Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Venezuala's new Sports Minister.:cool:

article-2315107-197E7BC7000005DC-767_306x465.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I can see the country getting behind her....huehuehehuehuehuheue

Watching ESPN Classic and they are advertising for subscriptions.Very odd considering ESPN is going off the air in July as BT take over.The only ESPN branded channel left will be showing American sports.
    Gonna be interesting to see how much we'll be charged to watch BT Sports considering Sky customers in Ireland get ESPN free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

zerks wrote: »
    Watching ESPN Classic and they are advertising for subscriptions.Very odd considering ESPN is going off the air in July as BT take over.The only ESPN branded channel left will be showing American sports.
    Gonna be interesting to see how much we'll be charged to watch BT Sports considering Sky customers in Ireland get ESPN free.

Is there any chance we will get BT for free instead of ESPN?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This brought back some memories of playing football as a kid :). Though we had 'World Cup' instead of 'Wembley', and 'fly keeper' instead of 'Rush keeper'

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This brought back some memories of playing football as a kid :). Though we had 'World Cup' instead of 'Wembley', and 'fly keeper' instead of 'Rush keeper'

And 'No goal mooching' was no 'goal hanging'. "You're some bloody goal hanger"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Keno 92 wrote: »
    And 'No goal mooching' was no 'goal hanging'. "You're some bloody goal hanger"

'Hatching' was what we called it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Loved being the fly goalie

Pro. F wrote: »
    'Hatching' was what we called it.

Hatching? Jesus. You must of grown up in an awfully rough estate. :P

Snibbing no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was always hatching for us

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Snibbing no?

That was another one we used for it as well. Wouldn't have remembered it if you didn't post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It was called snitching!

I used to be a hatcher :P I have asthma and can't run that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hatching in dublin anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Definitely hatching.

Stick, Fly and last-man-back ar the three acceptable keeper terms.

Stick if one team had more players than the other team.

How high is the crossbar? As high as the keepers upstretched arm whenhe jumps, higher than that and it's over.

Ball over the jumper? Goal or not, or "it would have went in off" "No it wouldn't" "We'll take a penno then".

NEXT GOAL THE WINNER!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's fly keeper and goal hanging c'moffit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's fly keeper and goal hanging c'moffit

Same around where I lived.

Goal hanger/poacher & fly keeper/last man back were the norm.

Goal hanger was normally laziest person in the group. Dirty feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

we still play world cup, what else is there to do like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Can't remember what we called the keeper. May have been 'fly'. What's more worring is that this was in the last 10 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Last man back and stick keeper. Always has, always will be.

Ah the memorys :), do kids still play like this? Never see them out all day playing ball like we used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

we still play, 3 and in, world cup, if someone did that get on knees and head it into goal from a yard away though that would just be bad out these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In 3rd year we used to play against the 6th years every day. I was the resident hatcher, used to score at least 2 goals most games, but then the 6th years got thick and started kicking the shít out of me every game. :pac:

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    In 3rd year we used to play against the 6th years every day. I was the resident hatcher, used to score at least 2 goals most games, but then the 6th years got thick and started kicking the shít out of me every game. :pac:

That was acceptable if you hatched.

Anyone remember using those cheap plastic Champion balls that used to fly all over the place and end up shaped like an egg by the end of a game?

G.K. wrote: »
    Can't remember what we called the keeper. May have been 'fly'. What's more worring is that this was in the last 10 years...

Fly keeper or last man back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I miss being young :(

Did anyone else used to play football tennis? Every summer for a couple of weeks when Wimbeldon was on.

Did anyone else used to play football tennis? Every summer for a couple of weeks when Wimbeldon was on.

Haha,yeah sure did. I'd forgotten about it till now. Great game.

• Advertisement

Haha,yeah sure did. I'd forgotten about it till now. Great game.

Sure was :D, every summer tv full of Wimbeldon what shall we do play tennis? Nah let just draw a line draw a line on the road and play tennis with a football, then you had doubles football tennis :).

Sure was :D, every summer tv full of Wimbeldon what shall we do play tennis? Nah let just draw a line draw a line on the road and play tennis with a football, then you had doubles football tennis :).

There was a school just across the road from my house and they used to leave the tennis nets up all summer(quiet area in the country) so we used to play on the tennis courts not on the road. This thread is making me very nostalgic for my youth.

There was a school just across the road from my house and they used to leave the tennis nets up all summer(quiet area in the country) so we used to play on the tennis courts not on the road. This thread is making me very nostalgic for my youth.

Ah you played posh football tennis :P:pac:, yeh nostalgic thoughts are flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I loved football tennis at the football camps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Go to someones house that has a decent size lawn, have a soccer tennis tournament, with a ladder :p

Go to someones house that has a decent size lawn, have a soccer tennis tournament, with a ladder :p

A decent size lawn AND a ladder :eek:

Now that's posh :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Definitely hatching.

Stick, Fly and last-man-back ar the three acceptable keeper terms.

Stick if one team had more players than the other team.

How high is the crossbar? As high as the keepers upstretched arm whenhe jumps, higher than that and it's over.

Ball over the jumper? Goal or not, or "it would have went in off" "No it wouldn't" "We'll take a penno then".

NEXT GOAL THE WINNER!!!!

And whoever kicked it, goes after it.

As a keeper/last man back, I was making sure this was enforced, particularly when the hatcher belted it down the road

We played a game called 'skills'. You probably called it something different. It was where you each had a finite amount of lives and the first keeper would get an extra one. You could only score on the volley and if it went wide you were put on goal. Last two people settled it on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

We played a game called 'skills'. You probably called it something different. It was where you each had a finite amount of lives and the first keeper would get an extra one. You could only score on the volley and if it went wide you were put on goal. Last two people settled it on penalties.

That was called "Heads and Volleys " where I'm from. 7 lives. First Keeper got 8.

We used to call it Nods & Volleys, you could only score with a volley or header.

I remember the amount of complaining when a ball went over a jacket or "post" and if it was in or not or when some poor fecker on goal used to always moan when people were volleying in from about 6yards out.

Good times :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Heads and Volleys no?

No wonder I have bad knees when playing in goals as a Kid I dived on concrete.

Was worth it just to save shots from those Goal hanging cheats though.;)

Heads and Volleys or Three and In
    • only score with a head or volley
    • can't set yourself up
    • wide, over or a clean catch by the keeper and the outfield lose a life
    • outfield has 3 lives
    • last person to lose a life goes in
    • can't score from "too close" in
    • no blemmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The nostalgia in here the last few days. Ahhhh good times.

World Cup.
    Heads n Volleys
    Goal Hanging.

We also used to play "Names" basically ya kicked the ball against a piece of the wall, called someones name (generally the furthest away from you, so they would have to leg it for the ball :) ) they then had One touch and a shot to hit the wall again whilst calling someone elses name.

I'm sure other people played it and called it something else :)

Anyone play "Squares" or "ABC"?

nicklauski wrote: »
    The nostalgia in here the last few days. Ahhhh good times.

World Cup.
    Heads n Volleys
    Goal Hanging.

We also used to play "Names" basically ya kicked the ball against a piece of the wall, called someones name (generally the furthest away from you, so they would have to leg it for the ball :) ) they then had One touch and a shot to hit the wall again whilst calling someone elses name.

I think we called it rebound or some variation of that.

Simpler times, anyone who had bought a new leather football was automatically the coolest guy around.

I remember a few times as well you'd call to the guy with the ball and your game hinged on whether or not he was playing or would lend ya the ball.

nicklauski wrote: »

We called it 'wall ball'. Ours involved two people and they had to kick it first touch.

941591_578778855489898_1848753405_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

We called it 'On The Volley'. We had a rule where if the keeper caught the ball cleanly whoever touched it last went in goal. There was no winner, just whoever hit 0 lives first had to stand in the goal, bend over, and everyone gets a shoot at them from 5 yards :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm only 25 and it feels like a lifetime ago I played Heads n Volleys, Wall Ball, World Cup, etc. Good times they were.
    SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    We called it 'On The Volley'. We had a rule where if the keeper caught the ball cleanly whoever touched it last went in goal. There was no winner, just whoever hit 0 lives first had to stand in the goal, bend over, and everyone gets a shoot at them from 5 yards :p

Red Arse that was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement