Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with Lawn

Options
  • 23-08-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'll stat off by saying that I'm not the most green fingered of people.

We have a lawn that is the bane of our lives. It is big enough at about 100 foot in length. No matter what we do we can't get rid og the clover and weeds.

We have raked out the entire lawn 5 times in the last 2 months. We have put down all sorts of lawn feed, weed killer, grass seed etc.

Try as we might there is still huge patches of clover. There seems to be layers of dead grass despite all the raking.

We're not into making gardening an artform but we would like a nice lawn.

What can we do to get rid of the clover and weeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Fit a scarifying blade to your mower this will remove all dead matter from your lawn and is much easier than raking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

according to G. Daly, the active ingredient for clover killing is mecoprop. I've been hand weeding clover for the last couple of months, a bit every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

tampopo wrote: »
    according to G. Daly, the active ingredient for clover killing is mecoprop. I've been hand weeding clover for the last couple of months, a bit every day.

You've been doing WHAT??!! I take it you've a very small lawn!

A bit like the OP, my lawn is overrun with clover. From a distance it looks a nice healthy deep green, but close up it's overtaken by thick clover leaves. Even the mower at a fairly low setting can't really get underneath it. I went to a garden centre which wasn't very helpful, but I'll look up that stuff you mentioned. Is there a particular time of the year for applying this clover-killer, and I assume the grass itself doesn't suffer? Like the OP, I'm no expert.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Grazon 90 will so out all your Clover trouble. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FarmerBrown

Duplosan (cmpp) is still slightly ahead of Grazon when it comes to killing clover and about a third of the price, in most cases it will need a second application about 2-3 months after the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My lawns total 180ftx120ft and I've hand weeded for the past 4 years. A little every day with a 2 prong fork and it gets to be lighter work every year. Hardly had to do more than a couple of hours this year.:)

Advertisement