Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Good luck Copper_pipe (And others)!

In my final exams over here too as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's a sad day for the xbox fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

RasTa wrote: »

I still love my 360. Fine machine. But overall console gamers win, go Sony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

RasTa wrote: »

Will be switching over to ps4 myself, literally trumps the xbone in every department. The price is the cherry on the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What am I missing regarding the PS4?

Cant access any of the good sites in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why does ps4 win hands down?

me bit of noob here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh did I hear something like your xbox has to be turned on all the time or at least once a day? And monitors you to some extent?

I have an xbox but it generally only gets dusted off once a year next time will probably be for the new GTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can't* buy second hand games for it, or borrow a game from a friend. Requirement of online verification every 24 hours for offline games. The bloody Kinect sensor came with it and its always on.

Sony just did the oppostie and made a complete fool of Microsoft while doing so.

You can, I think, but its awkward. You need to be logged into your account to play it in a friends house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have Sony fixed their sh*te online gaming?

Since I bought a gaming PC I only really use the PS3 for Blu ray's really and Gran Turismo.

i'll probably pick up a PS4 for the new GTA alright but I wont be rushing out to get one on launch day like the old PS1/2/3's of past.

Edit : it does look like Microsoft have dropped the ball a tad, it'll still sell by the bucket load though.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have Sony fixed their sh*te online gaming?

It is fairly ****e but its free.

If they improved it and didnt charge through the nose fo rit they wouldnt lose many gamers.

I think now a days people will tend to have both if they have the means, I toyed with the idea of getting an XBox 360 but after borrowing one for a week I never really took to it a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You'll have to pay a subscription for online with Playstation so it should be as stable as Xbox Live. Think it's €40 for the year.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You'll have to pay a subscription for online with Playstation so it should be as stable as Xbox Live. Think it's €40 for the year.

Is that thew new PS4?

You can buy a sub for the PS3 at the moment and its 49 for 12months and you get free games and access to demos and stuff, I've never got it but when it was free awhile back over the hacking of the PSN accounts, it did seem like it was a decent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd be upset about the subscription to play online, but PS+ is such a fantastic service that I don't mind! The games you get with it are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is that thew new PS4?

You can buy a sub for the PS3 at the moment and its 49 for 12months and you get free games and access to demos and stuff, I've never got it but when it was free awhile back over the hacking of the PSN accounts, it did seem like it was a decent service.

Yeah for the PS4. PS+ will be a requirement to play online but you'll be able to play single player offline.

That's my grasp on it but I could be slightly wrong. I only have my PS3 for over a year so I'm in no rush to buy the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is that thew new PS4?

PS+ is ridiculously good value. I can't keep up with the amount of games they're making available on it.

Apparently a PS+ sub is required to play online on PS4.

If so, thats another reason I'll wait.

See if the PS+ is worth it, although the only games I played online for my PS3 were GT5, GTA, COD and Battlefield.

I wonder what will happen with the DLC for these games as they'll no doubt still be around.

PS+ is ridiculously good value. I can't keep up with the amount of games they're making available on it.

Apparently a PS+ sub is required to play online on PS4.

Any idea of the size of the HDD so on the PS4....or are they going to an SSD for the PS4 considering a lot of games will be bought through the Ps store.

I'm so far out of the loop. :O

If so, thats another reason I'll wait.

See if the PS+ is worth it, although the only games I played online for my PS3 were GT5, GTA, COD and Battlefield.

I wonder what will happen with the DLC for these games as they'll no doubt still be around.
    There's talk of a free full PS4 title and some PSN games each month with Drive Club confirmed for the first month. That would be some value for €50 or so a year if that's true.

• Advertisement

Any idea of the size of the HDD so on the PS4....or are they going to an SSD for the PS4 considering a lot of games will be bought through the Ps store.

I'm so far out of the loop. :O
    Base model ships with 500gb that you can swap out yourself for a bigger one like the current one. Could be other models available too.

I presume it will be released in and around Xmas 2013 ya?

I presume it will be released in and around Xmas 2013 ya?
    They said holidays 2013, no exact date. Microsoft at least gave the month.

Base model ships with 500gb that you can swap out yourself for a bigger one like the current one. Could be other models available too.

Come along way since the original 60gb one I got on launch, although I'm sure I heard there was 20gb launched for the original PS3, probably US.

20Gb would only handle just over half my current Skyrim save. :pac:

Come along way since the original 60gb one I got on launch, although I'm sure I heard there was 20gb launched for the original PS3, probably US.

20Gb would only handle just over half my current Skyrim save. :pac:
    I got a 40gb a few months after release :o

They said holidays 2013, no exact date. Microsoft at least gave the month.

Asia Xmas 2013, Europe could fall in line about 2/3 months after maybe, depending on production numbers and demand from the Asian market, which should be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If, at this stage, you own a PS3 and don't have PS+, you're doing it wrong. By far the best purchase I've made this gen. I first started my sub (3 months) this time last year, and within 2 months, I bought a years sub on top of that. Just some of the games I got for free so far include:

Batman Arkham City
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Infamous 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Dead Space 2
    Motorstorm Apocalypse
    Darksiders
    Just Cause
    Demon's Souls
    Vanquish
    Crysis 2
    Little Big Planet 2
    Hitman Absolution
    Catherine
    Mass Effect 3
    Sleeping Dogs
    Mortal Kombat
    Bioshock 2

etc etc I could go on for another few minutes. The above does not include the great stuff for the Vita either.

I got a 40gb a few months after release :o

I think it was 60gb, could have been the 40gb, I jsut remember thinking it was great it would play some of the PS2 games I hadnt completed yet only to realise i ahd to start them again on the new PS3 save. :mad:

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If, at this stage, you own a PS3 and don't have PS+, you're doing it wrong. By far the best purchase I've made this gen. I first started my sub (3 months) this time last year, and within 2 months, I bought a years sub on top of that. Just some of the games I got for free so far include:

Darksiders

What's that like? Only heard good things about it.

Excellent. I've not had much time to put into it, due to the above backlog, but whenever I have played, its a pretty good God of War-alike. Just not as violent :p

Have it myself but have yet to start it.....bought it purely on the fact that Joe Maduriera was involved in it.

• Advertisement

Just remember that if you get PS+ today, then you can still get the year long games; Motorstorm Apocalypse, Infamous 2 and LBP2 before they get changed out tomorrow for Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and LBP Karting.

So if you buy today you could boost your free game count by 6 already, for the price of €50. You'll also get more stuff every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I will be sweating buckets on the 16th of June.

8644_648773708472864_92258438_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I had both an Xbox 360 and PS3 this gen and I didn't really like the PS3 but Microsoft have really dropped the ball. The DRM is a disaster but the Xbox One has slightly better exclusives IMO. It'll be a tough one for me but Microsoft will surely have to make a move as they're getting hammered in the polls.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Last night was an exercise in how crush your opponent. Anyone buying an Xbone is a fool or completely uneducated on gaming consoles.. Only thing that is appealing is the ability to stream your gaming to Twitch and timed exclusive DLC which I fancy Microsoft will really push for that bit more now in the future after Sony's presentation.

Only disappointment from the Sony side for me personally was that I was holding out news for a new Uncharted game despite it being a long shot :P , but since they wouldn't want to take away any momentum from Game of the Year (more than likely!) The Last of Us and it's release in three days time, I can understand where they're coming from :)

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If, at this stage, you own a PS3 and don't have PS+, you're doing it wrong.

If you have the broadband speed to take advantage of the benefits of PS+, all well and good as I've said before ;) Now it's mandatory for the PS4, it changes things.

What's the story with The Last of Us, is it a PSN game or can ya pick it up in shops?

What's the story with The Last of Us, is it a PSN game or can ya pick it up in shops?

In shops on Friday, but it might be out digitally to purchase via PSN as well for a bit more dearer price.

Haven't seen ratings this good for a good since Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 is a masterpiece, a must for any gamer.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    In shops on Friday, but it might be out digitally to purchase via PSN as well for a bit more dearer price.

Haven't seen ratings this good for a good since Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 is a masterpiece, a must for any gamer.

I loved Uncharted 2, I actually got Uncharted 1 in a bundle when my bought my 2nd and current PS3 in a bundle, loved the game and Uncharted 2 was such a great game.

Could tempt me too pick up the Last of us now,, damn you Nuri, I've a stag to book and the Ireland v Sweden and Germany away game on Monday. :o

I loved Uncharted 2, I actually got Uncharted 1 in a bundle when my bought my 2nd and current PS3 in a bundle, loved the game and Uncharted 2 was such a great game.

Could tempt me too pick up the Last of us now,, damn you Nuri, I've a stag to book and the Ireland v Sweden and Germany away game on Monday. :o

Have a watch of this..

One of few gaming journalists I 100% trust. The fact it's a Naughty Dog game just adds to it. There isn't any spoilers in the vid btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Xbox One games so far, for me, look better than the PS4. I also hate the PS3 controller and the look of the PS4 one.

Even with all of that, I'm now probably getting a PS4. That is how bad Microsoft fecked up. €100 cheaper is a massive draw too.

• Advertisement

What are the prices?....didn't think MS revealed theirs. Am still leaning towards an xbox one myself...don't trade games and am pretty much always online when I play...plus the PS controller is horrible to use...and Halo online constitutes most of my gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What are the prices?....didn't think MS revealed theirs. Am still leaning towards an xbox one myself...don't trade games and am pretty much always online when I play...plus the PS controller is horrible to use...and Halo online constitutes most of my gaming.

PS4 is €399
    XB1 is €499

The controller thing shouldn't be an issue, there will probably be 3rd party controllers available at launch or soon after. Someone like MadCatz will see how many people are going to be migrating from MS to Sony and they will be able to make a killing off an xbox style PS controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oat23 wrote: »
    PS4 is €399
    XB1 is €499

The controller thing shouldn't be an issue, there will probably be 3rd party controllers available at launch or soon after. Someone like MadCatz will see how many people are going to be migrating from MS to Sony and they will be able to make a killing off an xbox style PS controller.

Price wise that not to bad, If I remember correctly my credit card got hit with a drunken purchase on a xbox for about 600 to 700 euro, now it was a bundle purchase but two of the games of three that came with it were absolutely muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

IS there going to be a summer feedback thread this year mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We are discussing it, talking over what were are going to ask. That's where we're at atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Keno 92 wrote: »
    The Xbox One games so far, for me, look better than the PS4. I also hate the PS3 controller and the look of the PS4 one.

Even with all of that, I'm now probably getting a PS4. That is how bad Microsoft fecked up. €100 cheaper is a massive draw too.

Exactly how I feel.

If the PS4 allowed for Xbox controller use, it wouldn't even be a contest in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

PS3 pad is fine btw, I own both and prefer the dual shock.

They have made the PS4 pad bigger for the 360 fatboys.

Oat23 wrote: »
    PS4 is €399
    XB1 is €499

I was thinking that 4 years ago, still waiting for a decent PS3 controller :P

I hate the PS3 controller but the PS4 one looks like it'll be just about acceptable. Will be nice to have everyone on the same console in a couple of years, it'll be just like 2003 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

why is sykpe so slow :( i want to clall and chat peopel but it ytakes 10 mins to launch evver since update:(((

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

IvySlayer wrote: »
    why is sykpe so slow :( i want to clall and chat peopel but it ytakes 10 mins to launch evver since update:(((

Go home, you're drunk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement