a lecture I can always find something better to be doing, be it in the bar or the library. It is especially annoying in first year as it seems to take everyone several weeks to realise that no one is going to notice or care if they aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

ok..what are the following: -

a superleague team??
    l&h society?
    TKD?
    colours rugby team??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

pandas wrote: »
    ok..what are the following: -

a superleague team??
    l&h society?
    TKD?
    colours rugby team??

Superleague is basketball. UCD Marian.
    L&H is the literary and historical society.
    TKD is Tae Kwon Do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

TKD is Tae Kwon Do.

Which you should do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

L&H is the literary and historical society.
    :eek: no way!! omg. How embarrassing. I thought it was the Lesbian and Homosexual society (break away group for those not into the transgender thing?!)
    Pfft, I can join it now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

• Don't expect much by way of scenery. You've basically joined Chernobyl with better air.

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Biology students, name for animal div & evolution: Do the trout report, it's a pain in the hole, but just do it......

Science in general: Go to anything worth marks, you might think, ah sure it's only worth x% go to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Fad wrote: »
    Biology students, name for animal div & evolution: Do the trout report, it's a pain in the hole, but just do it......

Science in general: Go to anything worth marks, you might think, ah sure it's only worth x% go to it

Are they still doing that? I remember one of the lads I went to secondary with doing that report, that was four years ago... I feel old now!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

El Siglo wrote: »
    Are they still doing that? I remember one of the lads I went to secondary with doing that report, that was four years ago... I feel old now!:pac:

Yep, worth 35% too.

Still didn't do it >_>

And Passed :P

But seriously, it needs to be done >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

bnt wrote: »
    Some advice:
    • Don't Panic.
    • I'm one of those mature students mentioned earlier. You'll find us attending most lectures and sitting at the front, because if we're going to do this, we're going to do it properly, like a job. We're usually approachable, but if you want a straight answer, ask a straight question. We're not weird, or stupid: we just don't share your assumptions about life, the universe, and everything. :pac:
    Nice one to the Hitchhiker's reference :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

>>> Try to remember to return library books on time. You don't want to clock up fines especially if they are ''short loans'' or when ''superfines'' are in operation.

>>> Go in the doors that have IN written on them... and go out the doors that have OUT written on them. Quite a simple system really! (I'm afraid that some people do have to be told this!)

>>> Don't p*ss off the bus drivers on the number 10 bus. I kind of like the idea of being able to get home from UCD at night! Invaluable service.

>>> Avoid choosing modules that have 9am lectures. You won't make it to them. EVER!

>>> If you need any help WITH ANYTHING, go to the admin building and have a chat with the advisor's at the student desk. They are all pretty sound and will point you in the right direction no matter the issue is. Seriously, don't wonder about where to go or who to ask. If you don't know or are unsure, just go straight to them.

>>> Consider others when using the computers. Sometimes there is a rush to get assignments in on time and there is a scramble to print things off. If you are using Facebook or just fiddling around in general and notice somebody crapping about losing a percentage of their grade if they submit an assignment late, up your rear end and let them have access to the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yeahhh

Clubs in town will be strict and will nearly always ask for ID.

Does everyone go out in town? :rolleyes: I mean, i just rather south sideness.. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeahhh wrote: »
    Does everyone go out in town? :rolleyes: I mean, i just rather south sideness.. :pac:

Yes, it'll usually go something like this; Forum Bar, home, cans, buckfast/naggin, town, coppers/Palace/D2 etc... At least that's how the three years went when I was in Belfield.;)

I miss being an undergrad, things were so fucking simple.:pac:

Freshers ball was in the Academy last year so ID is strict.

UCD Ents run gigs (bands/djs etc) in the student bar. For these you will need your student card or if you are signed in by another student, you will need an ID
    Well my first year is going to suckkkk til January....

There are ways around it. Chances are you will get served in the student bar on a normal night with out ID. Its just when theres events on

Freshers ball is usually fairly **** anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Indie_92

There are ways around it. Chances are you will get served in the student bar on a normal night with out ID. Its just when theres events on

Freshers ball is usually fairly **** anyway

Will ucd student card do for freshers ball? or does it have to be actual id :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Indie_92 wrote: »
    Will ucd student card do for freshers ball? or does it have to be actual id :(

Actual ID since it is in the academy. It says on the poster on FB that you need Government ID

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

unknown13 wrote: »
    Actual ID since it is in Alchemy.

Is it not the Academy? Same applies either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

It sucks being 17 and going to uni..not 18 till March..gonna be a long year!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

frser32 wrote: »
    It sucks being 17 and going to uni..not 18 till March..gonna be a long year!:D
    In the same boat as you. It's pretty bad.

Folks going to uni at 17 is the best.;) Because how many people can say they have a degree at the age of 20/21? One of my lecturers started college when he was 16, can you imagine what that was like? My thesis supervisor was 24 when he finished his PhD (that was 12 years ago and he looks like Blue Peter presenter)!

So you might think it's shit now, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. I've been there, I couldn't get in anywhere till Christmas and even then that was only 21s on D'olier St. But I'm 21 finishing a masters, not too many people can say that in fairness.:pac:

• Advertisement

El Siglo wrote: »
    Folks going to uni at 17 is the best.;) Because how many people can say they have a degree at the age of 20/21? One of my lecturers started college when he was 16, can you imagine what that was like? My thesis supervisor was 24 when he finished his PhD (that was 12 years ago and he looks like Blue Peter presenter)!

So you might think it's shit now, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. I've been there, I couldn't get in anywhere till Christmas and even then that was only 21s on D'olier St. But I'm 21 finishing a masters, not too many people can say that in fairness.:pac:
    16? Holy crap!! I feel better now :pac:

Advertisement