Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga On Sky This Season?

• 23-08-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Dose anybody know if Sky Sports has the rights to show La Liga next season? I can't see any listings for matches on the sky website or on sky epg & the season starts in less than a week?

I certainley wont be suscribing to Sky Sports anymore if they have lost the rights. Watching La Liga is all I ever really use it for these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

their contract ran out last year and Sky won't pay the asking price of £15 Million but they did that a few years ago and paid up at the last minute, i think it was Beckhams 1st season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What a complete bollocks surprise this is :mad:

edit: mon a last min deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I wqas planning to get it for a year for the Heineken Cup Rugby, La Liga and perhaps some Carling Cup matches. I shall have to rethink things if La Liga is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ESPN have supposed to picked up the rights

Headshot wrote: »
    ESPN have supposed to picked up the rights

Source?

otherwise that's pure speculation as I cant find anything concrete to back this up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Damn, i didn't know about this at all. Loved watching La Liga on Sky.

Auvers wrote: »
    Source?

otherwise that's pure speculation as I cant find anything concrete to back this up

A poster rang up sky about the la-liga and was told ESPN have all Spanish league coverage this season, and Sky will only have a small portion.

Headshot wrote: »
    A poster rang up sky about the la-liga and was told ESPN have all Spanish league coverage this season, and Sky will only have a small portion.

I find that hard to believe.

so they will tell something like that over the phone to some random punter but no press release or not even mention it on their site or anywhere on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Trampas

the question needs to be asked what benefit have sky in showing la liga since there is no english based players over there.

Trampas wrote: »
    the question needs to be asked what benefit have sky in showing la liga since there is no english based players over there.

Sky now lacks the European football coverage of its rival ESPN so I think if they loose the rights to a Liga to ESPN, its a slippery slope for Sky as the Americans have vast amounts of cash to take on Sky unlike Setanta.

oh as well as La liga being the best football league in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Beause most of the superstars of world football play there? El classico this year would surely be a huge draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Good riddance Guilleme Ballague!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Trampas

But Sky's bread and butter is the premiership.

As long as they have that they will survive.

Until that day they lose it then Sky Sports will be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Because its the best footballing league in the world where most teams actually try and play football instead of sticking 10 men behind the ball.
    I cant believe Sky havent secured this deal yet,£15m is buttons for 3 live matches each weekend,its not like they have anything better to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sky are promoting cricket like crazy recently so that's probably their priority. It was on Sky sports 1 today with the football on 2. I rarely even have SSN on anymore with all the cricket they promote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I loved watching it every sunday nite..So do ESPN defo have it????

I loved watching it every sunday nite..So do ESPN defo have it????

no one knows for sure yet

just rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Sky are promoting cricket like crazy recently so that's probably their priority. It was on Sky sports 1 today with the football on 2. I rarely even have SSN on anymore with all the cricket they promote.

The Ashes has always been massive over there tbf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

someone should tell Jermaine Pennant he's not English so... or did i read that wrong English based players :confused: um if your playing in Spain it would be pretty damn hard to be based in England imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

someone should tell Jermaine Pennant he's not English so... or did i read that wrong English based players :confused: um if your playing in Spain it would be pretty damn hard to be based in England imo

:pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D

Funniest thing ive read all day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Unearthly wrote: »
    The Ashes has always been massive over there tbf
    Not just the ashes though. I've heard more about English club cricket over the last couple of months than I've ever heard and I've watched about 1/10th of the amount of TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When I rang sky, th operator told me ESPN have the La Liga rights. That said, I checked their TV guide and Inter Vs AC is on at 7pm Saturday, no mention of La Liga.

gimmick wrote: »
    When I rang sky, th operator told me ESPN have the La Liga rights.

That is not true.
    The rights are still up for grabs.
    The only real contenders are Sky and ESPN and its doubtful whether ESPN have room in their schedule for it.
    But Sky's bread and butter is the premiership.
    Indeed,as far as Sky is concerned football doesnt exist outside the Premiership.
    Sky are promoting cricket like crazy recently so that's probably their priority.
    Does anyone actually go to the matches ?
    Any of the club matches have hardly anybody at the matches.

Its been a great summer though ,because its been an Ashes summer,ffs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

That is not true.
    The rights are still up for grabs.
    The only real contenders are Sky and ESPN and its doubtful whether ESPN have room in their schedule for it.

Indeed,as far as Sky is concerned football doesnt exist outside the Premiership.

Does anyone actually go to the matches ?
    Any of the club matches have hardly anybody at the matches.

Its been a great summer though ,because its been an Ashes summer,ffs:rolleyes:

is sky's main customer base not english and with no big name British based player in La Liga surely they are better off with the cricket viewer and financial wise?
    I find it hilarious that because we in Ireland dont get Cricket we find it odd that Sky have pumped lots of money into it.Its not like its a mainstay of every British sports section,Satellite tv,5Live or anything,silly little game

raven136 wrote: »
    is sky's main customer base not english and with no big name British based player in La Liga surely they are better off with the cricket viewer and financial wise?
    I find it hilarious that because we in Ireland dont get Cricket we find it odd that Sky have pumped lots of money into it.Its not like its a mainstay of every British sports section,Satellite tv,5Live or anything,silly little game

I take your point but the Cricket season is nearly over while La Liga has yet to begin.
    Cricket is mostly a summer sport .
    I am not knocking Cricket,I watch it myself ,but the attendances in England at alot of matches are dreadful.
    £15m for La Liga is buttons to Sky,thats 4 Super Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

raven136 wrote: »

I guarantee you that Kaka, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Arbeloa, and Alonso will generate more interest in La Liga among English people than if ANY English player moved to Spain. They've been flaunting about how the EPL consistently has the best players in the world, they'd be stupid not to cash in on La Liga with the new galacticos era coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

eZe^ wrote: »
    I guarantee you that Kaka, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Arbeloa, and Alonso will generate more interest in La Liga among English people than if ANY English player moved to Spain. They've been flaunting about how the EPL consistently has the best players in the world, they'd be stupid not to cash in on La Liga with the new galacticos era coming up.

Even as a Liverpool fan I had to laugh when I saw Arbeloa among those names you mentioned. He wouldn't really draw much of a crowd compared to Messi, Ron and Ibra, not to mention David Villa.

But you're right about the interest La Liga will generate now. Some big, big names have moved to Spain this summer and right now La Liga could be seen as a bigger draw than the Premiership.

I used to love watching La Liga on a Saturday/Sunday night and will be rather lost without it. Hope there's a good streaming site available for when it all kicks off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

I take your point but the Cricket season is nearly over while La Liga has yet to begin.

The cricket season ends??????:eek: that christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I used to love watching La Liga on a Saturday/Sunday night and will be rather lost without it. Hope there's a good streaming site available for when it all kicks off

To be honest, I probably ended up watching more La Liga last year than the premiership. Probably as much down to the timings of the games as much as anything else. Think if they lose the rights, I might consider stopping my subscription. (I've been thinking about it for a while anyhow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I checked next weekend's TV listings on the Sky Guide and no La Liga match on anywhere. ESPN won't have the airtime for it now that they have Serie A whose games are on at more or less the same time as Spain (unless they screen them on ESPN Classic?). WTF are Sky at - this year is the best yet with the biggest names in the world playing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Warper wrote: »
    I checked next weekend's TV listings on the Sky Guide and no La Liga match on anywhere. ESPN won't have the airtime for it now that they have Serie A whose games are on at more or less the same time as Spain (unless they screen them on ESPN Classic?). WTF are Sky at - this year is the best yet with the biggest names in the world playing there.

That doesn't sound good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think Sky really get the viewers you might think they would for La Liga.

ESPN could easily snap it up but they'd need to start a new channel, ESPN 2 or whatever. I'm not sure how easy it is to just do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Because its the best footballing league in the world where most teams actually try and play football instead of sticking 10 men behind the ball.
    I cant believe Sky havent secured this deal yet,£15m is buttons for 3 live matches each weekend,its not like they have anything better to show.

Actually 15 million is a ridiculous price,for the last deal it was 10m or so and that was inflated because of intense competition for rights for Setanta. Look at Serie A last year, they priced themselves out of selling rights. Now ESPN are a competitor in name only. Look at how they divied up the SPL for a seriousely cut price deal, ESPN and Sky are being smart.

Firstly Sky know ESPN are way bigger fish than Setanta are and can take a few years of losses but will challenge Sky in 3/4 years for big Premier League games.

Secondly ESPN know that with them having only 23 PL games from 2010 to 2013 they need other football, La Liga is a decent fit(if it wasn't for ESPN having just one channel).

Sky take a decent portion of all ESPN subs on their platform, it is in their interests for ESPN to have more subscribers. How many people will cancel Sky because of a lack of La Liga? Very few I'd imagine, however, more will get if ESPN have it I'd imagine.

I reckon we'll see the games split between the two at a knockdown price. ESPN don't have room in their schedule for lots of La Liga condsidreing they have Serie A, Bundesliga et al. Sky, however do on Sunday nights. The rest of their football is stacked with the Spl now showing on Sundays. They have nothing on Sunday nights with the NFL rights not sorted either. I reckon-ESPN get Saturday/early Sunday games and Sky the Sunday night ones with Revista staying on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd piss my pants if Setanta got the rights :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

cm2000 wrote: »
    The cricket season ends??????:eek: that christ!

Well the International's never really stop, it's a Summer sport and the advantage of having big teams from the southern hemisphere playing it is that once our Summer ends, their's starts :pac:

Somebody, Sky or ESPN better buy them rights..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If Sky don't have the rights, it's because they are allowing ESPN to have them.

Sky & ESPN have a very friendly working relationship, and I doubt Sky want to see the back of them like they did with Setanta. Murdoch's companies and ESPN have always done good business together.

Anyways, what pisses me off about the La Liga coverage is the picture quality. Whoever in Spain looks after the international feed, they'd need to seriously get their act together. Seriously, EPL games on Justin look better than that crap.

Sky have the rights it seems. Check your Sky planner for the weekend.

The only source I have is Gerry Armstrongs Twiiter . Apparently it is in the sky planner as well, but nada on the only guide.

Sky have the rights it seems. Check your Sky planner for the weekend.

I checked the Guide last night and there was nothing about La Liga on any of their 4 sports channels.

Well check it again. I am told it shows La Liga games for this weekend, including Sevilla Vs Valencia, the Real game and whoever Tenerife are playing.

Well check it again. I am told it shows La Liga games for this weekend, including Sevilla Vs Valencia, the Real game and whoever Tenerife are playing.

Just checked it online and diddly squat about La Liga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

They haven't fully sorted out the rights for the domestic spanish tv stations yet either so don't panic. There's a whole drama going on between the owners of Canal+ Spain and another company that's launching a pay digital channel but won't have any decoders in the shops until the second half of september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Gerry Armstrong on his Twitter page says Sky have signed a three year deal.
    http://twitter.com/gerryarmstrong

The only source I have is Gerry Armstrongs Twiiter

:cool: but Gerry better not be bulsh1tting

but then again why would he

Auvers wrote: »
    :cool: but Gerry better not be bulsh1tting

but then again why would he

Gerry Armstrong can do whatever the hell he wants. He answers to no-one but God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

SSN have it as breaking news that Sky have signed a new 3 yr exclusive deal to show La Liga.

Madrid and Barca both to be shown opening weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just on the breaking news bar on Sky Sports News that Sky have it for next 3 seasons

Great news. Barca twice over the next few days so - Euro Super Cup Friday, and against Gijon Monday.

Throw your season predictions in the La Liga superthread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Great stuff, super Saturday evening/Sunday evening viewing.

Warper wrote: »
    Gerry Armstrong can do whatever the hell he wants. He answers to no-one but God.

I wish his contract wasnt renewed ,he is a dreadful commentator.
    Recites the same cliched statements over and over again.
    "Power and Pace" "Skill and Technique" "For Me".
    Looking forward to Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I wish his contract wasnt renewed ,he is a dreadful commentator.
    Recites the same cliched statements over and over again.
    "Power and Pace" "Skill and Technique" "For Me".
    Looking forward to Saturday.

I actually prefer him to most commentators/analysts, at least he knows (or at least shows he knows) a lot about the league and different players coming through etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement