Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words of wisdom for freshers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Conor108 wrote: »
    college.jpg

I would suggest social life and good grades. You can sleep when you're overqualified and dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

That triangle should really be a square with a fourth corner called "fitness". Drinking 3 or 4 or more nights a week tends to take a rather horrific toll on the oul sporting prowess. Going back to playing rugby after taking a year off for some heavy heavy drinking in 2nd year of college was one of the more painful things in my life thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Blut2 wrote: »
    That triangle should really be a square with a fourth corner called "fitness". Drinking 3 or 4 or more nights a week tends to take a rather horrific toll on the oul sporting prowess. Going back to playing rugby after taking a year off for some heavy heavy drinking in 2nd year of college was one of the more painful things in my life thus far.

So true. And this is before taking into account all the late night takeaways and sh!tty processed food due to a lack of mother dearest!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Question: How quickly are the next few weeks going to go, and how quickly will I find myself in college. I'm so god damned excited after reading this thread. Sounds deadly.

Also, despite the whole issue with initiative, how difficult would college be with respects to the leaving cert? Obviously no one can say for certain considering the variety of different courses but on a general level, (Or science if anyone has experience with that) how difficult/easy would* it be?

*Unfortunately, a 35 point increase isn't off the charts so I'm going to have to keep using the conditional... Until Monday anyway, hopefully things will go my way.

Going to go really slowly until September 12th - (unless you have to move, in which case September 3rd) and then you'll be quickly run off your feet about how much great stuff is on offer and how much sh*te stuff has to be done. Lectures will start immediately on September 12th - and you will be advised to keep an eye on what's going down. Your first essays and the like will probably be due in early October - no big deal as long as you keep on top of it (which would be a good idea as that allows you to engage in sports and socs which will be taking on new members from September 19th).

Compared to LC?... biiit difficult to say as I don't know what you're planning to read, but you only have to pass first year (get >40% in most of your exams... you can fail two provided they aren't "core").. and even after first year there's not much point getting too stressed out about general crap. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

I'm only going into college this year, hopefully UCD science so thank for all the advice. Don't know if this tip is s**t or not but here goes:

If you lose your USB stick e-mail whatever you need printed to yourself. That way you should be able to access whatever you need printed from any computer.

Also a question, do we lectures on Black Monday or not? Seems like great craic but don't want to be left hanging when I have no clue what a lecturer (spelling?) is going on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

In 1st year (nearly every semester actually) your first day is gonna be your lecturers ****in on about random crap that doesn't matter, go on the piss mate ;)

Have no idea what your on about in your second paragraph though...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes, there's lectures on black Monday. I'd advise just joining the antics after your lectures - I just think missing lectures on the very first day isn't a good start :o

People will be queuing at the bar from about 2pm though!

On the bright side, often labs and tutorials don't start until the 2nd or 3rd week, so you won't have a 'complete' timetable, just lectures!

hkeane wrote: »
    I'm only going into college this year, hopefully UCD science so thank for all the advice. Don't know if this tip is s**t or not but here goes:

If you lose your USB stick e-mail whatever you need printed to yourself. That way you should be able to access whatever you need printed from any computer.

Also a question, do we lectures on Black Monday or not? Seems like great craic but don't want to be left hanging when I have no clue what a lecturer (spelling?) is going on about.

Lectures on Black Monday.

USB stick is not particularly important in terms of printing. I always e-mail myself **** - easy way to backup as well. You can print anything that is on your UCD hard-drive (accessible on any computer on campus... or even off campus via UCD Connect)... or you can print from your laptop if you install... whatever the thing is called (Ricoh?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

hkeane wrote: »

In first year the lecturers probably wont cover a whole lot, but I'd say that it's a very good idea to go to the first lectures in everything, lecturer will tell you everything you need to know RE assignments/assessments/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Oh also enjoying spending the odd 10 seconds confused when you type UCD into the address bar and Google decides you're a UC Davis student in Florida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Even though first year grades don't count for your final degree, they count if you want to go on an Erasmus! I was under the impression that I only needed to get over 3.08 GPA, but some courses are so competitive you'd need 3.5/3.6 upwards to have a chance! Wish I knew that in first year when I took it easy and thought "ah sure this year doesn't count!".

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    Even though first year grades don't count for your final degree, they count if you want to go on an Erasmus! I was under the impression that I only needed to get over 3.08 GPA, but some courses are so competitive you'd need 3.5/3.6 upwards to have a chance! Wish I knew that in first year when I took it easy and thought "ah sure this year doesn't count!".

Some employers will look at them too, they like to know if people are hard workers no matter when or just work when it matters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Erasmus thing above is very very important!

Basically, the only thing to worry about for the first few weeks is the social aspect. Make friends, as many as you can. Even if you cant remember their freakin' names, just talk to everyone and anyone because they are all ****ting a brick just like you. Dont become a forever alone student like me! I barely made any friends last year, only 1 good friend, because I was too frickin' shy and terrified that I would be judged as boring so i kept my mouth shut. Biggest regret of first year. Also, join socs and actually go to their meetings and social events. If you have noone to go with, go anyway. It will push you out of your safety zone, but you're going to have to get used to that because UCD is a big ass place. Talk to everyone, smile all the time so everyone thinks you're friendly and would be easy to talk to, ask people if they want to go for a pint or something after class if you're getting on well etc. Good luck to everyone new! :D

Also, avoid the Arts cafe, its ****ing overpriced. Go to the SU shop thats in the library. When you go in the main doors just keep walking straight and its to your right. They sell really good chicken pasta and whatnot for 2 euro ;) They also sell soup and rolls for cheap enough, amazing during winter when your freezing your tits off in the library.

BE CAREFUL of eating in the library. I used to do it all the time, until one day I decided to wrap my sandwiches in tin foil. Got caught by Librocop and was mortified. They say dont do it, but its grand, just dont place your feast out on the table. Hid it in a hat or under your scarf or something.. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Also, is there a Lidl or Aldi nearby? Any quiet spots on campus? and Any tips for 1st medicine?. . .

1st med or premed?
    Do 5 pages a night.
    Use pictures, write out things to remember things any memory techniques.
    Don't miss any kidney lectures if you mean 2nd year. EVER!
    And always remember if you can draw the molecular structure of anything your going too indepth. Great if you want to be a researcher but doctors don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

will dere be any jobs going on campus . for undergrads/1st years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

brownlad wrote: »
    will dere be any jobs going on campus . for undergrads/1st years?

not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

not a chance

may i ask why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

may i ask why?

Your best bet for a job would be in one of the SU shops or the Centra near Merville. I don't know about the SUs, but I think Centra are usually looking for people at the start of the year. The guys who work in centra are really lovely and it doesn't hurt to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

may i ask why?

Jobs are like gold dust, and a lot of it comes down to knowing the right people.

Also, if you're in Science or anything related give up now your lectures/tutorials/labs need to end two, three in the afternoon latest to have the slightest chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Orientation week starts in two days, might be a good time for a bump? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

._. wrote: »
    Orientation week starts in two days, might be a good time for a bump? :D

AHHHHH! :) Moving in to Belgrove tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Moving into Belgrove tomorrow evening. :D

Just back from doing a shop for the week, woo! FOOD! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

For lads, join the gaa, even if you dont want to play seriously, there are 3 freshers teams, all great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

My tip: Go to your orientation and get involved in the peer mentoring. It's a much easier way to meet people rather than the awkward 'hey' to the stranger on your left in a busy lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

what.to.do wrote: »
    Moving into Belgrove tomorrow evening. :D

Just back from doing a shop for the week, woo! FOOD! :D

High five :P Mammy got loads of food for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

1) When can you join clubs and societies, is it during the week of the 5th September?

2) What nighlink bus is best to take from Camden street to Blackrock area?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

elixx wrote: »
    1) When can you join clubs and societies, is it during the week of the 5th September?
    You can join clubs and socs during the second week of lectures, so between the 19th and 23rd of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jan shyr

Others will disagree on some points but I don't care.
    1)Week 1 is a not important in terms of lectures - nothing important ever takes during them so you can skip it.
    2)Do not join any socities or spot clubs unless you will actually participate (most of you who join never will). Having a wallet stuffed with some cards is silly. Regarding sport clubs, most of you who join will never show up or will drop after one class.
    3)Always attend anything that carries marks. Once good few of my classmates did not attent any of the 6 tutorials (6 hours in total) which were worth 20 percent in total. Very easy marks.
    4)Although people say attend lectures, if you find material easy in lectures or know it, then you might spend time doing something else instead of just day dreaming.
    5)Food is UCD is generally not good so you might start making your own lunches.

jan shyr wrote: »
    Others will disagree on some points but I don't care.
    1)Week 1 is a not importany in terms of lectures on never has been in my three years so far so you can skip it.
    2)Do not join any socities or spot clubs unless you will actually participate (most of you who join never will). Having a wallet stuffed with some cards is silly. Regarding sport clubs, most of you who join will never show up or will drop after one class.
    3)Always attend anything that carries marks. Once good few of my classmates did not attent any of the 6 tutorials (6 hours in total) which were worth 20 percent in total. Very easy marks.
    4)Although people say attend lectures, if you find material easy in lectures or know it, then you might spend time doing something else instead of just day dreaming.
    5)Food is UCD is generally not good so you might start making your own lunches.

I agree with 3). None of the others tho! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

elixx wrote: »

2) What nighlink bus is best to take from Camden street to Blackrock area?

1-No the week of the 11th I think, could even be the following week.

2-You can't get one from Camden Street to Blackrock even in the day. I suppose you could get the 46N or 7N but neither leave from that close to Camden Street, it's the guts of a 15-20 minute walk to where they leave from in town.

Advertisement