Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

About peer mentoring, is it really important to know them, or could I get away without being introduced to people in my peer group? I haven't had a change to meet my peer mentoring group because I arrived late on wednesday. If it is that important, would I be able to meet them tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

UCD Ents Student Union isn't anything as important as it makes itself out to be.

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Bump.

Considering the LC results will be out this week and the first round of offers the following week, thought it might useful to bump this thread and budgeting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

€4 euro cooked pizza in Centra
    €10 pitchers of Foster's in SU Bar
    Don't use the ground floor toilets in the Arts building for Barry White's
    Don't go to the gym between 11am and 6:30pm
    Play Super League
    Girls are easy

by super league what dya mean cause im thinking rugby:/

and are the girls really that easy bro? :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just enjoy your time in college and don't "sleep" your way through it, you'd be amazed at how quickly 3/4 years go by. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

brownlad wrote: »

Superleague is a Football (as in Soccer) astro-league, it's a great laugh.

If you are not picky, then yes relatively easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Man there are like 15,000 undergrads, 7500 girls, most of which are young, single, sexually active and away from home for the first time. Its pretty simple maths.

That said if you don't want to develop a rep stay away from your own course, and stay away from people involved in college life.

DL Saint wrote: »
    Superleague is a Football (as in Soccer) astro-league, it's a great laugh.

If you are not picky, then yes relatively easy ;)

when you say picky , i guess the chicks would be borderline mingers then ? :P

and i heard rugby players are adored by chix lol...being one myself i must ask is it true ? :P
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Man there are like 15,000 undergrads, 7500 girls, most of which are young, single, sexually active and away from home for the first time. Its pretty simple maths.

That said if you don't want to develop a rep stay away from your own course, and stay away from people involved in college life.

thanks bro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

s8n wrote: »
    ...watch out for older students giving you the boosh (AKA the flush) in your first week to initiate you !!!!

.. that doesnt happen

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah, they're fucking mad for it. You'll need feet like Johnny Sexton to avoid them all throwing themselves at you.

FFS

chill ..im only asking if it was true :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ah, the sweet stench of burning rubber ... or is it Chlamydia? Hard to tell sometimes ...

One more thing: after you create a document of any sort on the computer, make a backup. Or two. If you have only one copy of it, it doesn't really exist.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

when you say picky , i guess the chicks would be borderline mingers then ? :P

and i heard rugby players are adored by chix lol...being one myself i must ask is it true ? :P

Good looking guys with an athletic physique (backs / flankers mostly) are "adored", if you resemble Leo Cullen or Mike Ross on the other hand you're fairly fúcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

Being an international student, South African to be exact, tanned and fairly muscular will I find it easy with the ladies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

elixx wrote: »
    Being an international student, South African to be exact, tanned and fairly muscular will I find it easy with the ladies?

You'll blend right in with the lads outside the joyce library at lunch time i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

You'll blend right in with the lads outside the joyce library at lunch time i'm afraid.

I'm post grad so won't be on that campus but do elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ignore anyone who tells you that Abercrombie & Fitch clothes are fashionable. That particular ship sank some time in 2009. Ditto for Ugg Boots. A&F are too good for Jersey Shore, and have moved on to jeans for anorexics and thongs for 6-year-olds. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, chicks don't like post grads. They're poor you see, and chicks don't like poor people.
    We also don't like tanned muscular types with accents.
    Bring meh a pasty homegrown lad any day! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

- Wearing wordplay t-shirts will result in a score.

- If you're doing a language as a joint major or single major, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO ON ERASMUS. My biggest mistake of not going has cost me an extra semester in resits.

- Go on at least two trips with friends a year. Especially after Christmas in 1st year,bonds made can result in relationships and friendships for life or at best, a sex or score buddy.

- Stupid one due to common sense but don't leave assignments on the long finger. It will screw you over on more fronts than you think.

- Do at least one module during your time here than you never expected to do in the first place. e.g. I did Planning and realised I should have done it from the start instead of German. Easiest A I ever got and it was a 3rd year module.

- Become friends with lecturers if you're serious about furthering your studies in something. They'll be less stressful to deal with and might become a drinking buddy or even your peer, God save us. :D

- By the end of third year, every day will seem like a day you can show up to classes drunk. Not that I have experience in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

elixx wrote: »
    Your modesty will win them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I know its obvious but hand in assignments on time. I know they can be a pain in the arse when you have a good nights drinking ahead of you, but it will save you so much hassle in the long run. Even if you are only interested in passing, the better grade you'll get by handing it in on time will make the exams at the end of the semester much less painful as you should be going in with a decent mark behind you already.

Don't study or party to the extreme. Yes college is about having fun, but its not so fun when you fail 4 modules. Conversely, yes work as hard as is necessary to succeed but don't completely neglect the social side of things. You'll be missing out on a big part of college life if you do.

Ask questions! The amount of people who come on here, or who you hear outside the library in December, freaking out because they aren't sure what topics are meant to be covered, what the essay title is etc. If you're not sure about anything ask your lecturer, tutor, classmates, whoever might know. But do it at the time, not the day before the exam.

Try something new. Be it a new sport, language, activity, you'll put yourself out of your comfort zone and meet some new and different people in the process.

Use your own initiative and take responsibility for your education. College is not like school. You will not be spoon fed, or made get up in the morning, or hand in assignments on time, or have someone there to check you've paid your fees properly, or registered for your modules correctly. You are responsible for your own education, the staff are there to facilitate that learning, not force you to learn. If you care so will they, if you don't neither will they.

Have an awesome time, college is freakin amazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Don't hate 9am lectures. Instead, view them as a challenege that must and will be beaten! And to anyone doing second year history, all our core lectures are at 9.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

kev9100 wrote: »
    And to anyone doing second year history, all our core lectures are at 9.:(

tumblr_lpqojzCTM01qfqriw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Don't hate 9am lectures. Instead, view them as a challenege that must and will be beaten! And to anyone doing second year history, all our core lectures are at 9.:(
    :'(

*drops history* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Don't drop the soap...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

college.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Question: How quickly are the next few weeks going to go, and how quickly will I find myself in college. I'm so god damned excited after reading this thread. Sounds deadly.

Also, despite the whole issue with initiative, how difficult would college be with respects to the leaving cert? Obviously no one can say for certain considering the variety of different courses but on a general level, (Or science if anyone has experience with that) how difficult/easy would* it be?

*Unfortunately, a 35 point increase isn't off the charts so I'm going to have to keep using the conditional... Until Monday anyway, hopefully things will go my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Also, despite the whole issue with initiative, how difficult would college be with respects to the leaving cert? Obviously no one can say for certain considering the variety of different courses but on a general level, (Or science if anyone has experience with that) how difficult/easy would* it be?

Science is very difficult with respect to the LC. Unlike the LC, you need to understand what is going on rather than just remembering lectures etc. In the first semester of first year, about 75% of people will fail at least one module. You have to work at it. Trust me, I've just finished four year there!

Having said that, if you work at it, you will get good results. Biggest bit of advice, GO TO ALL YOUR LECTURES

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. . .Couple of questions, because I'm a green, innocent culchie off the back of a very quiet life about to descend on Dublin. . .
    Don't go to the gym between 11am and 6:30pm

Why?
    Don't use the ground floor toilets in the Arts building for Barry White's

. . .is there something I should know. . .

Red Alert wrote: »
    • Get to know someone who lives near the college

. . .same q!

Red Alert wrote: »
    There's often plenty of free-food and drink around, you just have to keep an eye open
    . . .any particulars I should watch out for?:D

Also, is there a Lidl or Aldi nearby? Any quiet spots on campus? and Any tips for 1st medicine?. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

[QUOTE=electrictrad;73897540
    Also, is there a Lidl or Aldi nearby? Any quiet spots on campus? and Any tips for 1st medicine?. . .[/QUOTE]

The secret lake is always a good place to have lunch!

• Advertisement

The secret lake is always a good place to have lunch!

wheres d secret lake ? :P

Advertisement