Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV repair

• 23-08-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

My Philips 28PW9616-05 has started to display rounded sides to the picture when turned on, it settles down after about 15-20 mins.
    This is a normal TV, not plasma or anything. The picture is fine other than the rounded sides.
    Easy fix or bin job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

And this is in the Computers & Technology forum because.....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

FredH3as wrote: »
    And this is in the Computers & Technology forum because.....:o

read your post again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mukki wrote: »
    read your post again

Just for a minute I was thinking that maybe a TV was NOT technological. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Maboza

In fairness to Fred this would be better placed in Home Entertainment

Wouldn't the Mods move this to HE if needs be?

Maybe I should just post it in there anyway to get a few replies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I've noticed all the replies so far have been off topic. One post would do for a forum switch if a mod wanted one.

As for on topic... i've never heard of that happening to a monitor over time. Perhaps you should just keep it on all the time or let it warm up. (bad quality?) Can you take a photo and upload it?

wolfric wrote: »
    I've noticed all the replies so far have been off topic. One post would do for a forum switch if a mod wanted one.

Good point Wolfric.
    wolfric wrote:
    As for on topic... i've never heard of that happening to a monitor over time. Perhaps you should just keep it on all the time or let it warm up. (bad quality?) Can you take a photo and upload it?

This is a lovely TV, albeit a little old. Great picture and sound.

Product Info here... Philips 28PW9616-05

I will take a pic tomorrow to show what I mean. It'll have to cool down over night.

Typical, turned it on this morning, ready to take a photo and it didn't do it. First time in two weeks. :rolleyes:
    I'll take one as soon as it happens again.

Finally got a pic of the curvature...

TVScreen.jpg?t=1253350360

Still straightens up after a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I see whats happening, you have been torturing your poor TV with repeats of the Scarecrow and Ms. King :D

Seriously though I have seen this before on older CRT pc monitors, but i was not an issue that just corrected it self, is there some kind of auto adjust that kicks in on the tv that corrects it maybe?

When i have seen this on monitors (actually it was a philips one too) I would go into the display setting of the monitor by pressing a button on the front , can't find a pic of the settings , but they where part of the image adjust and position settings

for lack of a pic here is a rough ex of what i mean: (_) or )_(
    you would then adjust these to the screen.

This is probably no help to you op sorry :o

Edit : had a quick google on this http://books.google.ie/books?id=a3CzoaCAFuUC&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=tv+picture+curved+at+the+sides&source=bl&ots=a19JEwPC1k&sig=xQiVqGyoSOg7veSDkYdFF_ndDMA&hl=en&ei=aqS0SoWTH8ec4gbyiph9&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=tv%20picture%20curved%20at%20the%20sides&f=false

see bow and arrow section, but many other places say similar things all point to a fault with the tv :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement