Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Dublin Airport

• 23-08-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys look for some help here I have to go and pick someone up in Dublin airport next saturday night at 8 pm which is the best way to drive up

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

The N11 & N30 via Wicklow and Gorey is a better road when it's dark (except the N30 section). You might find yourself going up on the N9/N7/M50 and returning on the M50/M11/N11/N30/N25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The N11 & N30 via Wicklow and Gorey is a better road when it's dark (except the N30 section). You might find yourself going up on the N9/N7/M50 and returning on the M50/M11/N11/N30/N25.

Yep.

Drive to New Ross, then to Enniscorthy, via Clonroche, and up the N11. Great road, handy out. Nearly all motorway from Gorey bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Yep.

Drive to New Ross, then to Enniscorthy, via Clonroche, and up the N11. Great road, handy out. Nearly all motorway from Gorey bypass.

when did they finish the gorey bypass ???, does it make much of a difference timewise to your journey.

the drive from waterford to enniscorthy is a bit of a pain but from there to dublin is wayy better !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jimmay!

coast road is defo the better road but its a bit of longer trek then up through carlow direction. I'd say its 15 mins longer anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Gorey opened nearly 2 years ago!

OP, expect the cops to be doing speed checks even at midnight. I got nabbed at 5.30am a few weeks ago on a run to Cork :mad: They're always on the Carlow bypass as well, even at 3am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

jimmay! wrote: »
    coast road is defo the better road but its a bit of longer trek then up through carlow direction. I'd say its 15 mins longer anyway

It is longer and if both roads were clear it might make sense to go through Carlow.

But coast road is way better and gets you there quicker and easier (driving wise, late at night) than via Carlow.

Plus if you get stuck behind traffic on the way to Carlow it's a nightmare, feck all you can do.

Ya, Gorey bypass open a couple of years now, made a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

wellbutty wrote: »

OP, expect the cops to be doing speed checks even at midnight. I got nabbed at 5.30am a few weeks ago on a run to Cork :mad: They're always on the Carlow bypass as well, even at 3am

have they not got some doughnuts to be eating at the hour of the night , fecking speed checks at 3am :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

wellbutty wrote: »

Was this at Kilmeaden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Anyone done this recently with the new traffic restrictions? How long did it take? I've a 3.15 flight on Thurs, considering taking the Rapid Express to the airport which the schedule says will take 4hrs-is this accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

googlefan wrote: »
    Anyone done this recently with the new traffic restrictions? How long did it take? I've a 3.15 flight on Thurs, considering taking the Rapid Express to the airport which the schedule says will take 4hrs-is this accurate?

I came back from the airport last night and I was stuck in traffic around the M50 (roadworks) for around 20 mins This was at 11.30 at night.
    On the way up the week before we were stuck for around 40 mins around the same area (other side obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I 've done the trip twice this month and from the Airport to the bridge in Waterford it took 2hrs 15min each time,and thats with taking it handy,speed limits etc, the first trip I left the Airport at 6pm on a Saturday and the 2nd trip left at 1030pm midweek.

There definetly seems to be a big reduction in truck traffic on the road,it was a pretty clear run the whole way down.
    I came back from the airport last night and I was stuck in traffic around the M50 (roadworks) for around 20 mins This was at 11.30 at night.
    On the way up the week before we were stuck for around 40 mins around the same area (other side obviously).

Those lane closures seem to begin around 23:00 each night or thereabouts.They reduce to traffic to one lane overnight and its closing the lanes that causes everything to stop.
    I've a 3.15 flight on Thurs, considering taking the Rapid Express to the airport which the schedule says will take 4hrs-is this accurate?

It generally takes quite a bit less than 4hours when I've used,once it drops off in the city centre it heads straight for tunnell so its a quick hop to the Airport. I guess they have to be quite conservative with their timings when it comes to Airport transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Revvy

Only way to Dublin Airport
    Cuts out most of the M50, toll bridge, mad cow roundabout and the nass dual carriage way.

Give yourself time the first time you attempt this route, some minor roads, but after you do it once, it's a gift.

Go the carlow route....... after the M7 motorway finishes , a couple of hundred yards into the dual carriage way, take a left towards straffan, onto maynooth, then dunboyne. This will take you to the navan road and then blanchardstown and onto the last bit of the M50 before the Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Thanks lads. Expected Rapid to be a bit conservative in their expected arrival times, although its taken me 3hrs to make it from city centre to Waterford in rush hour.

The coast road is a much more scenic journey with generally better roads. This new motorway will surely be quicker when completed though.

Looking forward to some nice weather for the next couple of weeks, that rain last night was unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

Cheers guys.

Think the coast road sounds good especially when its dark :)

Does anyone know if i can pay the toll charge here in town before i head off

Advertisement