Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

monkey9 wrote: »
    Really like their sound,didn't they used to busk on Grafton street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Really like there sound,didn't they used to busk on Grafton street?

They sure did. I always remember them standing out as buskers! They were sheer quality!! They always seemed to me to be better than just busking.

Seems though now they're starting to make some inroads!!! I just love this song. I heard it on the radio a few weeks back and didn't know who it was, but i loved it. When i heard the DJ say 'that was the Riptide Movement', i just couldn't believe it!!

They sure did. I always remember them standing out as buskers! They were sheer quality!! They always seemed to me to be better than just busking.

Seems though now they're starting to make some inroads!!! I just love this song. I heard it on the radio a few weeks back and didn't know who it was, but i loved it. When i heard the DJ say 'that was the Riptide Movement', i just couldn't believe it!!
    Great track,they have an infectious sound going on.
    Only heard "keep on keeping on" fairly recently and it hooked me right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Met them at indiependence in cork, very down to earth lads, they were fantastic live, one of the highlights of the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any use??
    I had a go in a local shop and there was a short trial clip they had on repeat.
    There was a bit of golf on it and I wasn't that impressed,the crowd behind the green were really blurred.
    There was another bit where a lad was bouncing a football and then throws it at the screen,I actually put my hands on front of me face and ducked out of the way :pac:
    Put the glasses down and backed away.

It's savage at ground level, not so much when the ball is in the air. It gives you a better understanding of the greens, you can see the breaks so much better.
    The crowd shots are class too.

But the Avengers advert was DEADLY! One of them threw a frisbee type thing at the screen and everyone went "oh ****" and then started laughing. It does take you by surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Some guy chasing a golf ball at the Masters a short while ago.

theball.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

why does nearly every sentence or phrase end in .com or bro now!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Trilla wrote: »

We(the internet) have had a meeting and since it annoys you we've decided to Incorporate it into the majority of sentences. Sorry bro.

Halfway through the lord of the rings extended trilogy, really really tired.

• Advertisement

It's finally over, first time seeing the trilogy, worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Trilla wrote: »

Dealwithit.com

Bro. :D

Serious lack of televised football today considering the amount of games on.

Get out to a game so!!

EA Sports League Cup

Time Home Away Venue
    3 p.m. St. Patrick's Athletic v U.C.D Richmond Park
    4 p.m. Limerick FC v Cork City Jackman Park
    2 p.m. Derry City v Finn Harps The Brandywell
    6:30 p.m. Sligo Rovers v Monaghan United The Showgrounds
    3 p.m. SD Galway v Shamrock Rovers Terryland Park
    5 p.m. Shelbourne v Bray Wanderers Tolka Park

Get out to a game so!!

EA Sports League Cup

Time Home Away Venue
    3 p.m. St. Patrick's Athletic v U.C.D Richmond Park
    4 p.m. Limerick FC v Cork City Jackman Park
    2 p.m. Derry City v Finn Harps The Brandywell
    6:30 p.m. Sligo Rovers v Monaghan United The Showgrounds
    3 p.m. SD Galway v Shamrock Rovers Terryland Park
    5 p.m. Shelbourne v Bray Wanderers Tolka Park
    I've given up on Irish football.
    I supported Home Farm as a kid then on to Dublin City and then on to Sporting Fingal.

I don't want to ruin another club :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've given up on Irish football.
    I supported Home Farm as a kid then on to Dublin City and then on to Sporting Fingal.

I don't want to ruin another club :D

Stay away from Bohs. Hanging on for dear life at the moment. I fear you'll push them over the edge. :pac: Jinx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    Dealwithit.com
    Bro. :D
    joshrogan wrote: »
    We(the internet) have had a meeting and since it annoys you we've decided to Incorporate it into the majority of sentences. Sorry bro.

Was only asking :)

bros.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Stay away from Bohs. Hanging on for dear life at the moment. I fear you'll push them over the edge. :pac: Jinx
    Sort me out with a few quid and I'll start supporting Rovers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

End of semester presentations, assessment and exams are tilting me. **** having a summer semester too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

http://angleofpostandbar.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/wheres-talking.html

This is quality, and so very true.
    This is a piece about Sunday league football.

It will not make any reference to hangovers (Haha! Some of them go out the night before and are still drunk when they turn up!), fat players (LOL! They aren't professional athletes!) or crap pitches (ROFL! The public playing surface isn't completely flat and abundant with grass!)

English football, from top to bottom, has always been characterised by its intangible, unquantifiable (unless you count bags as suitable units of measurement) qualities of spirit, passion, grit, determination and, less notably, "talking".

Talking is easy. Not talking enough is generally agreed in Sunday league to be highly counter-productive. Players are urged before kick-off for "lots of talking", especially "back there". Not talking is an accusation that can only be levelled at a whole team (or at least its rearguard), rather than an individual (unless it is the captain, who must shout indiscriminately for ninety minutes, for that is his job.)

To avoid this indictment, a lexicon of largely useless phrases has emerged, which can be called upon whenever it is necessary to fill a period of relative silence. Everyone knows them, everyone understands what they are vaguely supposed to mean, and almost nobody questions them. Now, clichéd as they are, many bellowed phrases you hear on a football pitch - "Man on!", "Out we go!", etc - are useful instructions. Nothing wrong with those. The following set of on-pitch rallying cries, however, must not escape scrutiny:

1. "We've Gone Quiet"
    Going quiet, as highlighted earlier, is the sign of a malfunctioning team. No-one is talking, which means we all might as well go home. A period of notable quietness is ended only when the captain draws everyone's attention to it: "Come on lads, we've gone quiet!". It can, at the shouter's discretion, be bookended with "...haven't we?", to offer the illusion of a debate where one is really not available.

Apart from functioning to actually end the quietness, this is accepted as an open invitation to call upon phrases 2-8 in this list.

2. "Straight In"
    A staple instruction that can be used only at a very specific moment - namely, the opponents kicking off the game. "Run after the ball!", it demands, "Chase it when they kick it backwards!". Only the strikers need to, of course, and the moment quickly passes. Getting "straight in" is not a continuous requirement, but merely an opening gesture of intent, which is guaranteed to be unfulfilled.

Often accompanied by a mindless, yet somehow entirely appropriate-feeling, clap of the hands.

3. "Two On The Edge"
    When a corner is awarded, it is everyone's job to pick up their man. One player has the added task of spotting a particular discrepancy in this complex marking system, in that there are two unattended opponents lumbering into the penalty area. In extreme circumstances, there may be "three on the edge" - an unthinkable catastrophe which is met with a suitably incredulous cry of "I've got three here!". The lack of concentration may be down to the defence's preoccupation with the big man, the tall (i.e. lanky) opposing centre-back/estate agent, who has arrived with a look of great purpose from the back.

4. "All Day"
    An utterly irritating phrase (specifically designed to be so) used by smug opponents to declare your attacking efforts as weak and unlikely to succeed even if repeated. Often said twice in quick succession - as a speculative effort flies high, wide and [not at all] handsome - to compound the humiliation.

5. "It's Still 0-0"
    Football is an overwhelmingly childish pursuit. Much of football supporting is based on schadenfreude and suffering the taunts, in return, when your own team is humbled.

To combat this threat, some employ an overly defensive stance, hoping that an audible absence of pride will pre-empt any possible fall. And so, if a Sunday team races into an early lead, one stern-faced, armband-toting try-hard will attempt to construct a parallel universe in which the game is, in fact, goalless. The job is not done, he says, a point he may return to when the final score is 7-4 or something similarly amateur.

6. "Box 'Em In!"
    A cult classic, in my eyes. Satisfies two fundamental criteria: 1) A laughable attempt at tactical insight, and 2) Exclaimed almost instinctively, EVERY SINGLE TIME. The ball goes out for an opposition throw-in, deep in their final third, and it is universally accepted that they do not have the adequate technical skills (or simply the upper-body strength) to play/hurl their way to safety.

7. "[Shirt Colour] Head on This!"
    Possibly the most pointless one of all. For the uninitiated, this cryptic command is for your teammates to meet an imminent opposition hoof with their head before the other lot can. No accuracy is required but congratulations are available for heading it really, really hard, straight back where it came from. "WELL UP!" you are told, with your name declared in full if the game is particularly tense. More forward-thinking Sunday league players concern themselves with the second ball, which is often simply another header. Third balls remain an untapped, bewildering resource, possibly due to Chaos Theory.

8. "Away!"
    Loosely translated as "Now look here, teammate - I neither want nor trust you to play your way out of trouble. Please dispose of the ball as quickly and as far away as possible." Failure to do as directed leaves one open to castigation for "fannying about with it there". Professional footballers, it should be noted, do not officially fanny about but simply dally, hesitate or dwell on the ball.

Meanwhile, back on recreation grounds up and down the country, players might be allowed to fanny about if they are deemed to have an adequate amount of:

9. "Time!" The ball drops from the air and a player finds himself in acres of space. Pointing this out to him might seem a good idea. It'll calm him down, allow him to get his head up and play a pass, rather than treat the ball like an unpinned grenade.

However, when ten other players scream "Time! Time!" in unison, it tends to have quite the opposite effect. The futility of the situation is laid bare when, after relinquishing possession easily, the player is offered a final, withering, retrospective observation.

"You had time."

10. "Where Was The Shout?" The ultimate act of Sunday League buck-passing. A player is unceremoniously dispossessed from behind, to howls of derision from his teammates. Accompanied by a despairing flap of the arms, the player begs of his colleagues: "Where was the shout?"

There wasn't one.

Because they've gone quiet, haven't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fúcking stupid that adidas.com doesn't ship to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

baz2009 wrote: »

They got savage gear on the site alright, probably better off since everything is so expensive, otherwise i'd be broke. If your looking for anything specific try JD Sports website, they got a good adidas range.
    End of semester presentations, assessment and exams are tilting me. **** having a summer semester too

What kind of place gives you a summer semester?

Anyone going on a J1 in the summer?

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    What kind of place gives you a summer semester?

Masters in Smurfit. Bastards. Had big Euro plans too :mad:

They got savage gear on the site alright, probably better off since everything is so expensive, otherwise i'd be broke. If your looking for anything specific try JD Sports website, they got a good adidas range.

Was looking forward to making myself a nice pair of Gazelles for my birthday, alas it's not to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My brother loves Adidas stuff and he said it's utterly ridiculous.

He got a mate in the states to order it and resend it - he had to pay double the postage really but if there's something you really want I suppose you'll pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Can you not order from the .co.uk site and get it delivered? Pop in the Antrim postcode BT11AA or something like that so it gets filtered through to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

/me sighs

Shoe shopping...

Masters in Smurfit. Bastards. Had big Euro plans too :mad:

Thats a balls, hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

PaulieC wrote: »
    My brother loves Adidas stuff and he said it's utterly ridiculous.

He got a mate in the states to order it and resend it - he had to pay double the postage really but if there's something you really want I suppose you'll pay for it

I'll probably head up to the big shmoke and get a decent pair off the shelves somewhere.
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Can you not order from the .co.uk site and get it delivered? Pop in the Antrim postcode BT11AA or something like that so it gets filtered through to Ireland.

According to the site they only deliver to mainland UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

According to the site they only deliver to mainland UK.

I only take that to mean they don't deliver to the Channel Islands or the Orkney Islands, remote areas in the UK. Sure it let me get all the way to the payment page when I put in my Belfast address.

If they cancel the order, they cancel the order and I keep my money but, at least I'll know either way.

Might give that a go so, cheers!

• Advertisement

Coming so close to the end of It's Always Sunny in Philly on Netflix.:(

The episode where they're in the house to get a vase is my favourite I think. Right at the end when
    Frank sees the vase and whips it into pieces is fúcking brilliant!

The episode where they're in the house to get a vase is my favourite I think. Right at the end when

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I don't think I can pick a episode for my favourite. They're all good! :D

Probably would pick the Dennis and Dee go on Welfare one if you had to push me though.

Was looking at Arrested Development.. any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The Day Man Cometh is my favoruite. So funny, ooh danny boy, little boy, baby boy, I need you....:D

Arrested Development is hilarious, I'm only seen a few episodes from the first season, the lads I live it keep rewatching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Was just reading back through the GoT forum and seen something, and I thought the SF would be the best place.

Congrats on the marriage Des. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jaysus congrats Des!

Ul Desmond!

(messing, congrats!)

Congratumalations Des!

Irish orals are starting tomorrow. The semi-meltdowns on Twitter and Facebook are amusing.:D However, I think it's bad that I'm so relaxed about them, this isn't normal for me.:pac:

Congratumalations Des!

Irish orals are starting tomorrow. The semi-meltdowns on Twitter and Facebook are amusing.:D However, I think it's bad that I'm so relaxed about them, this isn't normal for me.:pac:

Good luck baz, I used to be way too relaxed doing them aswell. The only mistake i made doing mine was when i kept saying "Ta mo parents" instead of thuismitheoiri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ah, the orals are a doddle. Never even heard of a prick examiner, both mine were sound (for French too). Very easy to learn off exactly what you're going to say, although I heard the Irish orals have changed since.

THFC wrote: »
    Ah, the orals are a doddle. Never even heard of a prick examiner, both mine were sound (for French too). Very easy to learn off exactly what you're going to say, although I heard the Irish orals have changed since.

The way it is now you get half the marks for reading out a poem and describing a comic strip kinda thing with 6 pictures. Then the other half for a conversation. The series of pictures is fairly difficult, but it's not too bad because we know the 20 possibilities of series' that could come up already, then it's random at which one you pick in the exam.
    Good luck baz, I used to be way too relaxed doing them aswell. The only mistake i made doing mine was when i kept saying "Ta mo parents" instead of thuismitheoiri.

Cheers! I'm expecting a large number of French words to creep into it somehow or another.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I remember when I walked into my Spanish oral, the examiner asked me "how are you"

I started going into a massive essay like answer. She had to stop me mid way and say "Oh no it hasn't started yet"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I remember when I walked into my Spanish oral, the examiner asked me "how are you"

I started going into a massive essay like answer. She had to stop me mid way and say "Oh no it hasn't started yet"

I remember I had to stop you with something oral-related too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I remember I had to stop you with something oral-related too.

Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Best of lucks with the exams Baz.

Congrats to Des as well. Fair play to you mate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Davekoolhill

Lads, we had Irish footballer Barry Maguire on the YBIG Football Show this week.

Barry plays in the Dutch league for VVV-Venlo and has hit some really good form at the moment despite his teams poor run of results.

Here is the link to the show: http://TheWorldsTalking.com/category/ybig-footie-show/

Would love to know what you all think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Trying to study during weekends is impossible :mad: I'd rather be bored and do nothing all day than actually do something productive :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Paully D wrote: »
    Trying to study during weekends is impossible :mad: I'd rather be bored and do nothing all day than actually do something productive :pac:
    I've been in the library all day today and yesterday, feels weird following the weekend matches only through livescore.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement