Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice Cream

• 23-08-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

So my girlfriend is about to kill me because I said she couldn't have the ice cream she wanted. All the Ben & Jerrys range seems to contain egg yolk and egg although it doesn't say if it was raw or cooked or what.

Am I right to say she can't have it or should I say sorry by buying a ton of it for her? :D

(I realise there is a few other ice cream ranges that have no egg/egg yolk in them but she is craving Ben & Jerrys) :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Eh.... go and buy your girlfriend multiple tubs of the stuff dude... Never done me any harm! Ice cream is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get her the Ice cream. If it contains eggs, all the better. Lidl plain vanilla is brilliant, actually made with proper ingredients and not chemicals. Even seems to have vanilla bean seeds in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The egg in bought icecream is pasteurised, it's safe to eat, lots of pregnant women crave (or just want :)) icecream, it's on special offer in Tesco, get her some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Eh.... go and buy your girlfriend multiple tubs of the stuff dude... Never done me any harm! Ice cream is fine.

I know most ice cream is fine, its raw eggs that aren't hence why i'm asking.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Get her the Ice cream. If it contains eggs, all the better. Lidl plain vanilla is brilliant, actually made with proper ingredients and not chemicals. Even seems to have vanilla bean seeds in it!

Once again the raw egg thing, pregnant women aren't meant to have any.
    Spadina wrote: »
    The egg in bought icecream is pasteurised, it's safe to eat, lots of pregnant women crave (or just want :)) icecream, it's on special offer in Tesco, get her some!

It doesn't say on their website or on the packaging although I have emailed them asking about if they are pasteurized or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I know that obviously you want to be sure before she eats some so by all means wait until you hear back from Ben & Jerry's but it's mainly home made ice cream that would pose a problem, or any home made foods.

In home baking raw eggs are used but most processed foods by large companies are safer in this instance as the eggs are pasteurised, for example, my mom makes home made mayonnaise, she would never offer this to a pregnant women as it contains very definite amounts of raw egg, whereas store bought mayonnaise would normally have pasteurised eggs, making it somewhat safer, although of course it's up to the pregnant woman herself.

Anyways, like I said, if you do decide to buy some, it's like half price in Tesco at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The ice cream you're advised to avoid in pregnancy is the whipped kind that comes out of a machine and the home made stuff with unpasteurised egg.

AFAIK if a product contains raw unpasteurised egg the packaging must state so (much like unpasteurised milk)

Ben and Jerry's is one of the better Ice Cream brands to have during pregnancy as it only contains natural ingredients. Ice Cream is also brilliant for morning sickness.

TBH, it's probably more unhealthy telling a pregnant woman what she can't eat. For you that is! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Not having a go OP but I think people take this whole what I can/can't eat thing waaaaaaaay too far!

Go get her the ice cream. It's not going to do her any harm. I ate bucket loads of the stuff when I was pregnant. Ice cream was the only craving I had :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I did a lot of investigations into ice cream when I was pregnant. The concern I had about Ben and JErry's was that they use corn syrup as their sweetener and carrageenan as well as hydrogenated oils.

So haagen daaz was my choice, I opted for the dark chocolate covered pops. [Pregnant women who eat dark chocolate have happier babies, said the midwife.]

It's not the eggs Id be worried about with B & Js.

I did a lot of investigations into ice cream when I was pregnant. The concern I had about Ben and JErry's was that they use corn syrup as their sweetener and carrageenan as well as hydrogenated oils.

So haagen daaz was my choice, I opted for the dark chocolate covered pops. [Pregnant women who eat dark chocolate have happier babies, said the midwife.]

It's not the eggs Id be worried about with B & Js.
    Almost everything sweet has corn syrup. Including the Haagen Daaz I just had a half hour ago.

That must be a new addition. I was pregnant three years ago and they were using pure sugar.

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=13

Apparantly still are. Check out the list for chocolate off their site. None for strawberry and vanilla either.

ANd yes it does seem that nearly everything has corn syrup... I know because Im allergic to it, but people are getting more aware of how bad it is and so now more products are being made without it.

• Advertisement

That must be a new addition. I was pregnant three years ago and they were using pure sugar.

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=13

Apparantly still are. Check out the list for chocolate off their site. None for strawberry and vanilla either.

ANd yes it does seem that nearly everything has corn syrup... I know because Im allergic to it, but people are getting more aware of how bad it is and so now more products are being made without it.

My husband is intolerant to it which is why I was reading the ingredients. It was the new sorbet and Ice Cream swirl one, it was in the ice cream part. I dunno what the story is there! Recently found brioche without it so that'll keep him happy! :)

http://www.haagendazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=158

You know what? You're right! I bet it's part of the fruit sorbet. I believe corn syrup is the shortened version of "high fructose corn syrup." Shame on haagen daaz for this.

Im guessing then they use it in their sorbets and not icecreams as part of the fruit sweetner. I bet they wont put sugar because they trust in the ignorance of dieters who wont eat sugar but havent got a clue about corn syrup. Most deceptive of them.

It was definitely under the ingredients for the ice cream bit as I told himself I'd spoon him out bits of sorbet if he wanted. The consistency was different to the normal ice cream they do too, it was soft straight out of the freezer.

They are trying to dupe the dieters who more often buy sorbet yougurty types of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

R0ot wrote: »
    I know most ice cream is fine, its raw eggs that aren't hence why i'm asking.

Once again the raw egg thing, pregnant women aren't meant to have any.

When was the last time you read a newspaper report of people getting sick from salmonella in factory made ice cream?

So you won't be allowing her to drive a car, be driven in a car or anything like that then, since the risk of being involved in an accident would be many orders of magnitude greater?

The sweetener in the ice cream I mentioned is glucose/fructose from wheat and it doesn't contain any egg anyway. It is the stuff in the blue oblong plastic tub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I agree with goawayattadat, people are taking things way too seriously. I know there are certain things that should be avoided like shell fish and soft cheese but a bit of ice-cream wont do any harm. Everything in moderation is fine. I've been eating ben and jerrys since its on sale in tescos and never even thought of looking at the ingrediants. I'd have myself driven nuts if I looked at what was in everything I ate. I know raw eggs are a big no no but I think ice cream is ok :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I remember looking up the whole salmonella issue and turns out it does not directly affect the baby. It can just get a mum-to-be sick.

So in this situation I think it is up to each woman to decide if she wants to take a (quite a small) risk.

All those "pregnant women are not allowed to eat this and that" does not mean certain death or illness to them or their baby. It just means increased risk of some condition. The irritating thing is that nobody tells you the size of the risk :rolleyes: so need to find out yourself and ask questions.

Personally, I'll be more worried about eating liver products - I managed to find out why they are a problem exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

The amount of misinformation out there regarding what pregnant women can and can't eat/can and can't do is mind boggling :rolleyes: I'm surprised you're still in one piece OP because if my OH had dictated to me what I could and couldn't eat while I was pregnant, he might now be missing a vital part of his anatomy:D I met someone who had a baby recently who gave up red meat during pregnancy as she thought it was dangerous for the baby :eek: She didn't believe me when I told her it was quite the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

R0ot wrote: »
    Am I right to say she can't have it or should I say sorry by buying a ton of it for her? :D

To be honest it's not really up to you do say she can't have ice cream if she wants it

Firstly, you really shouldn't be telling your wife she 'can't have ice cream' you have some cheek!

secondly, it wasn't that difficult to find the answer! http://www.benjerry.co.uk/faqs/faq.php?id=12

edit: sorry - just saw that this thread is a couple of months old - whoops!

• Advertisement
Advertisement