Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Usenet ~ How do you seperate the bad from the good??

• 23-08-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've subscribed to a usenet server and got the nzb client installed and working. Now how do I find all the good stuff to download? :)

I've tried a number of search engines and most of them return the same suggestions (very similar listings for my search params). I've downloaded samples of a few different movies but the quality of all them are pretty poor. Are there particular newsgroups with better content, restricted upload, etc. and therefore ensure the content is decent quality? Or is it a matter of finding a needle in the haystack?

In comparison, with torrents, there's usually comments under the torrent to indicate if it's good or bad. Anything similar with nzb's?

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

bman wrote: »
    Hi,

I've subscribed to a usenet server and got the nzb client installed and working. Now how do I find all the good stuff to download? :)

I've tried a number of search engines and most of them return the same suggestions (very similar listings for my search params). I've downloaded samples of a few different movies but the quality of all them are pretty poor. Are there particular newsgroups with better content, restricted upload, etc. and therefore ensure the content is decent quality? Or is it a matter of finding a needle in the haystack?

In comparison, with torrents, there's usually comments under the torrent to indicate if it's good or bad. Anything similar with nzb's?

Any advise appreciated.

I don't use it myself but this post might be helpful http://bit.ly/DZQ3f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Some posts will have comments but most don't. Check the attached NFO's for info too. Which indexing service are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Cheers for the replies lads.
    I don't use it myself but this post might be helpful http://bit.ly/DZQ3f

Will take a look at that site. Looks like there's loads of good info in there.
    funkyflea wrote: »
    Some posts will have comments but most don't. Check the attached NFO's for info too. Which indexing service are you using?

I've used newzleech.com and binsearch.info mostly so far, but I've tried a load. Can't see a whole lot of difference between the search engines, am I wrong?

Do the nfo's tell you much, given the uploader can say whatever they want in there anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Read that article. Only part referencing my particular problem:
    Searching takes some practice, but once you get a sense of how people name stuff 'round these parts, it's a breeze.

Guess I just need to "practice"!

Cheers for the link anyways.

Advertisement