Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's even harder to take you at face value now seeing as you admitted to pretending to be a Man Utd fan before.

Definite slip up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yes Chelsea. I was a big fan of Zola and Tore Andre Flo. Didier Drogba is my all time favourite player, IMO a once in a lifetime player, the finest striker of his kind of his generation. The current squad is exceptional, the quality and potential of Hazard, Mata and Oscar is undeniable.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvVCJGzdePd1vQDycWhbum0SLJNvATpVpaBbJW1aLe8pSWMmz5Ew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

*Enters OT thread

original.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Blatter wrote: »
    It's even harder to take you at face value now seeing as you admitted to pretending to be a Man Utd fan before.

Definite slip up.

Hardly. I think a couple of people on boards remember me from SSF, I've never tried to hide what happened on that forum, if I was then I simply would have used a different username here. The situation was very different over there, I suppose you'd have to have been on it to understand.

At the end of the day I don't particularly care what anyone thinks. I've simply cleared up a few misgivings about me in this thread. If you think that I'm a Man Utd fan then by all means go ahead, I know and anyone who knows me knows I'm an avid Chelsea fan, I watch practically every game they play each season, from ordering Chelsea TV for ore season over the summer months to the very end of the season, then rinse and repeat. I know and they know I'm a big admirer of Barcelona and Spanish football in general. I'd say you could count on one hand the amount of Barcelona games I missed the season just finished. But again if you don't want to believe that I don't particularly care. In here solely to talk about football on this forum, not to try to convince people that I view Man Utd's midfielder as a kind of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Blatter wrote: »

Definite slip up.

The fact he watches wrestling is enough for me to stop listening to him.

The fact he watches wrestling is enough for me to stop listening to him.

If that's really all it takes for you to not listen to someone then I'd rather that you didn't listen to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What have I started.

Why cant we all just get along?

miralize wrote: »
    What have I started.

Why cant we all just get along?

You went and searched through a thread, took a picture of my Xbox profile and then posted it on boards. I don't mean to put myself down but really I don't think I'm worth all of that work and attention.

I've then had to explain why my profile is in that state. I'm playing a game if football with the lads who had a bit of a mess with my profile so they'll get a bit of a laugh out of people thinking I'm a Man Utd fan cos of their work. I've had to explain a few times who the "Anderson" is in my username and I've had to give a brief overview of my time on another forum (which I've never tried to keep secret).

Like I've already said, I'm a Chelsea fan, it's common knowledge. I'm a big admirer of Barcelona and Spain. I'm a fan of Anderson Silva and Sheamus. I'm also a fan of Juan Martin Del Potro and Sebastian Vettel, I enjoy reading, jogging and long walks on the beach. I'm glad so many people have taken an interest in me.

While no doubt this investigation into my likes and dislikes has been nothing short of enthralling I'm sure there are other off topic issues that could be discussed aside from a Board members preferences and Xbox profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, I'm just going to ask the lynch mob to back off and put away the noose.

Anderson has nothing to answer for, if he so chooses to support teams/players/people you dont like then thats his choice, if its annoyed that he supports more then one team then so be it, thats his choice.

Hes presented a defence or reason for everything so far and ye can take it for what ye believe it to be worth, however great or little that holds water for you, but the constant jibes and taunts arent what we want to see in this or any thread as its boarding on bullying IMO so I'm just going to ask ye to stop it please.

If ye have any questions PM me, otherwise, back to the off-topicness, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well that was all just eh plain weird.

So eh off topic stuff, anyone here do Hell & Back recently? I done it for the second time and will be signing up to do it again in November, hard but good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So who has seen A Serbian Film since it got warnings here?

Feeling well? Having nightmares?

You were warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Arctic Monkeys at Glastonbury on BBC2 now. Cannot wait for Electric Picnic now!

baz2009 wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys at Glastonbury on BBC2 now. Cannot wait for Electric Picnic now!

Love Electric Picnic.

Had the best weekend of my life at it last year. So much better than Oxegen was in 2011! Only having to pay €150 for a ticket this year makes it all the better!

Maybe cause im getting old but Oxeygen is pile of muck. Not everyone will agree. Bit like Marmite. You either love it or hate it.

Electric Picnic wins hands down for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Oxegen this year is shïte . I think The Original Rudeboys are the only ones who play instruments playing at it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is music at Oxegen????

:eek:

I thought it was a utopia for Dutch Gold and Pills.

I had a great time at it, but there were actual bands there. Wouldn't camp there this year if I was paid to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Went to the first 7 Picnics,missed the last 2 and wont be going this year unless a load of money falls out of the sky. The second one was the best weekend of my life. The vibe that weekend will never be beaten again for lots of reasons. Everything just came together perfectly. I think the fact everyone was off their head on mushrooms probably played a large part.

Myself and my wife were sitting under a tree at one stage and some people started shouting "I wouldn't sit there" at us and pointing up. I looked up and there was a guy asleep in the branches above us. Out of his tree but in a tree.

Went to Oxegen twice round about the same time. Never went back. A sea of vomit.Have a feeling this year is not going to end well. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Finished watching Breaking Bad last night.

Trying to decide should I start the Wire or Game of Thrones next. Any opinions?

PS: Brian Cranston is an outstanding actor. So hard to believe he's Hal from Malcolm in the Middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

djPSB wrote: »

PS: Brian Cranston is an outstanding actor. So hard to believe he's Hal from Malcolm in the Middle.

I'd go with Game of Thrones first...The Wire is my favourite tv show, and series 4 is the best piece of television ever produced, so anything aftr that might not seem as good. GOT on the other hand is a bit shorter features plenty of jaw dropping moments, and actually made me angry at the books writer....in a good way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

djPSB wrote: »

The Shield is another great show to watch. Not as dark & gritty as The Wire but definitely up there with the best shows I've seen. The culmination of the show is pretty amazing too.

Sons of Anarchy is excellent also, it's created by one of the head guys from The Shield (who also acts in both!). Both of those are definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen them.

Game of Thrones is the best thing on TV right now imo, if it's fortunate enough to be able to see out the story to the end without being cancelled (over 10 seasons I'd say), it will be the best show of all time. The show and the performances within, are tremendous! The abuse that some of the actors get on the streets (mostly the ones who play Joffrey & Cersei) is a testament to how great it is :)

Maybe have a look at Oz? The show that paved the way for the Sopranos and every other show like it. The first three to four seasons are really good last season or two standards drop.

Maybe have a look at Oz? The show that paved the way for the Sopranos and every other show like it. The first three to four seasons are really good last season or two standards drop.

I loved Oz as well, but I know for a fact that a lot of guys wouldn't have the stomach for it. There is a LOT of nudity in it, and not the good kind :pac:.

Great show though, but as you said, the quality drops sharply towards the end.

Gadge wrote: »

Game of Thrones is the best thing on TV right now imo, if it's fortunate enough to be able to see out the story to the end without being cancelled (over 10 seasons I'd say), it will be the best show of all time. The show and the performances within, are tremendous! The abuse that some of the actors get on the streets (mostly the ones who play Joffrey & Cersei) is a testament to how great it is :)

The thought that it might get cancelled is sickening, although I remember HBO saying they were committed to it as long as GRR Martin kept writing...which is probably the most likely threat to the shows future. Although HBO really do shoot themselves in the foot with the dvd releases...it should be ready to go whem the season finishes, or christmas at the latest rather than a week or two before the new season starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My boss has threatened to fire any one who spoils Game Of Thrones for him.

I've gone down the book route and am about 20% of the way through the first one.

Gadge wrote: »
    I loved Oz as well, but I know for a fact that a lot of guys wouldn't have the stomach for it. There is a LOT of nudity in it, and not the good kind :pac:.

Great show though, but as you said, the quality drops sharply towards the end.

Yeh that is true and some of the rape scenes even had me wincing with one eye looking at the screen but a brilliant show all the same.

Boardwalk Empire is worth a looks aswell, starts of really slow gradually getting better as it goes along the 3rd season was brilliant.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My boss has threatened to fire any one who spoils Game Of Thrones for him.

I've gone down the book route and am about 20% of the way through the first one.

Trying to avoid spoilers is a nightmare he has the right idea...I am going through the books as well. Started book 1 about this time last year and am currently 66% through book........2. In my defense though I have read a few other things and getting a comic reader on the kindle hasn't helped. My OH started them about 2 months ago and is currently about to lap me as she re-reads them to scrutinize various theories she came across online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tonight

VXmylTy.gif

Was meant to be off the beer for June, but this will be my first Saturday night in this month. :pac:

Paid €350 for a week in Santa Ponsa on Wednesday, so will have to keep it quiet for the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Was meant to be off the beer for June, but this will be my first Saturday night in this month. :pac:

Paid €350 for a week in Santa Ponsa on Wednesday, so will have to keep it quiet for the next few weeks!

Love a week away. Never been to Santa Ponsa. Have heard great stories though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone who hasn't started GoT should read the books first, the TV show is a good production but doesn't really do it justice, 10 episodes a season is not enough. They did a good job the first season but since then they have been slightly butchering it and changing a lot of basic things. GRRM has even said the books may end differently to the show as they've changed so much. The amount of obvious foreshadowing to big events makes things far too obvious which isn't the case in the books. Also given it's Summer(though that probably doesn't count for much in Ireland) you can read outside.

The Wire and Breaking Bad are things that are primarily TV shows and use that medium to a tee. They are terrific and interesting shows with very different qualities and definitely the best uses of the medium I've seen (though I haven't properly watched the Sopranos). I'm really enjoying this show I found on Netflix called Borgia too (not to be confused with the Borgias) it stars the guy who plays Rawls in the Wire and have been riveted by the first 10 or 11 episodes.

Also watch Always Sunny In Philadelphia or Californication if you are looking for good comedies, 2 of my favourites.

Liam O wrote: »
    Also watch Always Sunny In Philadelphia or Californication if you are looking for good comedies, 2 of my favourites.

+1 to those.

Sunny is hilarious. Californication is very good drama/comedy, that has had a great cast over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I started Philadelphia but never finished it. Modern family is where I'm at at the moment.

Modern family is actually my favourite recent comedy...started arrested development myself recently and it's pretty funny.

Also agree with Liam O about GOT...am starting to come across a few differences between the show and the book and the book handles them better. The background details are also really good and add to the epic feeling of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sunny is one of my favourite shows ever.

Comedy wise Community is fantastic, seasons 1 and 2 are the strongest, season 3 has it's great episodes but is a bit inconsistent while season 4 doesn't reach the heights of the previous 3 seasons but is still worth watching.

Louie is another one that deserves a mention. Written, directed, produced and edited by Louis CK, it's different to the sitcoms that often dominate the comedy scene on television. Very sharp, also quite poignant at times, delivered with very little interference from one of the worlds top comedians.

Non comedy wise, Game of Thrones is absolutely worth watching. A somewhat inconsistent and patchy second season and season 3 (the season just finished) is one of the best seasons of any tv show. It's ridiculously strong from start to finish, confident and with very clear aims throughout.

Luther is back on television on Tuesday also. Bit of a cult hit and probably not for everyone but Idris Elba is terrific.

One of my personal favourites has been Borgen. A Danish political drama that has aired on bbc 4 (possibly also bbc 3), something akin to The West Wing, featuring a strong lead performance courtesy of Sidse Babett Knudsen as Danish prime minister Birgitte Nyborg leading a coalition government and also a brilliant support cast featuring Birgitte Hjort Sorensen and Pilou Asbaek, it's a brain child of Tobias Lindholm, writer of "The Hunt" and writer/director of "A Hijacking" also starring Pilou Asbaek. The majority of the show is in Danish so it is subtitled.

I don't get all to love for community....Ken Jong (I think) puts me off watching anything though. Although I do like Joel McHale...The Soup is pretty good.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I don't get all to love for community....Ken Jong (I think) puts me off watching anything though. Although I do like Joel McHale...The Soup is pretty good.

Ye I've heard that's it's the kind of show that splits people down the middle. Personally I think it's sharp, witty, confident but also is a show with a heart. Throw in Joel McHale, Jim Rash and a mild obsession I may or may not have concerning Alison Brie, and it's a winner for me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

So eh off topic stuff, anyone here do Hell & Back recently? I done it for the second time and will be signing up to do it again in November, hard but good craic.
    Was going to do it with a few mates this year but then I tore my ACL. Planning on doing it next time; my mates had a great time.

• Advertisement

Was going to do it with a few mates this year but then I tore my ACL. Planning on doing it next time; my mates had a great time.

You definitely should, it was my second time doing it and I'm planning on doing it again in November. Its going to be a bit longer again at 13k but I love every second of it weird considering you go through mud swamps, rivers, submerge yourself in skips of water, get shot at with pellet guns etc but there's good banter between everyone doing it.

Plus if your like me it give me something to aim for to keep mmyself motivated to stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Watched Game of Thrones recently
    Why does everyone die? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anyone thinking of heading over to Brazil next year?

It's really tempting but I don't particularly want to get shot or kidnapped. :pac: It's meant to be crazy dangerous.

It's really tempting but I don't particularly want to get shot or kidnapped. :pac: It's meant to be crazy dangerous.

Far worse countries then Brazil. Not even close to dangerous if you are not stupid.

Man if you dont give **** if Ireland are there or not and you have money to go then go!!

You wont regret it..

What a country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As dangerous as Longford? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Far worse countries then Brazil. Not even close to dangerous if you are not stupid.

Man if you dont give **** if Ireland are there or not and you have money to go then go!!

You wont regret it..

What a country!

I've always wanted to go to Rio and haven't been to a World Cup so it'll mark two things off the list.

The part in bold is where the problem lies :pac: it's going to be a big party with a lot of alcohol! Have you ever seen how crazy Carnival is over there? The World Cup will blow that out of the water.

Have you ever been over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Watched Game of Thrones recently
    Why does everyone die? :(

Read the next book (well Storm of Swords part 2) and come back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anyone see the F1 over the weekend?

Was interesting to say the least it was like a lottery to see whos tyre is going to go next, going to miss Webber from next year too, guy is a fantastic driver and not afraid to speak his mind.

It was good to see Vettel go out as well as it means the championship is now a bit more open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

GavRedKing wrote: »

Was interesting to say the least it was like a lottery to see whos tyre is going to go next, going to miss Webber from next year too, guy is a fantastic driver and not afraid to speak his mind.

It was good to see Vettel go out as well as it means the championship is now a bit more open.

One of very few "sports" I couldn't sit down and enjoy watching. Each to their own and all that but it would bore me to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

GavRedKing wrote: »

Missed the first 8 laps as I'd only finished work at 7.30, fell asleep and was awoken by Ben Edwards screaming "Hamilton's tyre has gone".

Good race all the same, the final few laps after the safety car were immense with Alonso, Hamilton, Webber all flying. Was hoping that Webber would catch Rosberg, but it wasn't meant to be. Alonso is only a win away from Vettel now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement