Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu cooler

Options
  • 23-08-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Looking to up the cooling from the stock cooler ( Phenom x3), I have it at 3.2ghz now but will prob want to up that while keeping the noise down as much as possible. Any thoughts on the Xigmatek Darknight ? It looks handy enough in reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

helios12 wrote: »
    Looking to up the cooling from the stock cooler ( Phenom x3), I have it at 3.2ghz now but will prob want to up that while keeping the noise down as much as possible. Any thoughts on the Xigmatek Darknight ? It looks handy enough in reviews.
    What are the temps like at he mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Well with fans at 80%/70% in idle I'm getting around 30C, fans at 100% I'm in the mid to high 50's under load ( pretty much websurfing/general use and gaming respectively).

Price range for the cooler would top out around 40 quid.

Well with fans at 80%/70% in idle I'm getting around 30C, fans at 100% I'm in the mid to high 50's under load ( pretty much websurfing/general use and gaming respectively).

Price range for the cooler would top out around 40 quid.
    Temps aren't bad, presumably you want les noise though.

I think you should be able to get a xigmatek s1283 for under 30

Temps aren't bad, presumably you want les noise though.

I think you should be able to get a xigmatek s1283 for under 30

Yeah, if I can keep those temperatures while upping the cpu to 3.4/5 ghz and possibly reduce the noise a little then it is win win imo. I was looking at the s1283 as well, only just noticed the lower db! Keeping the noise down in places like this is a must considering the 4890 can be a loud little bugger!

Yeah, if I can keep those temperatures while upping the cpu to 3.4/5 ghz and possibly reduce the noise a little then it is win win imo. I was looking at the s1283 as well, only just noticed the lower db! Keeping the noise down in places like this is a must considering the 4890 can be a loud little bugger!

Which mobo are you using?

(next question being have you tried unlocking the 4th core)

• Advertisement

Which mobo are you using?

(next question being have you tried unlocking the 4th core)

Haha, tried the day it arrived! Sadly I think you need a 790fx to be in the ball park and I'm using the MSI 790gx g65:(. Tried setting ACC to 'auto' then 'all' but got nothing in Cpuz or the bios afterwards. Though, I'm new to all this so I could be misinformed.

Haha, tried the day it arrived! Sadly I think you need a 790fx to be in the ball park and I'm using the MSI 790gx g65:(. Tried setting ACC to 'auto' then 'all' but got nothing in Cpuz or the bios afterwards. Though, I'm new to all this so I could be misinformed.
    I was under the impression it was more dependabt on the southbridge. SB710 or 750

I was under the impression it was more dependabt on the southbridge. SB710 or 750

Well, if you could point me to some fresh instructions/info I'd be up for trying again and posting results here ;)

Well, if you could point me to some fresh instructions/info I'd be up for trying again and posting results here ;)

sorry mate I'm on the iPod at the mo, it's painful to do much more than string a post together! Google is you friend, what is the model of your mobo

Yeah, I did a day on Google already, there might be a beta for the motherboard that can do it but it seems unstable for the most part. Haven't given up yet anyway.

• Advertisement

Right, well it looks like I'm 'stuck' ordering from HWVS in order to split the cost of shipping with a mate and so I'm back to the Dark Knight, I suppose I could pick up a more silent fan for it in the future if it is really is that bad. Plus I could only find the Red Scorpion on Komplett and that means relying on An Post :rolleyes:

Right, well it looks like I'm 'stuck' ordering from HWVS in order to split the cost of shipping with a mate and so I'm back to the Dark Knight, I suppose I could pick up a more silent fan for it in the future if it is really is that bad. Plus I could only find the Red Scorpion on Komplett and that means relying on An Post :rolleyes:
    Hmmmm, if you're in dublin dublin sometime in the near future, you can pick it up from blanchardstown.

Advertisement