Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the city

• 23-08-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,633 ✭✭✭✭

( Just a quick Feedback question noting too Serious to be siad about anyone or any organisation, No Names of people)

for all those who work in the city.

What is your opinion on the waterford public.???

Me myself work in a popular city organisation and i think the waterford public is fairly good. I would be talking to people a lot in my job and a few times i met a few unpleasent people eg like a simple thank you would be too much to ask not just walking past someone not even taking notice of them. I admit im no saint myself but it can be a bit annoying and upsetting if your doing your job and someone doesent even say thank you or when you tell them something they just ignore you IMO.

I like my job but my heart goes out to people that are out of work, so im being selfish IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

As long as you're not one of them Trocaire or Oxfam lads with the clipboard you're grand with me! ;)
    If that is your job no disrepsect or anything, it's just that I've had a few bad experiences on Shop St in Galway with chuggers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill admit I don't take any notice of people asking me for money in town and don't say thanks but no thanks.

Its very annoying being constantly stopped and asked to sign up to various charities, by jumping out in front of me with a big smile and hello often not Pissing off when its clear I have no interest. Then there is the bible selling chap, the issue magazine, and other random folk looking for money for different reasons. I'm convinced charity workers are trained to be overly friendly and irritating, often refusing to back off. I don't give to charity that way, nor will I ever.

Sorry if its not what ye like, but think about it from everyone else's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

Sully wrote: »
    Ill admit I don't take any notice of people asking me for money in town and don't say thanks but no thanks.

Its very annoying being constantly stopped and asked to sign up to various charities, by jumping out in front of me with a big smile and hello often not Pissing off when its clear I have no interest. Then there is the bible selling chap, the issue magazine, and other random folk looking for money for different reasons. I'm convinced charity workers are trained to be overly friendly and irritating, often refusing to back off. I don't give to charity that way, nor will I ever.

Sorry if its not what ye like, but think about it from everyone else's point of view.

i agree -
    ive told loads of these guys - i support local charities - solas & childrens group link being my pet ones ---but these guys dont give up ---- they told me Bernardos is local too!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

but these guys dont give up

I can imagine if we were getting as much 'comission' (citation needed) for our job we'd be trying pretty damn hard too.
    I'd actually love to see how much those guys get paid. I have no problem at all lobbin a bit of change into a bucket if I have it but signing away my bank details!! No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Glorious capitalism, charities have a choice:
    1. Send out a small army of polite, unobtrusive volunteers to collect money.
    2. Hire a professional chugger company to pay people a commission based wage to collect money that those wages are then taken from.

The sad fact is that in a battle of 'volunteerism' vrs 'hard-sell minus wage', hard sell minus wage wins every time. And sure, what's a bit of social evil when cataracts are being removed from more people in Africa? Surely the ends justify the means?

I have a policy of never giving to any charity that hire chuggers. You'd save more little African eyes from glacoma or whatever by sending a personal check to Bill Gates, who gives about 90% of his fortune to charity through his foundation. The chuggers probably keep 60%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Oh I hate those clipboard-carrying baxtards. :mad:

Now if one of them starts their spiel I just give them a stony-faced look. Then if the try to make a joke or something and continue annoying me I tell them to fcuk off. I have no respect for anybody who does it because I know they're only doing it as a job, not for anybody's good.

I'll decide how much money I'll give to charity, thank you very much. And I'll decide who gets it too. I don't want one cent of my money going into your pockets so fcuk off and stop annoying me!

On topic: I have to say I think Waterford people are decent for the most part. There are arseholes everywhere but I don't think there's a higher concentration here or anything.

Advertisement