Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have a plan

• 23-08-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone has a plan for if they bring in the tuition fees. As in it will be a couple of grand. :eek:
    I doubt i'm the only one who just point blank will not be able to afford to pay it which truly is horrible considering I, as I assume many have, gotten the course they truly wanted.

Will yous take out a loan or just drop out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CDJM

do u not qualify for a grant.....if so you can get all or part of fees paid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Hopefully only rich families will be forced to pay the full fees, hopefully a fair system will be put in place allowing you to continue your studies without too much cost.

Unfortunately the talk of deferred fees through taxation after qualification sounds extremely dodgy to me and will hit everyone and can only be bad for our economy over a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cuffesis

I can imagine that most peolpe wouldn't be able to afford to do it. And us turning to student loans? It's just going to incfreaseour debt further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Well, to take out loans you need jobs, so that's a no go.

A government funded loan, payable once / if you get a job is probably the fairest system for those who can't afford to pay the fees and that's probably what'll happen...

Luckily for me, i've got a grant this year (final year in this course), but next year if i stay on for an add on degree i'll be in trouble. Still don't think it'll be as severe as some make out though.

Government won't introduce blanket €3k or €4k fees per year for everyone and leave it at that... there will be grants / loan schemes / tax schemes etc... to look after those who genuinely can't afford it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

apply for a grant before 31st of august, everything will be sorted out then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

They cannot force full fees on us, but fees will be increased for sure, if this wasnt to be the case then 50%plus would have to drop out which would send leaving cert points downwards along with graduates the country would be in a mess and everyone looking at the government, but knowing them shower of w***s anything is possible unfortunately.

Advertisement