Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a good restaurant

Options
  • 23-08-2009 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

hi,
    can anyone please recommend a nice restaurant in dublin where if possible you can buy vouchers for online???? need to buy some as a present but can't call in as i'm in cork.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Talbot 101
    The Mermaid

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Depends what you're after, not sure about the vouchers.

Taste of India, Parliament Street (Indian - obviously)
    Noble House, Dame Street (Chinese)
    Yamamori Noodles, Georges Street (Japanese)
    Little Caesars, Harcourt Street (Italian)
    Joels, Naas Road (Irish, General)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Hey Colm, was in Talbot 101 a while ago and was pretty disappointed with the food, did I just get a bad night? It used to be great.

OP, I'd say most places will do online or over the phone vouchers, what type of money are you thinking of spending? Hopefully people will point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭bungaro

lightening wrote: »
    Hey Colm, was in Talbot 101 a while ago and was pretty disappointed with the food, did I just get a bad night? It used to be great.

OP, I'd say most places will do online or over the phone vouchers, what type of money are you thinking of spending? Hopefully people will point you in the right direction.

you're spot on lightening but i literally have no idea of any names up there so i'm going to check out every one mentioned here!!

cheers for the suggestions so far everyone

The Winding Stairs is lovely, Peploes is good and "Posh", Chapter one is amazing but pricey unless you go for the pre-theater menu, Bar Pintxo is great value, Chez Max is classic and very French, I will think of more later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Talbot 101 is generally very good and decent enough value too. I've never had a bad meal in there.

Try looking up http://www.menupages.ie for some ideas OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Joels, Naas Road (Irish, General)

Joels is the best but I don't know if you can buy vouchers, you can't make a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Noble House, Dame Street (Chinese)

Agree, this was a lovely place. Was there a couple of weeks ago and would go back any time.

Joels is the best but I don't know if you can buy vouchers, you can't make a reservation.

Seriously? I walked in there a while back and walked straight back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

waraf wrote: »
    Seriously? I walked in there a

while back and walked straight back out.

What???!:eek::eek::eek:

Why on Earth?!!!

Did you try the food first? Did you witness the generous portions? Did you speak to any staff? Did you order any drinks?

Why did you walk in, look around and then walk out??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

The Winding Stairs is lovely, Peploes is good and "Posh", Chapter one is amazing but pricey unless you go for the pre-theater menu, Bar Pintxo is great value, Chez Max is classic and very French, I will think of more later.

been to bar pintxo and i think it is neither great value or good food - i thought the food was disgusting......

Why did you walk in, look around and then walk out??!

It looked like a bit of a kip to be honest, like a canteen in work. I know it's judging a book by it's cover but it really did look cheap and nasty.

We went to the hotel beside it instead and had a lovely lunch in much nicer surroundings.

been to bar pintxo and i think it is neither great value or good food - i thought the food was disgusting......

Tapas is not for everyone. Did you find it too oily? A mate of mine finds Pintxo's tapas very oily, I like it though.

Tapas is not for everyone. Did you find it too oily? A mate of mine finds Pintxo's tapas very oily, I like it though.
    I love tapas - and im not a stranger to it either , i have travelled all around spain and lived there also - i thought the food was badly cooked and tasted like it had been sitting around for days - i brought a spainish friend there and i was honnestly embarrased at how bad it was.

I love tapas - and im not a stranger to it either , i have travelled all around spain and lived there also - i thought the food was badly cooked and tasted like it had been sitting around for days - i brought a spainish friend there and i was honnestly embarrased at how bad it was.

Ah, don't be embarrassed! That's gas, Spanish friends took me to Pintxos! They love it, you must have got a bad day or something.

Ah, don't be embarrassed! That's gas, Spanish friends took me to Pintxos! They love it, you must have got a bad day or something.

could have been a bad day but it would have been a very bad one and i wont be returning.

could have been a bad day but it would have been a very bad one and i wont be returning.

Good man, I hope you complained.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I really like Pinxtos' kissing cousin The Porthouse but I have had a 'miss' night there twice. Still went back, and still will, but it can happen in there alright. The consistancey in food quality isn't always matched by its ambience and wine list consistancey.

+1 for Che Max but would be v. surprised if they were geared up for vouchers.

Advertisement