Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda - what to do??

Options
  • 23-08-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey
    Im bringing the other half to Drogheda in late Sept for his birthday.

Whats good / interesting to do in or around Drogheda?

Is it easy to get around? It'll be our 1st visit

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I heard that a cannon was being blasted off in the town this weekend.

Maybe with the rail line to Dublin severed at Malahide, Drogheda is reverting to a feral state?:eek::D

kizzabel wrote: »

Why? What did he do to you?

:p

Seriously though, that's a very, very odd choice of location you came up with. I can't really think of anything to do around Drogheda to be honest. :confused:

There's a lot of mediocre shops around, but nothing I can really think of in the way of activities to pass time (unless I've just never really heard of them?).

I'd love to know what you end up doing, or are considering doing (or what made you choose Drogheda in the first place) though. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hey

thanks!

Have a look here: http://www.drogheda.ie/
    You might find something of use for the day.
    As long as the rain stays away, there is always something to see in the town and surrounding area.

All the best. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

gl with that ballybunion is far better spot

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

oh gosh!
    i naively thought it would be better then the usual card!!
    tbh the hotel looks funky and anywhere that our kids arent (and his ruddy family) would be nice!
    if we spend the 2 days in the room without making a bottle or listenin to a 3 year old jibber jabber aimlessly it'll be bliss

• Advertisement

oh gosh!
    i naively thought it would be better then the usual card!!
    tbh the hotel looks funky and anywhere that our kids arent (and his ruddy family) would be nice!
    if we spend the 2 days in the room without making a bottle or listenin to a 3 year old jibber jabber aimlessly it'll be bliss

I agree but do it some where nice where you can go for a stroll and go with the flow,

but whatever you do enjoy its you and him love street n1

are the people friendly??
    any nice places to eat?
    im sure ill find a pub to get drunk enough in :D happy days

are the people friendly??
    any nice places to eat?
    im sure ill find a pub to get drunk enough in :D happy days

well if you like the tipple your sorted, just hold on to the crave to go to the bogs and get seasoned,

for your bnb or hotel best of luck I think yis will have a ball

TY
    lol i'll be the girl in the corner with knees clamped together for fear of the toilets :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

If you have a car and its a nice day head out to Newgrange, if you haven't seen it before its quite impressive. Check out McPhails or McHughs for live music too, decent bands there sometimes. Droghedas like anywhere else, the time you have is what you make it!

• Advertisement

TY
    lol i'll be the girl in the corner with knees clamped together for fear of the toilets :eek:

ok ill be looking for you, blue or brown eye liner

ummm neither!! black infact!

ummm neither!! black infact!

sweet you will stand out

fintonie wrote: »
    sweet you will stand out

is that berating the lovely drogheda lasses or am i behind the times? :eek:

brown or blue eye liner was a look last worn at a teenage disco and even then i was skeptical. i knew it wasnt a good look!!

is that berating the lovely drogheda lasses or am i behind the times? :eek:

brown or blue eye liner was a look last worn at a teenage disco and even then i was skeptical. i knew it wasnt a good look!!

blue red pink is the rage these days, it can look really good especially if you blink fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

go for a walk down by the river - thats always rosemantic!!
    game of pool in the whitworth,
    bowling in funtasia,
    there is loads to do if your lookin in the right places.
    drogheda.ie is great for restraunt reviews etc and seeing wahts on in the pubs.

have a good hol anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Theres lots of stuff to do if you look . Oldbridge house battle of the boyne site , mellifont abbey , beauli house , newgrange . Trad music down in carberys , covers bands in mc phails , mc hughs , decent bands up in the black bull . Lots of lovely places to eat (see other thread for details ) . Walks on the beach in termonfeckin , spin to clogherhead . Louth craft mart in laurence st , theatre in arts centre in stockwell st , little duke theatre , barlow house , boyne books have nice little gigs going on etc , etc , etc .

thanks a mill lads

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Newgrange, Beaulieu House and Mellifont Abbey are well worth a visit, but you need a car to get to these.

Rememebr - there's no train service from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

You don't need a car to visit Newgrange. You can get a bus from the station in town if you have no other mode of transport. It takes 10 minutes to the interpretive centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bmtannam

Hey

thanks!

When in Drogheda a daytrip to Dublin is the solution. :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Newgrange, Beaulieu House and Mellifont Abbey are well worth a visit, but you need a car to get to these.

Rememebr - there's no train service from Dublin.

what has getting to mellifont etc from Drogheda got to do with Dublin trains ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

The Boiled Onion for food. Mcphails for music, And make sure you go see THE HEAD:eek:

whats the head?!?

we're driving! think we'll check out newgrange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

St Oliver Plunkett's head in the church on West Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The creepy head is a must!!!!!!!

head.jpg

If you have the car your sorted OP , would really recommend come of the places mentioned already. At a guess your staying in the D hotel? In which case your right in the middle of town. Well worth a 5 minute walk up to the 'cup 'an saucer' - milmount, for it's view out over the town too.

thats freaky sh1t!!!
    we have the relics of a dead teenager in the cathedral in kilkenny, st victoria martyr and it frightens the bejebus outta kids

yeah staying in the d. is it nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

I've stayed in the D Hotel twice in the past year. It's lovely. If you don't have breakfast included, go around to Bru for the breakfast, sort of in the same building.
    Eastern Seaboard is a fabulous restaurant out the Dublin Road. Could walk it in 15 minutes, but we took a cab. Definitely need to book, probably at least a week in advance. And no, it's not just seafood. It's East-coast America style. Best Chicken wings I've tasted anywhere. Huge portions, lovely side dishes.
    The hotel is in the same building as Scotch Hall shopping Centre, very handy for having a browse. And then there's the Lawrence Shopping Centre up the town.
    You'll have plenty to do. If it's nice at all, head out to the sea.

Seeing as though you are driving, I would recommend taking a trip to Gormanstown beach, it's by far the nicest beach in the locality and is located 10 minutes outside of the town. You can just drive on and walk for miles, beautiful beach and scenery.

Dundalk greyhound/horse racing is another option depending on your taste, you can have a nice meal overlooking the racing, the food is good. Dundalk is only 15-20 minutes northbound on the M1.

Carlingford is also a nice place to visit during the day, my advice would be to travel northbound on the M1 towards Dundalk and continue on the road which forms into the A1 which runs into Newry, take the exit for Jonesboro and make your way past the Carrickdale hotel until you see a sign for Flagstaff in turn head for there and find your way to the viewing point which overlooks Newry and more beautifully - Carlingford Lough. I'll get a photo uploaded before the day is out. From here you can drive down into Carlingford, alternatively you can, firstly, cross into Newry and make your way to Warrenpoint and Rosstrevor which is a beautiful drive and in turn make your way back to Drogheda via Carlingford.

On a more lighter note, there's plenty of little treats to wander round and view in the town, Magdelene Tower, St Laurence's Gate, Millmount and don't leave without visiting Little Wembley

If you fancy a punt, there's about 50 million betting shops at your leisure

If all else fails log on here during your trip and I am sure we'll all meet you for a birthday bash :cool:

• Advertisement

Bru isn't in the same building as The D Hotel. If you want breakfast outside of The D then don't go anywhere else other than the black bull, it's about all it's good for. But I don't see any reason not to have breakfast in the hotel ?

I wouldn't go as far to say it's nice. It's standard with regards to hotels, they don't have a shower, well they do but only one in the bath, sadly they are 10 years behind the rest of the world, the rooms are clean, spacious enough although with very little decor, just plain and simple really in a kinda modern way, you may have one problem which I found very annoying which is that they put 2 beds together. I complained and the manager was kind enough to offer me an alternative room which I took but sadly the same problem was there too but in turn they brought along a box of chocolates and a bottle of Moet which was a nice touch. The staff are friendly, the location is prime although most likely you'll have to look out at the dirty boyne river each morning.

Advertisement