Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    We called it 'On The Volley'. We had a rule where if the keeper caught the ball cleanly whoever touched it last went in goal. There was no winner, just whoever hit 0 lives first had to stand in the goal, bend over, and everyone gets a shoot at them from 5 yards :p

Aye, we had the clean catch rule too. The 'red arse' ending to the game I became accustomed to thanks to the lads I met in college. We were a lot more gentler in our younger days so penalties to decide the winner > a bloody arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

called that heads and volleys, my speciality because i was the king of keeping the ball in the air :D scored a few goals in real matches which were the result of those endless games of heads and V's. that game made my touch from high and long balls exceptional, my best trait, now my first touch is absolutely awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Goal hanger sounds rubbish and is harder to say than hatching, ergo it's wrong and Dublin wins at yet another thing :p

If you wanna talk about inconsistent refereeing just look at a match between kids in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm only 25 and it feels like a lifetime ago I played Heads n Volleys, Wall Ball, World Cup, etc. Good times they were.

Same boat!
    Liam O wrote: »
    Goal hanger sounds rubbish and is harder to say than hatching, ergo it's wrong and Dublin wins at yet another thing :p

Sure thing brah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you wanna talk about inconsistent refereeing just look at a match between kids in those days.

Hatching sounds like a dirty tackle and not goal hanging.

• Advertisement

Hatching sound like you either assaulting someone physically or even sexually...

"Aww man, you shoulda' seen who he was caught hatching last night".

Since the term seems to have originated from Dublin I will not discredit either possibility..

Heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Hatching sound like you either assaulting someone physically or even sexually...

"Aww man, you shoulda' seen who he was caught hatching last night".

Since the term seems to have originated from Dublin I will not discredit either possibility..

Heh.

This coming from a guy whose county calls bread....blaaa...

IvySlayer wrote: »
    This coming from a guy whose county calls bread....blaaa...

We call bread, bread and blaas, blaas.

Two distinctly different, yet hugely delicious, pieces of dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

WTF is a blaaa? :confused:

AFAIK, it's bread and butter. I could be wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's a bread roll type thing is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I demand Keno send me a sample

Oh, my ignorant comrades.
    A blaa is a doughy, white bread bun (roll) speciality particularly associated with Waterford. They are usually very soft and covered with white flour. This variety of blaa is more chewy, while the second popular variety has a crusty but tasty exterior. Blaas are sometimes confused with a similar bun, known as a bap, which is often served with less flour. They are square in shape and are most notably identified by the white flour shaken over them before the baking process.

Blaa.jpg

Words do not do her justice I'm afraid. She is an experience unparalleled in modern cuisine.

So..........its a bap basically?

Only thing I've ever got from Waterford was my car really.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    So..........its a bap basically?

You're dead to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Been living in Waterford for college since September and I'm still yet to have a blaa.

You'd need a pint of water to drown it down.

Quite frankly, Waterford can keep their blaas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

So people in Waterford call Baps 'blaas'?

If you asked someone in Tesco down here: "Excuse me, where do you keep the blaas?" I'd expect nothing less than to be dropkicked in the face while they evacuate the store.

The ignorance being spewed in this thread...

I'm going off for a blaa to calm me nerves.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    The ignorance being spewed in this thread...

I'm going off for a blaa to calm me nerves.
    Historically, the blaa is also believed to have been made in Kilkenny and Wexford

Blaa off :pac:

• Advertisement

Blaa off :pac:

Sure every developed country has businesses that outsource some of its production to poorer, less developed countries (or county's in this case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Heads and Volleys or Three and In
    • only score with a head or volley
    • can't set yourself up
    • wide, over or a clean catch by the keeper and the outfield lose a life
    • outfield has 3 lives
    • last person to lose a life goes in
    • can't score from "too close" in
    • no blemmers

We played 5 lives and last mistake goes in, no volleys in the 6 yard box

great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Blaas are nicer than baps going by my experience of them - they're softer I think....although that could just have been placebo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hopefully someone can help me out here.
    I'm looking to get my hands on 15 or so Mitre Tactic footballs in a hurry. Preferably before Sunday. I'm in Kildare/Carlow area but dont mind travelling to get them if they are available.
    Anyone any ideas - Sportsworld and Lifestyle in Carlow dont have them. Struggling to find anywhere in Kilkenny either.

9727-tactic-blue-main.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

IMG-20130507-WA0004_zpsc7090c2b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bookmark (its perfectly legal)

http://www.filmon.com/#FilmOn-Football

Anybody heading to the FAI Intermediate Cup Final Sunday?

Avondale v Bluebell.

Ive 2 buddies playing for Avondale so going to make the trip up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Avondale v Bluebell.

Not going but is the game in Lansdowne road?

Not going but is the game in Lansdowne road?

Richmond Park AFAIK.

It was in Tallaght last year when Avondale beat Cherry Orchard.

• Advertisement

Richmond Park AFAIK.

It was in Tallaght last year when Avondale beat Cherry Orchard.

Avondale are playing well by all accounts. Very good side.

Avondale are playing well by all accounts. Very good side.

Oh ya, they're a good footballing side but they're solid at the back as well.

I think they're stronger this year then they were last year, should be a good game.

Theres a bus or two heading up from the local area as well as a couple of car loads so they should have a decent enough support up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nice....

6756_486154641453705_1042868190_n.png

Avondale v Bluebell.

Avondale ended up winning 4-1.

Went 1-0 down after about 30-40 seconds from a poor defensive mistake and for the first 5 minutes could really have been 2,3 down.

They got a foot hold in the game and two great headers from the RWB put them ahead after about 15 minutes.

Pretty much dominated the rest of the 1st half afterwards.

2nd Half Bluebell started really well and had most of the possesion but rarely threatened, Avondale broke up the other end twice, firing one very good chance wide and the other got a penalty but I'm not sure if the tackle was in the box or not, resulting penalty was slotted away. 3-1.

4th was the pick of the goals, RWB picked up the ball just inside the wing, cut inside and scored a curling effort from about 20-25 yards out.

3rd FAI Intermediate cup win in a row.

Avondale ended up winning 4-1.

Went 1-0 down after about 30-40 seconds from a poor defensive mistake and for the first 5 minutes could really have been 2,3 down.

They got a foot hold in the game and two great headers from the RWB put them ahead after about 15 minutes.

Pretty much dominated the rest of the 1st half afterwards.

2nd Half Bluebell started really well and had most of the possesion but rarely threatened, Avondale broke up the other end twice, firing one very good chance wide and the other got a penalty but I'm not sure if the tackle was in the box or not, resulting penalty was slotted away. 3-1.

4th was the pick of the goals, RWB picked up the ball just inside the wing, cut inside and scored a curling effort from about 20-25 yards out.

3rd FAI Intermediate cup win in a row.

It sounded like good game and good goals.

3 in row is fair acheivement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are there any Youtube trends worse than M/V reaction videos? You are just watching someone else watch a music video.

They get 1000's of views too. I don't get it at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oat23 wrote: »
    Are there any Youtube trends worse than M/V reaction videos? You are just watching someone else watch a music video.

They get 1000's of views too. I don't get it at all :(
    I wasn't aware that was a thing. Doesn't surprise me though, youtube is a haven for attention seekers with limited talent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone else listen to the new Daft Punk album yet? I'm not really getting the hype towards it at all.

It's good but it's really not their best album and certainly not the best album of the year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone else listen to the new Daft Punk album yet? I'm not really getting the hype towards it at all.

It's good but it's really not their best album and certainly not the best album of the year so far.

leaked? nvm found it

That_Guy wrote: »

Heard some of it on Today FM. It's all very same-y...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think its brilliant. Not a bad track on it. They better hurry up and get themselves to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think its brilliant. Not a bad track on it. They better hurry up and get themselves to Ireland.

Haven't heard the album yet but ever since seeing them at Oxegen been dying for them to come back.

If there is going to be a tour there keeping it very very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its much different from their older stuff. I really like the album, its kinda like what Justice did with their newest album as well, its a really nice change.

I've never seen them live, my first Oxegen was the one after that one. They're saying at the moment theres no plans for a tour yet. But its only a matter of time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Never got Daft Punk. Just think they're complete sh!te. It's ok though, The National's new album is out today. Music is saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm going to try to ignore Monkey9's crazy talk! Here's some covers of Daft Punk tunes by a brass band:

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
    Around the World
    Da Funk
    One More Time

The first two don't really work for me, but the other two are fun.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm going to try to ignore Monkey9's crazy talk! Here's some covers of Daft Punk tunes by a brass band:

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
    Around the World
    Da Funk
    One More Time

The first two don't really work for me, but the other two are fun.

Ha!! :D What can i say, i just don't like Daft Punk at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ha!! :D What can i say, i just don't like Daft Punk at all.

Ah, I won't hold it against you :)

monkey9 wrote: »
    Never got Daft Punk. Just think they're complete sh!te.

I thought it was just me. Don't like them either but I've not heard anyone say anything negative about them the past few weeks since people have started talking about them again.

I don't know who The Nationals are either, my music knowledge is atrocious as is my taste I've been told.

I thought it was just me. Don't like them either but I've not heard anyone say anything negative about them the past few weeks since people have started talking about them again.

I don't know who The Nationals are either, my music knowledge is atrocious as is my taste I've been told.

^^ not my type of music either! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

^^ not my type of music either! :o

What are you into? Might be able to point you in the direction of something you'd like.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement