Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

muffinz wrote: »
    16? Holy crap!! I feel better now :pac:

Good to hear!
    And that chap did a chemistry degree as well. The chap is a friggin genius though, same as the other fellow (Blue Peter chap). I mean you talk these lads and they're sound out but they're on a different level of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Its possible to create a new homepage on ucdconnect that shows your daily timetable, e-mail, library, and SIS link all on the one page instead of having to click through the horrible tab system they currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Its possible to create a new homepage on ucdconnect that shows your daily timetable, e-mail, library, and SIS link all on the one page instead of having to click through the horrible tab system they currently have.

Theres a customise button for the home page. Almost sure there is anyway, I'll check later:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

To ye people who aren't going to be 18 until March, I was in the same boat... you find ways around it: houseparties, non alcoholic events, heading to the student bar and hoping you don't get kicked out at 9....

Now some advice for incoming Engineers:

Engineering is pretty big and can seem daunting however you get to know/recognise most people pretty quickly.

If you have a lecture in Newstead, realise it takes a while to get there especially if you're strolling. Try not to always turn up twenty minutes late.

Do anything that has marks assigned to it. Even if it's only 5% do it. It all adds up.

Try not to fail anything. Well not after first year anyway, it gets messy with prerequisites and co requisites and repeats when you've lab reports. Just try your best not to do it.

Be nice to your peer mentor. They're trying to help, sometimes giving up their only free hour to hold a meeting. Also, if you need advice they'll be able to help or direct you to wear to go.

Befriend engineers in the years above you. When those tricky MATLAB assignments start happening in 2nd year, you''ll need all the help you can get!

That's all I can think of for first years at the moment. Oh yeah, don't be worried about looking like a loner, the orientation guides will be around and we'll make sure that at least people in your tour group are talking to you! Also, just stop one of us if you need any help at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Don't forget to visit UCD forum often!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Firstly, in the arts building on the ground as you walk in the main entrance just past the desk on the ground is the directions for the various buildings/departments in arts and a line that will lead you where to go. tutorials will be in somewhere like 108A and A will be written on the ground in green and a green line will lead all the way to the stairway. Very handy.

Some more points(in bullet form)
      Don't bother going to lectures tbh, waste of time. Most of the stuff will be on blackboard anyway. Do check blackboard regularly though for when assignments are coming up. Maybe go to the lectures a week before assignments for tips and obviously the last week of term but otherwise attendence doesn't matter. Like most freshers it will take you clowns awhile to realise your not in school and attendance isn't compulsory.
    • Do attend all tutorials. This is where it's at. You will usually be given 10% just for attending all your tutorials. Nothing worse then not attending tutorials and missing out on a D by a few % or even worse an E. Also the stuff you learn in tutorials will most likely feature heavily in end of semester exams. You'll also get better exam tips as well. Not only that but tutorials are a good way to make friends as classes only have about 15 people or so. Most lectures will be huge and you'll be doing well to see the same person twice.
    • Making friends... Sports club I think are the best way to do it. Some societies will be good, the smaller ones who meet but don't waste your time joining the big ones like L&H and Arts society if you want to meet people. Sports clubs are good because most clubs will have training at least twice a week so it's a set time where you will meet the same people twice ever week so it's much easier way to get chatting and make friends. As for having to be good or fit most sports clubs carter for people of all ability and don't care. It's college, people realise your main aim is to get drunk and have fun so it won't be a big deal so don't let that be a worry, especially if your a girl.
    • Arts students and lockers: Try and leave it late getting a locker, it increases your chances of getting one that isn't near the DramaSoc people. Not sure if you can ask for a number or spot, if so even better. Right down the back near where the Observer newspaper is a good spot, good distance long distance and two doors between that and Dramasoc. In general you'll want to avoid dramasoc as much as possible, and anyone who's a member of dramasoc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Firstly, in the arts building on the ground as you walk in the main entrance just past the desk on the ground is the directions for the various buildings/departments in arts and a line that will lead you where to go. tutorials will be in somewhere like 108A and A will be written on the ground in green and a green line will lead all the way to the stairway. Very handy.

Some more points(in bullet form)

• Don't bother going to lectures tbh, waste of time. Most of the stuff will be on blackboard anyway. Do check blackboard regularly though for when assignments are coming up. Maybe go to the lectures a week before assignments for tips and obviously the last week of term but otherwise attendence doesn't matter. Like most freshers it will take you clowns awhile to realise your not in school and attendance isn't compulsory.
    • Do attend all tutorials. This is where it's at. You will usually be given 10% just for attending all your tutorials. Nothing worse then not attending tutorials and missing out on a D by a few % or even worse an E. Also the stuff you learn in tutorials will most likely feature heavily in end of semester exams. You'll also get better exam tips as well. Not only that but tutorials are a good way to make friends as classes only have about 15 people or so. Most lectures will be huge and you'll be doing well to see the same person twice.
    • Making friends... Sports club I think are the best way to do it. Some societies will be good, the smaller ones who meet but don't waste your time joining the big ones like L&H and Arts society if you want to meet people. Sports clubs are good because most clubs will have training at least twice a week so it's a set time where you will meet the same people twice ever week so it's much easier way to get chatting and make friends. As for having to be good or fit most sports clubs carter for people of all ability and don't care. It's college, people realise your main aim is to get drunk and have fun so it won't be a big deal so don't let that be a worry, especially if your a girl.
    • Arts students and lockers: Try and leave it late getting a locker, it increases your chances of getting one that isn't near the DramaSoc people. Not sure if you can ask for a number or spot, if so even better. Right down the back near where the Observer newspaper is a good spot, good distance long distance and two doors between that and Dramasoc. In general you'll want to avoid dramasoc as much as possible, and anyone who's a member of dramasoc.

Why would you go to college if this is your attitude, why not just go on the dole and drink? Revolting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

You give arts students a bad name.

Also what's wrong with the DramSoc people..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Don't bother going to lectures tbh, waste of time. Most of the stuff will be on blackboard anyway. Do check blackboard regularly though for when assignments are coming up. Maybe go to the lectures a week before assignments for tips and obviously the last week of term but otherwise attendence doesn't matter. Like most freshers it will take you clowns awhile to realise your not in school and attendance isn't compulsory.

I wouldn't agree with this. I'm in arts, and several of my lecturers last year didn't put up notes on blackboard. Also, a lot of the time more than just what's in the notes is said. If you go into college with the view of lectures being a waste of time, I don't see why you'd bother going. Of course you're going to miss some for various reasons, but don't plan to miss them all, that's just idiotic, and you will obviously miss out on a lot. If you pay attention and take notes in lectures, then they will clearly not be a waste of time.

Why would you go to college if this is your attitude, why not just go on the dole and drink? Revolting post.

Being a first year Arts student is a lot like being on the dole. However when your a college student you get all the added perks of student nights out and lots of cheap drink in nightclubs. Being on the dole the chances are you'll just stay at home and drink which is no where near as much fun as drinking in the student bar all day or in a mates gaff who lives near college or on campus. The one downside is on the dole you get money, where as is college you spend it. If you can get a grant then even better, drinking money in the bag.
    You give arts students a bad name.

Also what's wrong with the DramSoc people..

Arts students already have a bad name. DramaSoc people can't seem to hold a conversation at a normal level, it seems to they need to shout over each other at all times.
    kateos2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this. I'm in arts, and several of my lecturers last year didn't put up notes on blackboard. Also, a lot of the time more than just what's in the notes is said. If you go into college with the view of lectures being a waste of time, I don't see why you'd bother going. Of course you're going to miss some for various reasons, but don't plan to miss them all, that's just idiotic, and you will obviously miss out on a lot. If you pay attention and take notes in lectures, then they will clearly not be a waste of time.

I did Economics, politics, Information studies and Geography last year. I think all the notes we're up on blackboard except one or two. All though, good point Kate. If you do have a class where the lecturer doesn't use blackboard your in a bind. If it has tutorials then chances are you won't be to badly off. I, like you Kate,took notes when I first started out, then I noticed that everything was up on blackboard. Considering most lecturers just read off from their notes then stick them up on blackboard I realised there was pretty much no point in me sitting there taking notes when I could do it whenever I wanted. I will say going to Quantitative economics lectures is worth it, because she does examples on the projector off hand that won't go on BB but all the other notes will be on BB.

In saying that if you have a big interest in a subject the attend the lectures. However last year in the lectures I went to at first there was about 20% of people taking notes, the rest just either stared blankly forward, talked, played on facebook etc. So much better off not going if you don't pay attention. As I said, it's not school and no one cares if you turn up.

A few more ideas for you little nippers...
      If you know what you want to major in already then you'll be forced to pick some subjects you probably don't like/have much interest in. Try and stick to classes in these areas that have no end of term exam and are just Continuous assesment based. This will be a lot easier and if you do well in your first two or so CA's then you won't even have to bother with the 3rd one cos you'll have already passed. Again, attend all tutorials Can't stress this one enough.
      Don't buy any books, complete waste of money. I wouldn't even get them second hand. They'll pressure you into it a bit but you won't use it much at all and they have copies in the library. Also most books are written by UCD lecturers so it's basically a nice little money making scheme they have going.
      Electives: I know what your thinking; pick easy ones? Wrong! You'll want to keep the really easy ones in reserve for second and third year because that when grades count towards your GPA. No point in picking a elective in first year that will give you an easy A when simply getting a D- is all you need. Also if you can get ones in stage 2 that are only for 1 hour each week it will be a big help for you time wise. Again look for CA based tutorials.

God speed little freshers. Don't forget the main aim of first year is to have as much fun as possible. Second year is when the work starts counting towards your degree, so first year is basically a freeroll. Aim for D's in all subjects and you'll get them no bother. UCD can look like such a grey despressing **** hole, especially if you don't know anyone in the place so join so societies and sports club and start attending from day 1 and do your best to stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

What the hell is wrong with Dramasoc people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

• Don't bother going to lectures tbh, waste of time. Most of the stuff will be on blackboard anyway. Do check blackboard regularly though for when assignments are coming up. Maybe go to the lectures a week before assignments for tips and obviously the last week of term but otherwise attendence doesn't matter. Like most freshers it will take you clowns awhile to realise your not in school and attendance isn't compulsory.

Everyone here seems to be disagreeing with these two points but I agree 100%. I got a 1st class honours undergrad degree and I'd say I attended at the very most 25% of my lectures in my final year. My advice to add on to the above would be:

a) As well as going to all tutorials go to the first lecture of the semester in every subject – you’ll get course outlines and be told key dates for assignments and anything you need to register for. Go to the last lecture of each subject too, you'll probably get some useful exam tips. Everything in-between can be skipped, between blackboard and wikipedia (and the recommended readings in final year) you can teach yourself almost anything in the humanities, law or non maths related business classes in a more time efficient manner than by going to lectures. Plus you'll get to do it at a time that doesnt interfere with your social life/sleep.

b) Make an attempt at every assignment – even if you only spend a day half-assing them and get Ds on them it’ll make passing your final exam a hell of a lot easier. Presuming a 50/50 continuous assessment/final exam split a couple of half days of work in the semester per class getting those Ds could mean the difference between going into the exam needing to get 80% to pass and 40% to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Students Unplugged, advice for first years (video):

http://www.ucd.ie/lifeatucd/2010/09SEPTEMBER/orientation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

For anyone under 18 I am not going to lie....IT SUCKS!!! I was 16 starting college and I dont remember one thing from first year! I have some memories from second year but it was really in third year I started enjoying student life! Your just going to have to make the most of it until you turn 18 and by the sounds of it none of ye have two years to wait like I did so count yourselves lucky!

As for attending lectures...the people that are on here saying "don't go to your lectures its a waste of time" are just being ridiculous to be honest! you can have a brilliant time in college go out all the time and really enjoy yourself and still make your lectures...I am not saying you should go to EVERY SINGLE LECTURE because god only knows I didn't but I just think people saying it is a waste of time to even bother going at all are not being realistic..Yes college is about partying and living your life and enjoying for new found freedom but that doesn't mean you have be stupid aswell!

I think there is a middle ground that's all!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Students Unplugged, advice for first years (video):

http://www.ucd.ie/lifeatucd/2010/09SEPTEMBER/orientation/
    Oh wow, that's already up? Kinda wish I hung around and said a few words...

I... WAIT-A-MINUTE!! Did she just divulge the information of the secret lakes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

kev9100 wrote: »

You should have seen their fake bar fight during freshers' week! :D (No really, it was in the bar!)

Oh btw, English and Politics should be in the same group so you should be able to take English instead of Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

kev9100 wrote: »

What isn't.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

So i got a guided tour on monday, and she mentioned 2 things in particular that she wasnt meant to mention to first years at all: Black mondays and fridays, and the secret lakes...

Anyone tell me any details at all or is it secret secret info?:pac:

So i got a guided tour on monday, and she mentioned 2 things in particular that she wasnt meant to mention to first years at all: Black mondays and fridays, and the secret lakes...

Black Mondays and Fridays: Basically on the first Monday and last friday of term people go drinking instead of classes. OMG super secret!111!!!11!!!

Not sure on the secret lakes, but like most things in UCD I've no doubt they're boring as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Black Mondays and Fridays: Basically on the first Monday and last friday of term people go drinking instead of classes. OMG super secret!111!!!11!!!

Not sure on the secret lakes, but like most things in UCD I've no doubt they're boring as ****.
    So is there any point in us going in on monday then other than drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yes, all the important stuff in your first lectures about how the course is broken down, when exams are, what books you should get, all that important shit people who decide to be fucking retards and get pissed on the first day of college miss out on.

Other than that, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The secret lake isn't very secret, its just in the woods behind the vet building...there you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Not so much lake, more pond.

I'm told SciFiSoc hold some pretty amazing battles in the woods dressed as all sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

The first and last day of term's drinking will be the best day/nights of your year, I'd really recommend you dont skip the student bar and go to your lectures. Of every single year I've spent in UCD I've had the best night out of them on either a first or last day of term.

If you want to be a bit nerdy about it (or are a final year student!) then you can still go to your lectures on the Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon, youre only gonna miss anything from 3pm onwards on the Monday and before 1pm on the Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Raphael wrote: »
    Yes, all the important stuff in your first lectures about how the course is broken down, when exams are, what books you should get, all that important shit people who decide to be fucking retards and get pissed on the first day of college miss out on.

Other than that, no.

For Arts and Law courses this stuff can be caught up on either on Blackboard or else in the next lecture. The first lecture is practically irrelevant for Arts and Law.
    Although, the way UCD has headed, lectures for those two courses are becoming less and less important. Go to the library and teach yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Not so much lake, more pond.

I'm told SciFiSoc hold some pretty amazing battles in the woods dressed as all sorts
    That's likely to have been someone talking about the Rubber Sword LRP at Retcon, which is an event (specifically a gaming convention) Gamesoc run once a year. Unless sci fi have really broadened their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Raphael wrote: »
    That's likely to have been someone talking about the Rubber Sword LRP at Retcon, which is an event (specifically a gaming convention) Gamesoc run once a year. Unless sci fi have really broadened their activities.

Could be, my 5th hand information may have been incorrect and once i posted it on the interweb it was almost definately wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

...watch out for older students giving you the boosh (AKA the flush) in your first week to initiate you !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Fad wrote: »
    Biology students, name for animal div & evolution: Do the trout report, it's a pain in the hole, but just do it......

Science in general: Go to anything worth marks, you might think, ah sure it's only worth x% go to it

Second that!
    Take it from someone who didn't do the trout assignment last year. Even if it looks like you can pass without it you'll only scrape it and it screws up your GPA royally which matters if you're going to compete for a place in a program with limited spaces.

It's boring, but do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

UCD Ents isn't anything as important as it makes itself out to be.

Advertisement